Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How is CX F HKG -> HND?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2023, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

How is CX F HKG -> HND?

Hey - I'm considering a redemption here for travel in a couple of months. CX F is a bucket list product obviously, and I'm wondering if the experience here is similar enough to CX long haul F to be worth the premium in miles (27.5k AS miles vs 10k CX miles in Y). The flight is just long enough (4 hours) that it seems like I have a good amount of time to enjoy it, while also being a somewhat reasonable cost, and the timing being perfect for my existing travel plans. As much as I'd love to redeem for long haul travel between the US and HK, award space seems like it'll be hard to come by even putting aside the fact that there are no 77W's operating between the US and HK right now

TL;DR - is the experience in F on this route worth it vs saving my miles for a long haul redemption down the road?
Old Jan 9, 2023, 7:41 pm

Programs: A bit of this and a bit of that
I'd try to do it the other way around, HND-HKG since you'll get a proper lunch, with nicer champagne (and wine)and a longer flight (3:30hs vs almost 5hs). You can experience JAL's F lounge in HND and then CX F lounge in HKG.
HarbourGent and djsflynn like this.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by xyxyzn
Hey - I'm considering a redemption here for travel in a couple of months. CX F is a bucket list product obviously, and I'm wondering if the experience here is similar enough to CX long haul F to be worth the premium in miles (27.5k AS miles vs 10k CX miles in Y). The flight is just long enough (4 hours) that it seems like I have a good amount of time to enjoy it, while also being a somewhat reasonable cost, and the timing being perfect for my existing travel plans. As much as I'd love to redeem for long haul travel between the US and HK, award space seems like it'll be hard to come by even putting aside the fact that there are no 77W's operating between the US and HK right now

TL;DR - is the experience in F on this route worth it vs saving my miles for a long haul redemption down the road?
How many miles do you have?
Old Jan 9, 2023, 9:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
As discussed above, CX548 is a breakfast service, that I found the offerings to be similar if not identical to Business Class (or PEY for that matter). CX549 the HND-HKG segment is where there’s a Kaiseki menu, and more differentiated offerings in First Class.

And I tend to agree, if you have limited miles and have to think about optimizing experiences with them, maybe HKG-HND F isn’t worth it. IMO, that flight is perfectly enjoyable just to be in Premium Economy (evidently CX used 773s on CX542/3, which Business Class is the PE seats and now short haul PE has Business Class level food too)
Rozen30 and AC340-541 like this.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by shd9
As discussed above, CX548 is a breakfast service, that I found the offerings to be similar if not identical to Business Class (or PEY for that matter). CX549 the HND-HKG segment is where there’s a Kaiseki menu, and more differentiated offerings in First Class.

And I tend to agree, if you have limited miles and have to think about optimizing experiences with them, maybe HKG-HND F isn’t worth it. IMO, that flight is perfectly enjoyable just to be in Premium Economy (evidently CX used 773s on CX542/3, which Business Class is the PE seats and now short haul PE has Business Class level food too)
So CX548 PE breakfast has similar level of food to that of business class ?
Old Jan 10, 2023, 2:41 am

I can only find CX543 for redemption for HND-HKG with AS miles. Maybe CX549 is not available for partner awards?
Old Jan 10, 2023, 8:00 am

Programs: JMB Sapphire, OneWorld Sapphire
Originally Posted by tuchop
I'd try to do it the other way around, HND-HKG since you'll get a proper lunch, with nicer champagne (and wine)and a longer flight (3:30hs vs almost 5hs). You can experience JAL's F lounge in HND and then CX F lounge in HKG.
if im flying HND-HKG-MNL (F then J seat), will I still get access to CX F when i arrive in HKG?
Old Jan 10, 2023, 8:57 am

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
now short haul PE has Business Class level food too)
Haven’t been on CX for years since the epidemic. When did CX start offering business class level food on SH now? This is really a big step up for SH PEY!
clubeurope likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by peteryu
So CX548 PE breakfast has similar level of food to that of business class ?
Originally Posted by SLGO
Haven’t been on CX for years since the epidemic. When did CX start offering business class level food on SH now? This is really a big step up for SH PEY!
At least based on my experiences with HND and ICN, PEY meals are now served on porcelain plates instead of the alum foil plates in Y. The appetizers / fruits / soba is served on a smaller round porcelain plate that says "Generic J bowl" (if you have been to Wing F recently, the one used outside the dining room). The quality of the food was a significant step up from what I remembered in Y.

Maybe now that CX don't have to worry about cannibalizing their regional J product that much (fewer 773s, no KA flights), they are able to improve their offerings in PEY
Old Jan 10, 2023, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by abielp
if im flying HND-HKG-MNL (F then J seat), will I still get access to CX F when i arrive in HKG?
Maybe things have changed with China and Hong Kong recently relaxing COVID restrictions, but I did this same flight two weeks ago and all that was open was The Pier business class lounge in Hong Kong. They had a separate section roped off for F, but it was just really less crowded seating. Lounge was crowded, far from Manila gate, and only had about 15 minutes to visit as going back through security after the Haneda flight was slow. The airport had mainland China flights separated from the rest and I believe they got to use the Wing First lounge.

At Haneda they invited my to use the Cathay lounge as check in, but went to the JAL First lounge instead. Was the only person in the Red Suite section of the lounge which was nice!
​​​​
abielp likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 12:53 am

At least based on my experiences with HND and ICN, PEY meals are now served on porcelain plates instead of the alum foil plates in Y. The appetizers / fruits / soba is served on a smaller round porcelain plate that says "Generic J bowl" (if you have been to Wing F recently, the one used outside the dining room). The quality of the food was a significant step up from what I remembered in Y.

Maybe now that CX don't have to worry about cannibalizing their regional J product that much (fewer 773s, no KA flights), they are able to improve their offerings in PEY
Thanks pal. Nice to know as I am flying PEY to HND in April
Old Jan 11, 2023, 1:58 am

Programs: JMB Sapphire, OneWorld Sapphire
Originally Posted by jdkgdd
Maybe things have changed with China and Hong Kong recently relaxing COVID restrictions, but I did this same flight two weeks ago and all that was open was The Pier business class lounge in Hong Kong. They had a separate section roped off for F, but it was just really less crowded seating. Lounge was crowded, far from Manila gate, and only had about 15 minutes to visit as going back through security after the Haneda flight was slow. The airport had mainland China flights separated from the rest and I believe they got to use the Wing First lounge.

At Haneda they invited my to use the Cathay lounge as check in, but went to the JAL First lounge instead. Was the only person in the Red Suite section of the lounge which was nice!
​​​​
Thanks for this. So in theory, I can access CX F if its available? I remember before that CX will honor lower seat class for this scenario.

Edit: Apparently, they now honor higher seat class. Thanks for this!

Last edited by abielp; Jan 11, 2023 at 2:03 am
Old Jan 11, 2023, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by abielp
Actually this is according to OW rules. CX might not consciously realize this, but HND-HKG is considered long-haul in the winter as per OW lounge access guidance (>5hrs). So at HKG F lounge based on “long haul to short haul connection” is appropriate
abielp and sushimaru like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.