Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

HKG Transit on Separate Tickets, Both Cathay, Rules?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2022, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, *A Gold w/ Krisflyer Gold

Hi all, I was lucky enough to get one of those CX F awards through to London! However, due to sparse intra-Asia award availability I have been unable to add a segment on CX to connect to the ticket. I was thinking of buying a one-way in Economy for this connection, but I'm concerned that, since the CX F onward flight is booked with Partner miles, the check-in desk for my first leg may believe I mean to enter Hong Kong and will expect the Antigen test.

Has anyone done this recently and experienced success doing just the transit requirements? (ie. No Test)?
Old Dec 19, 2022, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by 18wheeler_vanrekt
Hi all, I was lucky enough to get one of those CX F awards through to London! However, due to sparse intra-Asia award availability I have been unable to add a segment on CX to connect to the ticket. I was thinking of buying a one-way in Economy for this connection, but I'm concerned that, since the CX F onward flight is booked with Partner miles, the check-in desk for my first leg may believe I mean to enter Hong Kong and will expect the Antigen test.

Has anyone done this recently and experienced success doing just the transit requirements? (ie. No Test)?
Might be safer to buy a CX flight in Y.
Whichever way the CX flight to LHR is "paid" (cash, TA, MPC or partner award), there will be a CX PNR that the check-in agent can see.

Anyway a self-administered RAT is trivial (take a pic with name date and time just in case).
A bit more bothersome might be to fill the Health Declaration form. But if you are vaccinated, that will be very easy too. But you could even fill it at the departing airport if they refuse to check you through.
But if CX to CX they will through-check as per their policy
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...in-policy.html
Old Dec 20, 2022, 11:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, *A Gold w/ Krisflyer Gold
Thanks! I got a CX flight into HKG w/ a 6-hour connection to my LHR flight. Assuming that'll be plenty for any transit formalities I may encounter at HKG...

Sounds like I'll just have access to The Pier? What are amenities there like these days?
Old Dec 20, 2022, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by 18wheeler_vanrekt
Thanks! I got a CX flight into HKG w/ a 6-hour connection to my LHR flight. Assuming that'll be plenty for any transit formalities I may encounter at HKG...

Sounds like I'll just have access to The Pier? What are amenities there like these days?
There is NO transit formalities. Just make sure that you follow the directions for transit and do not go with most of the folks entering HK: don't go to PCR test.
All you have is a security checkpoint for getting into the departure level.

Pier J is decent. Can get crowded nowadays.
I don't know if they have restored a true F section now that CX is restarting F. They had cordoned an area for OWE with somewhat-improved service. I don't know where it stands now.
Six hours is a long time, even for a good lounge.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 2:14 am

Programs: BA GGL IHG PlatAMB HH Dia
Back in the days CX was always good in check through bags on separate tickets within Oneworld.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 10:02 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by brunos
I don't know if they have restored a true F section now that CX is restarting F. They had cordoned an area for OWE with somewhat-improved service. I don't know where it stands now.
As of last weekend, still the case.

Originally Posted by denkigroove
Back in the days CX was always good in check through bags on separate tickets within Oneworld.
CX still does it today, not just to oneworld but any interline partner. See the link brunos mentioned.

kevino likes this.

Last edited by ernestnywang; Dec 22, 2022 at 10:08 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.