Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Operational upgrade without adding membership number/declaring status during check-in

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Operational upgrade without adding membership number/declaring status during check-in

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2022, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX diamond

Does CX still offer operational upgrade given the changes over the past couple of years?
I have a few upcoming trips in Dec but I would like to have the points posted into 2023 so they can be counted for points accumulation in 2023, otherwise whatever I accrue in 2022, they will be reset to zero by Jan 1, 2023.
One way to do this is not to add in my membership number when I check in. I can add that back in to claim points and mileage in 2023.
If I do not want my membership number added to my ticket during check-in:
- do I still have access to CX lounges (I am CX diamond)?
- If operational upgrades still exist, will I lose the chance to operational upgrades if I don't add my membership number during check in as the system may not recognize my diamond status?

Thanks in advance if anyone has similar experience or insights to share.
Old Nov 26, 2022, 10:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
I don't know if your plan to delay the points posting will really work (I would have thought Cathay is smart enough to avoid this), but without that Diamond number you will not get any lounge access or any chance of an operational upgrade as you will be treated as a zero status passenger. If you do something like go into the lounge, or go to the first class check-in, the staff will helpfully add your Cathay number to the ticket, giving you access, but also posting them to your account.
Old Nov 26, 2022, 10:57 pm

And the points will be backdate to when you take the flights. Not when you request it.
boss315 and trooper like this.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 12:26 am

Just wanna clarify - The membership points would be reset on your annual renewal date, which means 1 Jan of each year? It's the same date for everybody right?

Last edited by VE105; Nov 27, 2022 at 12:37 am
Old Nov 27, 2022, 1:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbs2716g
And the points will be backdate to when you take the flights. Not when you request it.
Actually it was the customer representative of CX who suggested the idea of not providing membership number during check-in and then reclaim the points and miles until after Jan 1, 2023 so the points for my trips can be posted into 2023 and not 2022. Though I am not sure if this is valid or not.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 1:56 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Did this change, with the new ‘Cathay’? Used to always be the crediting date, and not the activity date, that counted.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 4:05 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Points will credit as per flight date, not claim date. So forget about trying to trick the system that way
Old Nov 27, 2022, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
Points will credit as per flight date, not claim date. So forget about trying to trick the system that way
It it a new rule? Under Marco Polo it is based on credit date.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by worldflyer22
Does CX still offer operational upgrade given the changes over the past couple of years?
I have a few upcoming trips in Dec but I would like to have the points posted into 2023 so they can be counted for points accumulation in 2023, otherwise whatever I accrue in 2022, they will be reset to zero by Jan 1, 2023.
One way to do this is not to add in my membership number when I check in. I can add that back in to claim points and mileage in 2023.
If I do not want my membership number added to my ticket during check-in:
- do I still have access to CX lounges (I am CX diamond)?
- If operational upgrades still exist, will I lose the chance to operational upgrades if I don't add my membership number during check in as the system may not recognize my diamond status?

Thanks in advance if anyone has similar experience or insights to share.
I used to do this all the time once I hit Diamond renewal in the middle of my membership year. I would then NOT put my membership number in the booking (I did not care about operation upgrades that much, since taking paid Business Class is good enough for me). I would then visit the First Class Lounge, show my Diamond card, and would be let in without issues.

When my membership clock reset, I would then claim for the flights taken. Cathay would post these according to CREDITING DATE and not flight date, so all Club Points would post to the new membership year.
Bigu2023 likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 6:12 am

Not under the old system. Do you know that this loophole was closed under the new system?
Old Nov 27, 2022, 6:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
I used to do this all the time once I hit Diamond renewal in the middle of my membership year. I would then NOT put my membership number in the booking (I did not care about operation upgrades that much, since taking paid Business Class is good enough for me). I would then visit the First Class Lounge, show my Diamond card, and would be let in without issues.

When my membership clock reset, I would then claim for the flights taken. Cathay would post these according to CREDITING DATE and not flight date, so all Club Points would post to the new membership year.
Back before the pandemic, my points posting at CX went by credit date, not activity date, though I had not tried doing it close to membership reset deadline. I asked two CX hotline reps these past couple of days and one said credit date, the other said activity date.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 5:00 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by littlevoices
I don't know if your plan to delay the points posting will really work (I would have thought Cathay is smart enough to avoid this), but without that Diamond number you will not get any lounge access or any chance of an operational upgrade as you will be treated as a zero status passenger. If you do something like go into the lounge, or go to the first class check-in, the staff will helpfully add your Cathay number to the ticket, giving you access, but also posting them to your account.
Op-up definitely no, as CX will not know you are a member. Pre-pandemic though, I never had problem showing the physical card along with my boarding pass without the membership number to enter the CX lounge.

First-hand experience or just guessing? As others have said, this is not how things used to work. I credited a couple of flights from 2021 in 2022 and the points counted for 2022.
DiamondMile, jagmeets and a1983 like this.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 7:53 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Had a bunch of flights from Q4, ‘22 post over the past few days (excruciatingly long processing time for the retro claims..possibly because AA code/QR metal etc..but, definitely the longest processing time I have seen over the past 10 years or so).

All posted to the current year. @ernestnywang had allayed my fears from his own experience in the meanwhile- Tqvm!

So, old hands, all good on optimising flights where status isn’t needed/ retro-credits etc.

I might actually need to read up about the companion gold card this year.
ernestnywang, Chatter and Bigu2023 like this.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 11:16 pm

Programs: CX DM (OWE), TK Elite (*A Gold)
Originally Posted by jagmeets
Had a bunch of flights from Q4, ‘22 post over the past few days (excruciatingly long processing time for the retro claims..possibly because AA code/QR metal etc..but, definitely the longest processing time I have seen over the past 10 years or so).

All posted to the current year. @ernestnywang had allayed my fears from his own experience in the meanwhile- Tqvm!

So, old hands, all good on optimising flights where status isn’t needed/ retro-credits etc.

I might actually need to read up about the companion gold card this year.
I just noticed a AA Metal/ QR Code didnt post. JFK-DOH. Any idea if you can submit a claim after 6 months? Sounds like they took you to the cleaners on your claim.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 8:30 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by beach86
I just noticed a AA Metal/ QR Code didnt post. JFK-DOH. Any idea if you can submit a claim after 6 months? Sounds like they took you to the cleaners on your claim.
IF the MPC/Cathay/AsiaMiles number is on the boarding pass, you already "claimed", but they made a mistake. Just "remind" them. If not, game over.

Though, maybe give it a thorough check, whether your booking class would be eligible for posting on MPC/Cathay/AsiaMiles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.