Search

LHR Cathay Questions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2022, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
LHR Cathay Questions

Hi All,

Just had a little hop on a business trip from LHR to HKG come in on the 17:15 in December.

Does anyone know what time CX's check in desks open? My Client is also taking the flight, and was hoping to show them Qantas and Cathay lounges.......14:15 may be a tad tight one way or the other.

Also, are masks mandated for all Cathay flights from LHR/HKG?
Old Nov 2, 2022, 10:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Silver, Hertz President's Club
Originally Posted by Neil Scrivener
Hi All,

Just had a little hop on a business trip from LHR to HKG come in on the 17:15 in December.

Does anyone know what time CX's check in desks open? My Client is also taking the flight, and was hoping to show them Qantas and Cathay lounges.......14:15 may be a tad tight one way or the other.

Also, are masks mandated for all Cathay flights from LHR/HKG?
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...w-airport.html

Desks are open 4.5 hours before departure, so 12:45 local time at the moment. I would suggest completing Fly Ready before hand/completing online check in so the actual time spent at the desk is minimised.

Yes. Masks are mandated for all flights into/out of Hong Kong. They are not, however, mandated at LHR so you will only have to put your mask on from when you board the flight up until you get into a hotel room/home in Hong Kong (based on current COVID rules).
Old Nov 3, 2022, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by CarefreeBA
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...w-airport.html

Desks are open 4.5 hours before departure, so 12:45 local time at the moment. I would suggest completing Fly Ready before hand/completing online check in so the actual time spent at the desk is minimised.

Yes. Masks are mandated for all flights into/out of Hong Kong. They are not, however, mandated at LHR so you will only have to put your mask on from when you board the flight up until you get into a hotel room/home in Hong Kong (based on current COVID rules).
FlyReady is no more - you can go straight to online check in.

You will need to get the Dept of Health QR code when you submit your details and your negative LFA/RAT within 24 hrs of departure.
CarefreeBA likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 4:15 am
Original Poster

Thanks guys!

I'll be there for 12:45!

Noted on the check in stuff. Does anyone have any tips on how this whole 3-day testing works? As I understand it you're tested on entry to HKG, before you're 'allowed' to go to the hotel. Is this a process that takes hours when landing?
Old Nov 3, 2022, 4:37 am

Programs: CX Life Time,TG,
I arrived yesterday. It took nanoseconds, so fast I hardly noticed it had been done.
Old Nov 5, 2022, 5:11 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Noted on the check in stuff. Does anyone have any tips on how this whole 3-day testing works? As I understand it you're tested on entry to HKG, before you're 'allowed' to go to the hotel. Is this a process that takes hours when landing?
Think of it as an extra step before immigration - you need to pass through immigration before you're "allowed" to go to the hotel too.

"Nanoseconds" is hyperbole, but it's relatively quick because not too many people are entering HK. This may change if more people enter HK in the future, which may happen if there are further relaxations of testing requirements. For me last week the queuing and testing took about 7-8 minutes. The testing stations are located on the arrivals level around gates 32/33 but the direction of flow is away from the airport exit - so even if you landed at gate 23, after the testing you have to take the train to immigration along with thousands of mainland Chinese arrivals, which adds another 7-8 minutes.

You are free to leave the airport after collecting any bags. The test result is sent by text message once they've processed it, which takes about 3-4 hours or maybe overnight.

It is not 3-day testing. You must do one or two tests daily for the next 7 days after you arrive. The daily antigen tests are not enforced although it is wise to keep the photos of your results in case you get asked. The PCR tests on day 2, 4 and 6 are enforced, at least if you ever want to come to HK again... it seems that the government is taking 2-3 months to catch up with people who missed these tests.

0+3 means that you can't eat in restaurants until 9am on the 3rd morning after you arrive, it does not mean you are completely free. Regarding masks, if you want to run the risk of testing positive on day 6 and subsequently being required to self-isolate for another 7 days that's up to you. On the other hand, if you can get a certificate of recent infection before you arrive, then testing positive in HK will likely be regarded as the old infection and you probably won't be required to self-isolate (you still have to do the PCR tests even if the results don't affect anything).
Old Nov 5, 2022, 6:59 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Originally Posted by :D!
It is not 3-day testing. You must do one or two tests daily for the next 7 days after you arrive. The daily antigen tests are not enforced although it is wise to keep the photos of your results in case you get asked. The PCR tests on day 2, 4 and 6 are enforced, at least if you ever want to come to HK again... it seems that the government is taking 2-3 months to catch up with people who missed these tests.
Not quite, do need to do daily RAT tests and report on the ECMSS website for 6 days, each day with an upload of a photo of the daily RAT test. Am in the process of doing that right now.

One strange thing is nobody asked me for a copy of the RAT test required 24 hours in advance of flying.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the comments/updates guys. We got this!

We leave on 2nd, and hopefully return home on the 8th December.

It's going to be an interesting one for sure!

I've two more questions if I may:

1. Does the result have to be via text, or can it be via WhatsApp? Seems 02 don't roam to Hong Kong - though my US roaming is terrible!

2. Once released from the airport, what's the deal at the hotel? Is is strictly room service? Can the in-hotel facilities be used.........or is it prison for 3 days?

Thanks!
N
Old Nov 7, 2022, 5:43 pm

1 Dedicated website where you acknowledge penalties for not following the rules, answer brief questions and upload photo https://nhqsdata.hqss.ogcio.gov.hk/ibt/#/login
2. No problem for the first 3 days can go out as much as you like just not to restaurants, bars, and certain other public places. You will need the Leave Home Safe app on your phone
Old Nov 7, 2022, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Thanks for the comments/updates guys. We got this!

We leave on 2nd, and hopefully return home on the 8th December.

It's going to be an interesting one for sure!

I've two more questions if I may:

1. Does the result have to be via text, or can it be via WhatsApp? Seems 02 don't roam to Hong Kong - though my US roaming is terrible!

2. Once released from the airport, what's the deal at the hotel? Is is strictly room service? Can the in-hotel facilities be used.........or is it prison for 3 days?

Thanks!
N
1 All test results are sent via SMS. Your phone has to be SMS capable of HK usage to receive them. The system is automated.

2. You can buy takeaway to bring back to your hotel room. You cannot eat in any catering establishments during the first two full days after arrival. There are many places that you cannot enter until the third day.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Nicc HK
Not quite, do need to do daily RAT tests and report on the ECMSS website for 6 days, each day with an upload of a photo of the daily RAT test. Am in the process of doing that right now.

One strange thing is nobody asked me for a copy of the RAT test required 24 hours in advance of flying.
1. You don't need to upload photos of the daily RATs in HK. It is just an alternative option to keeping those on your phone or elsewhere.

2. The HK government does not require that you show your pre-departure RAT upon boarding, just that you state that you do one in the Health Declaration form, generating the green code. Several airlines, including CX, follow the rule and are satisfied with the Green QR code. Others still require a photo.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by brunos
1. You don't need to upload photos of the daily RATs in HK. It is just an alternative option to keeping those on your phone or elsewhere.

2. The HK government does not require that you show your pre-departure RAT upon boarding, just that you state that you do one in the Health Declaration form, generating the green code. Several airlines, including CX, follow the rule and are satisfied with the Green QR code. Others still require a photo.
1. I reread the SMS sent and it said 'You can report....' which is not as specific as either 'must report' or 'may report' so a little nebulous but reads to me more like 'may', so definitely not must. My personal view is that I will continue with this until completion and also for my next trip on a just in case basis
2. I just found this odd rather than anything else.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 1:56 am
Original Poster

Thanks guys!

Looks like it's room service or takeaways then

I'll get my head into all the websites/paperwork side next week! May be back with more questions!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.