Wiki Posts
Search

Birthday Upgrades Canned

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2022, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Cathay Pacific - Diamond
Birthday Upgrades Canned

Looks like part of the elevated experience is to kill the upgrades CX used to offer to elite members travelling on their birthday.

I contacted CX to ask about their policy position on this, and got the following:

"We would like to let you know that we do not offer free upgrade for our members' birthday".
Old Oct 25, 2022, 11:26 pm

Programs: Cathay Diamond and Singapore Gold
Is this reply a result of the birthday upgrade being an unpublished benefit and they do not want to publicise nor commit to?

As a datapoint and being curious about the existence of this benefit post covid, i tried it on my actual day earlier this month, and i got upgraded with my partner for both the intra-asia sectors.. The first upgrade happened at the check in counter, while in hkg it beeped at the boarding gate.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 1:53 am

Programs: CX DM / SQ PPS / VN Platinum
Originally Posted by CX748
Looks like part of the elevated experience is to kill the upgrades CX used to offer to elite members travelling on their birthday.

I contacted CX to ask about their policy position on this, and got the following:

"We would like to let you know that we do not offer free upgrade for our members' birthday".
I doubt that is a change from what they would have said 5 years ago. Cant expect them to confirm something that is an unofficial perk.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Yes, birthday upgrades are an unpublished perk, and it's best not to draw too much attention to them, lest a scrupulous manager learn about it and attempt to kill off the perk entirely.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 7:41 pm

I don't think they will ever say in black and white text they offer birthday upgrades. Best we can do is monitor the birthday upgrades thread here in this forum and see if anyone gets one soon.
matterflyer likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
I try my best not to fly on my birthday, the idea is to be wherever I am supposed to be already. So I've never availed of this perk, published or not.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 3:52 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
It’s an unpublished benefit that is still around.

On a flight to Paris last month a DM friend of mine was supposed to get it (‘Flub’- there were >6 DMs and he was told by HKG ground staff he had the priority) - but before boarding was declined as CX blocked out the whole flub cabin for a very popular HK pop star last minute I was told. My DM friend was reinstated to the mini cabin and got a box of chocolates instead. LOL
Old Oct 27, 2022, 9:15 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
[Snip]...CX blocked out the whole flub cabin for a very popular HK pop star last minute I was told. My DM friend was reinstated to the mini cabin and got a box of chocolates instead. LOL [Snip]
Old Oct 31, 2022, 3:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Cathay Pacific - Diamond
Originally Posted by Jane's Addiction
I doubt that is a change from what they would have said 5 years ago. Cant expect them to confirm something that is an unofficial perk.
You're probably right... My expectation of a confirmed "yes" might be unrealistic!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.