Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Cathay's London operations for 2022/23 and beyond

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay's London operations for 2022/23 and beyond

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2023, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX Asia Miles
Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
Indeed! I much prefer A359/A35X to B77W. It seems that A35X has a similar capacity as B77W:

A35X: 46C + 32W + 256Y = 334 seats.
B77W: 40C +32W + 296Y = 368 seats.

Therefore, A35X even has a larger C cabin. Maybe we can see at least one A35X serving the LHR route?
Second you! Aside the big benefit of having a noticeably quieter cabin, the A359/1 cabin products are also far better and more modern across the board vs the 77W. Granted, Y has now been updated with higher quality screens and increased screen size (alas to a tighter 3-4-3 config). Interestingly, the cushioning in Y on the 77W does feel noticeably thinner than that in the A359/1, one of the reasons why I'll be sad to see the A350s no longer serve London come March. Hoping they'll also update PEY, it does look noticeably dated when compared to what is featured in the A350s.
TomYoung likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 4:33 pm

Programs: QRPC, BAEC
Originally Posted by drivingflyingwalking
Agree it is a little surprising they wouldn't keep the 257/256 rotation as an airbus since it's often lighter on the loading, but I was told that LHR is a massive cargo port for Cathay and the 77W offers more space/weight capacity for the cargo customers and is their equipment of choice! I guess we forget that the self loading freight isn't the only customer on these flights 😂!
Given the longer flight times at the moment would be interesting to see cargo payload comparisons between the 77W and A35K
Old Jan 18, 2024, 4:18 am
Original Poster

London frequencies

Just returned to London with CX via HKG. An excellent set of flights overall, notwithstanding a series of delays when I flew LHR-HKG a few weeks ago. Definitely preferred the A351 on CX238 versus the 77W (CX251)- as others have experienced and commented previously, the A350 feels much more spacious and certainly quieter over the 77W, so I'm glad I got the chance to fly on it before LHR flights are fully reverted to the 777 come March.

I am very interested to see what CX plan RE. capacity in London now that this route is becoming busier and in higher demand. While in transit in HKG yesterday, both my flight (CX251) and CX255 were completely full and the ground staff mentioned that this is common now, with overbooking also occurring on the two overnight flights to London. Luggage space on board during boarding was also limited, with cabin crew having to check many bags into the hold. I'm wondering wether CX will try and add further capacity to LHR (unlikely due to slot availability) or reopen LGW this year, as it seems like more capacity is needed?
US HK UK flyer likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 12:50 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, CX Asia Miles, FlyingBlue, TrueBlue
Pilot issue is likely to mean not much headway addressing capacity on this route for awhile I should think, unless it's prioritized over others.

Possibly at best in the short term we see them shift capacity during holidays (especially school holidays) when the route is especially popular and others less so.

It is worth noting though that CX has been in conversations with Birmingham about a route there, which could relieve some LHR traffic.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by JW95
Just returned to London with CX via HKG. An excellent set of flights overall, notwithstanding a series of delays when I flew LHR-HKG a few weeks ago. Definitely preferred the A351 on CX238 versus the 77W (CX251)- as others have experienced and commented previously, the A350 feels much more spacious and certainly quieter over the 77W, so I'm glad I got the chance to fly on it before LHR flights are fully reverted to the 777 come March.

I am very interested to see what CX plan RE. capacity in London now that this route is becoming busier and in higher demand. While in transit in HKG yesterday, both my flight (CX251) and CX255 were completely full and the ground staff mentioned that this is common now, with overbooking also occurring on the two overnight flights to London. Luggage space on board during boarding was also limited, with cabin crew having to check many bags into the hold. I'm wondering wether CX will try and add further capacity to LHR (unlikely due to slot availability) or reopen LGW this year, as it seems like more capacity is needed?
During the winter 2023 season CX leased 5 weekly LHR slots to EK and I am not sure whether CX will continue the lease in the summer 2024 season since both CX and EK have not opened reservations for these flights.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 12:55 am

Programs: Cathay Lifetime Diamond
The lease to EK was for the winter season only -it will used by Cathay for the summer schedule.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 1:01 am

Given the number of emails I'm getting from CX advertising sales ex London for HKG and Asia/Pacific I wonder if forward bookings are looking materially down compared to just a few months ago.

Certainly there is a lot more cheap Business class fares to BKK/SIN from LHR on CX compared to just a couple of months ago.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 1:33 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
BHX-HKG would be good to see!
Old Jan 19, 2024, 11:02 am

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by SW7London
Given the number of emails I'm getting from CX advertising sales ex London for HKG and Asia/Pacific I wonder if forward bookings are looking materially down compared to just a few months ago.

Certainly there is a lot more cheap Business class fares to BKK/SIN from LHR on CX compared to just a couple of months ago.
they would be massively down
no one wants to book on an airline that cant gurantee their planes will take off.

It's the basics of running an airline.

BA can at least guarantee their flights to HKG will depart.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 1:31 pm

I find these "the routes must be empty" replies to a post about how the route was full hilarious.

HK was Heathrow's 12th busiest route last year, beating Singapore:
https://skift.com/2024/01/11/ranked-...ngers-in-2023/

...and HK was not fully open until March.

Most of the capacity on that route isn't the only other competitor, BA.

The sales are likely because it's not peak period but they want to maintain capacity / slots for peak periods. Many airlines do sales after the holidays; my inbox is full of them.
Reply1984 likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by NZflyer777
they would be massively down
no one wants to book on an airline that cant gurantee their planes will take off.

It's the basics of running an airline.

BA can at least guarantee their flights to HKG will depart.
Even with all the pilot issues CX is facing right now, I would definitely (speaking as both a BA and CX flyer) trust CX more that my plane will take off, that my IFE will work, that my bags will arrive (!) and that I will get better service.

I've said it before and I stand by till today: CX's position as a top tier Asian airline indeed is in flux, with airlines like Singapore, JAL/ANA, EVA/Starlux pushing them hard. But make no mistake, CX is still miles ahead of any European or North American airline right now.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 5:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Isochronous
BHX-HKG would be good to see!
BHX would be an interesting choice for CX. However, if they are now looking at expanding capacity in the UK, I would have thought they would seek to do this by either adding another frequency to LHR (e.g. using Cathay cargo slots to add another passenger flight) or reopen LGW. LHR is already at 5 daily on certain days of the week, and I'd expect that it is only a matter of time before we have 5 daily 7 days a week with the 77W (A350-1000 will no longer serve LHR from March).
Old Jan 20, 2024, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
BHX would be an interesting choice for CX. However, if they are now looking at expanding capacity in the UK, I would have thought they would seek to do this by either adding another frequency to LHR (e.g. using Cathay cargo slots to add another passenger flight) or reopen LGW. LHR is already at 5 daily on certain days of the week, and I'd expect that it is only a matter of time before we have 5 daily 7 days a week with the 77W (A350-1000 will no longer serve LHR from March).
CX is CURRENTLY flying 3 or 4 (twice a week) flights.
To increase in February to 4 or 5, and some odd days still 3..
Whether the plan to offer 5 daily 77W will materialize is open to debate.
And demand is seasonal with British school holidays.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 10:13 am

I suspect it has to do with the number of HKers who have moved to the Birmingham area. Some of the London cargo might also already be from the Midlands, in which case the BHX flight could handle that as well.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by US HK UK flyer
I suspect it has to do with the number of HKers who have moved to the Birmingham area. Some of the London cargo might also already be from the Midlands, in which case the BHX flight could handle that as well.
Many recent arrived HKers do not have plans to fly to HKG in the next many years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.