Mixed Carrier Open Jaw Redemption

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2022, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Mixed Carrier Open Jaw Redemption

If I wanted to book the following in J using asia miles on AY and CX:

SIN-HEL
HEL-NRT-HKG

Would this be eligible to book as a mixed carrier return fare with open jaw at origin? Getting mixed messages from representatives at Asia Miles.

Thanks
Old Mar 10, 2022, 10:16 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by AddictedSon
If I wanted to book the following in J using asia miles on AY and CX:

SIN-HEL
HEL-NRT-HKG

Would this be eligible to book as a mixed carrier return fare with open jaw at origin? Getting mixed messages from representatives at Asia Miles.

Thanks
This is not a mixed-carrier round-trip redemption. A return redemption cannot have an open jaw at the origin between different countries/territories. Please refer to https://www.asiamiles.com/en/terms-a...onditions.html
An open jaw at the point of origin (for an itinerary with international flights only) can only be made between different cities of a country/region.
Nevertheless, a round-trip does not save you miles. It costs the same as 2 one-ways. The only benefit is, if you need to refund, you only have to pay the penalty once, and if one of your flights is changed, you can change the other ones for free as well.

On the other hand, while 2 one-ways would require at least 70000*2=140000 AM, if you take HEL-NRT, NRT-HKG, or both on JL instead, you can turn this into a oneworld multi-carrier award (which needs 2 airlines other than CX), and that would only require 135000AM.
Kongduino likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
This is not a mixed-carrier round-trip redemption. A return redemption cannot have an open jaw at the origin between different countries/territories. Please refer to https://www.asiamiles.com/en/terms-a...onditions.html

Nevertheless, a round-trip does not save you miles. It costs the same as 2 one-ways. The only benefit is, if you need to refund, you only have to pay the penalty once, and if one of your flights is changed, you can change the other ones for free as well.

On the other hand, while 2 one-ways would require at least 70000*2=140000 AM, if you take HEL-NRT, NRT-HKG, or both on JL instead, you can turn this into a oneworld multi-carrier award (which needs 2 airlines other than CX), and that would only require 135000AM.
What classifies as the same region, as I was under the assumption the SIN and HKG are under the same region (Asia). If it must be under the same country, it would be impossible to have open jaw tickets involving HKG/SIN since there are no other airports in the same country?

Thanks for clarification
Old Mar 11, 2022, 1:18 am

What classifies as the same region, as I was under the assumption the SIN and HKG are under the same region (Asia). If it must be under the same country, it would be impossible to have open jaw tickets involving HKG/SIN since there are no other airports in the same country?
I am pretty sure "region" here means "territory," as in HK and Mainland China are treated as different regions. Others can confirm.
AddictedSon likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 5:06 am
Original Poster

I was informed by AS representative that oneworld multi-carrier award has to start and end in the same country (open jaw as well)? i.e. Cannot start and end in SIN and HKG. Is this consistent with what you have experienced?

Thanks

Last edited by AddictedSon; Mar 19, 2022 at 5:35 am
Old Mar 19, 2022, 2:53 pm

I was informed by AS representative that oneworld multi-carrier award has to start and end in the same country (open jaw as well)? i.e. Cannot start and end in SIN and HKG. Is this consistent with what you have experienced?

Thanks
You talked with AM (part of CX), not AS, I assume? I don't see this rule in the T&C, but to be honest, I never redeemed a oneworld multi-carrier award that doesn't start and end in Taiwan as well, so maybe others can confirm. If you really need to go back to SIN to redeem, you can have an HKG//KUL open-jaw and add KUL-SIN on MH at the end. Only a little bit of extra tax and no difference in the amount of miles required.
AddictedSon likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Yes I talked with AM, not AS haha.

They referred me to the T&C here https://www.asiamiles.com/en/redeem-...ard-chart.html
where it says "Refer to this chart to check if you are redeeming a round-trip award ticket with an itinerary which covers:"

What would be the most efficient use of AM to get from SYD to Europe, Europe to HKG, HKG to SYD (HKG > 24 hrs) with 500K miles, preferably in J?

Last edited by AddictedSon; Mar 19, 2022 at 6:18 pm
Old Mar 20, 2022, 7:49 am

Yes I talked with AM, not AS haha.

They referred me to the T&C here https://www.asiamiles.com/en/redeem-...ard-chart.html
where it says "Refer to this chart to check if you are redeeming a round-trip award ticket with an itinerary which covers:"
You are saying because it says "round-trip" it has to return to the country of origin? If so, just add KUL-SIN as I said.

What would be the most efficient use of AM to get from SYD to Europe, Europe to HKG, HKG to SYD (HKG > 24 hrs) with 500K miles, preferably in J?
I still think oneworld multi-carrier award to be the best in this case, but you will have to work out your specific itinerary.
AddictedSon likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.