Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Are CX (and SQ) still flying through Russian airspace?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2022, 12:56 am
Original Poster

Has Cathay made any announcement about its flights to Europe since Russia banned airlines from its airspace?

I know British Airways and all other EU carriers are banned from Russian airspace. That leaves the Middle Eastern carriers and any other carrier that doesn't normally fly over Russian airspace as the best (only?) options to get to Europe at the moment.

Russia is not going to ban mainland carriers, so I am guessing Cathay will benefit from that, but I wonder if CX will decide to stop using Russian airspace for whatever reason.

Today, JL43 NRT-LHR flew an extra c.3500km (adding roughly three hours) via Alaska, Greenland and Iceland in order to bypass Russian airspace. A 12 hour flight turned into a 15 hour flight, but at least it was still feasible without stopping anywhere.

Is there a viable alternative nonstop routing CX can take to Europe without going over Russia?
Old Mar 4, 2022, 1:04 am

Singapore Airlines flights are not traversing Russian airspace. You can check recent flights yourself at FlightRadar24, for example yesterday's SQ 319: https://www.flightradar24.com/SIA319/2b03753b.
fallinasleep likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 2:50 am

Yes for CX, and no for SQ!

CX (mostly cargo now) flights between Hong Kong and Europe/US continue to fly over Russia.

Carfield
fallinasleep and Kongduino like this.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 7:13 pm

Programs: Confirmed
In this situation, CX is probably seen as a Chinese airline by the Russians - hence no ban
Carfield likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 7:41 pm

Programs: asia miles
Russian airspace is probably less critical to SQ than CX
Carfield likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by SKRan
In this situation, CX is probably seen as a Chinese airline by the Russians - hence no ban
It has nothing to do with China. Lots of airlines still use Russian airspace: Korean Air, Eva Air (Taiwan), Asiana and Air India.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by tauphi
It has nothing to do with China. Lots of airlines still use Russian airspace: Korean Air, Eva Air (Taiwan), Asiana and Air India.
I think the poster meant seen as a HK/China airline rather than a British airline, which would be banned from flying in Russian airspace.
Carfield and quakes15 like this.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 12:56 am

So it looks like CX stopped flying over Russian airspace today, at least for their HKG-LHR flights; this adds a bit of time to the flight.

Yesterday's CX 251 banked left after entering Kazakhstan instead of continuing up towards Russia: https://www.flightradar24.com/CPA251/2b22c488

Last edited by CX HK; Mar 15, 2022 at 2:50 am
Old Mar 15, 2022, 4:24 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by CX HK
So it looks like CX stopped flying over Russian airspace today, at least for their HKG-LHR flights; this adds a bit of time to the flight.

Yesterday's CX 251 banked left after entering Kazakhstan instead of continuing up towards Russia: https://www.flightradar24.com/CPA251/2b22c488
Looks like they made that decision whilst in the air? Otherwise they would not have gone towards Lanzhou initially

Better link https://www.flightradar24.com/data/a...-lxd/#2b22c488
Old Mar 15, 2022, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by :D!
Looks like they made that decision whilst in the air? Otherwise they would not have gone towards Lanzhou initially

Better link https://www.flightradar24.com/data/a...-lxd/#2b22c488
True. And it wouldn't be a 2 hour delay if it was planned. CX251 showing a normal flight time again today though... maybe just a one-off? Wonder what happened.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 10:35 am

CX 251 avoiding Russian airspace again for today's flight.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 10:05 pm

CX 219 has added two and half hours to its flying time tonight too on its way to Manchester. It left HK on time but will arrive at Manchester at 9am - two and half hours later than expected.

https://fr24.com/CPA219/2b261885

It seems that only Mainland Chinese airlines are flying over Russia now. I wonder if it has to do with insurance issues, as a few other airlines like Emirates and FlyDubai, which will suspend flights to and from Russia too.

All the cargo flights to Europe - London CX 255 & Amsterdam CX 271 are all avoiding Russian airspace too.

Carfield
Old Mar 15, 2022, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by Carfield
CX 219 has added two and half hours to its flying time tonight too on its way to Manchester. It left HK on time but will arrive at Manchester at 9am - two and half hours later than expected.

https://fr24.com/CPA219/2b261885

It seems that only Mainland Chinese airlines are flying over Russia now. I wonder if it has to do with insurance issues, as a few other airlines like Emirates and FlyDubai, which will suspend flights to and from Russia too.

All the cargo flights to Europe - London CX 255 & Amsterdam CX 271 are all avoiding Russian airspace too.

Carfield
I seem to recall seeing Emirates and Pakistan International in Russian airspace (via flightradar) last night. But checking again this morning, it seems that they are all Chinese or Russian airlines now. I wonder if the decision for Russia to seize leased planes had anything to do with it, be it insurance or whatnot.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 6:00 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by CX HK
I seem to recall seeing Emirates and Pakistan International in Russian airspace (via flightradar) last night. But checking again this morning, it seems that they are all Chinese or Russian airlines now. I wonder if the decision for Russia to seize leased planes had anything to do with it, be it insurance or whatnot.
It's due to the sanctions.

IF an airplane breaks down in Russia, the airline will not have an opportunity to sent spare-parts to Russia, to repair the airplane and fly it out again.

And, once an airplane is crippled on the ground, it could become an easy victim to get cannibalized to keep a stolen "local" airplane flying .......

They won't dare to do so with pure China airplanes, though even CX airplanes might be an easy victim.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by Cambo
It's due to the sanctions.

IF an airplane breaks down in Russia, the airline will not have an opportunity to sent spare-parts to Russia, to repair the airplane and fly it out again.

And, once an airplane is crippled on the ground, it could become an easy victim to get cannibalized to keep a stolen "local" airplane flying .......

They won't dare to do so with pure China airplanes, though even CX airplanes might be an easy victim.
That's a good point. I'm surprised Swire didn't do it earlier... or maybe they wanted to do it low key and not make a big fuss about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.