"The Bridge" closes permanently

The Bridge is gone.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 12:22 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Per Marco Polo Club email:

Permanent closure of The Bridge at Hong Kong International Airport Having been temporarily closed due to the reduced flight schedule, The Bridge lounge at Terminal 1 of Hong Kong International Airport will now be closed permanently. Please visit our Lounges page or check with our airport staff for the most up-to-date information on available lounges.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 12:29 am
Original Poster

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...t-lounges.html

Earlier today:

The links for the Pier (both business and first) are broken.

Now:

Old Aug 24, 2021, 12:35 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Given traffic isn't going to pick up for at least 2 years (even if border controls loosen), it makes sense for them to reduce lounge capacity. Sad since I liked this lounge.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 1:03 am

Nooo! The Bridge was my favourite lounge too
pol212 and frankyguy like this.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 1:08 am

So lounge capacity is back to roughly what it was in 2010? Although understandable, it’s sad to have seen both The Cabin and The Bridge come and go in a relatively short period of time.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 1:54 am

Programs: CX Diamond (DM)
sigh.
jmj9905 likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CXYYZ
So lounge capacity is back to roughly what it was in 2010? Although understandable, it’s sad to have seen both The Cabin and The Bridge come and go in a relatively short period of time.
And pax throughput is back to roughly 1940’s levels.

The bridge was always my go to for a shower after a long flight from Europe or NA whilst waiting for the hop up to Shanghai. Since that itinerary doesn’t seem feasible for at least the next year or two, it sadly makes sense they close these lounges. I just hope the airline survives.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 4:36 am

FWIW, I heard rumours earlier this year that AMEX was scoping out HKG for new lounge space. Unsure if this will be the fate of The Bridge, now that the brushwing's been removed from its doors, but in the current and near-future climate it's hard to imagine the current AMEX Centurion lounge will ever again be overcrowded ...
Old Aug 24, 2021, 4:46 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

There is also the Chase Sapphire lounge opening at some point:

https://onemileatatime.com/news/chase-sapphire-lounges/
Old Aug 24, 2021, 10:05 am

Programs: CX Gold
Ah, so sad to see "The Bridge" gone. Always been my go-to lounge at HKG. It really has the best location among all CX lounges at HKG.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 10:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Agreed, disappointing outcome for sure. Would much rather have seen "The Deck" close if one had to be closed (I've never understood that space...)

Regards
wyskevin likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by djsflynn
FWIW, I heard rumours earlier this year that AMEX was scoping out HKG for new lounge space.
Possible, but unlikely for now, given that AMEX will limit guest access starting 2023. Beside - AMEX invested quite much on its existing lounge. So unless it is financially feasible, I don't see AMEX will move now.

Originally Posted by sxc
There is also the Chase Sapphire lounge opening at some point:

https://onemileatatime.com/news/chase-sapphire-lounges/
The Bridge's former location would be too big for Chase Sapphire Lounge by the Club. In fact, the opposite spacing from AMEX Centurion Lounge is the perfect fit.

BTW - if you have ever been to a "The Club" lounge, you will know there is nothing to expect. Also - it all depends on which company will ultimately run the catering.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Such a bummer. I too liked this lounge and spent lots of time here over the years prior to having Emerald status.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I have great memories of The Bridge and am so sorry to hear this. As with so much else about longhaul travel, HKG passage will not be the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.