Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Asia Miles (CX) vs Virgin Flying Club for HKG-LHR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2021, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Hi all - just wanted to start a casual discussion on starting to collect VS FC points and CX Asia Miles for redemption on direct HKG to/from LHR flights (J class).

Some background: Embarrassingly for a FlyerTalker, I've been a typical Hongkonger in the sense that for over a decade I exclusively collect Asia Miles via credit card points or flying, and then redeem them for CX J class tickets. I usually redeem them for my parents, who greatly appreciate the lie flat seats. However, at least pre-pandemic, CX J flights to/from LHR were always hard to come by, and even BA flights were not always available (and their old Club World product is pretty dated and bad, not worth it).

During lockdown, I began thinking to expand beyond the CX world and start collecting VS flights, mainly because 1) they are the only other airline besides CX/BA that flies direct to LHR, and 2) despite recent financial troubles they made some nice changes to their FFP which now includes miles that don't expire.

I know there are a lot of HKG-LHR flyers on this forum, so I just wanted to get some feedback on if this is a worthy switch - based on availability, product, etc. Thanks guys.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 6:52 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Have you done any comparison on how many miles you earn and how many you need to spend for VS? I’m curious about the comparison too.

If your main route that you want to redeem is LHR, it could be a worthwhile switch especially as you say redemption opportunities on CX are difficult.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sxc
Have you done any comparison on how many miles you earn and how many you need to spend for VS? I’m curious about the comparison too.

If your main route that you want to redeem is LHR, it could be a worthwhile switch especially as you say redemption opportunities on CX are difficult.
In theory, based on a simple online search with the official websites:
  • VS round trip in J: 115,000 points. The AE earn rate is $5 = 15 = 1 point.
  • CX round trip in J: 130,000 miles. The AE earn rate is $5 = 15 = 1 mile. However, I can get better rates with HSBC VS ($5 = 0.18 RC = 1.8 miles) for some specific categories.
I find the redemption rates above to be probably even enough to compare, but I wonder if VS availability is easy to redeem / is it worth it for HKG-based flyers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.