Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Asia Miles vs KrisFlyer Miles

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2021, 2:44 am
Original Poster

Asia Miles vs KrisFlyer Miles

I have the option to transfer some points into either 120k Asia Miles or 120k KrisFlyer Miles. My goal is to get a one-way First Class ticket to fly from San Francisco to Hong Kong. Which option do you think is better?

Thanks.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by acflyertalk
I have the option to transfer some points into either 120k Asia Miles or 120k KrisFlyer Miles. My goal is to get a one-way First Class ticket to fly from San Francisco to Hong Kong. Which option do you think is better?

Thanks.
You need 110k Asia Miles for Cathay Pacific versus 172k Krisflyer miles for Singapore Airlines in First (Advantage award). EDIT: Saver award is cheaper as sbs2716g mentioned below.

Having said that, SQ isn't flying the route from Hong Kong (and I am not sure if HKG-SIN-SFO is a valid routing using 172k KF miles), and Cathay isn't offering First at the moment.

Last edited by fallinasleep; Aug 3, 2021 at 11:05 am
Old Aug 3, 2021, 5:24 am

Welcome to Flyertalk. Before you transfer the points, you may want to make sure that what you want is available, so that you don't transfer the points only to find that you cannot then use them as you previously hoped.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by fallinasleep
You need 110k Asia Miles for Cathay Pacific versus 172 Krisflyer miles for Singapore Airlines in First.

Having said that, SQ isn't flying the route from Hong Kong (and I am not sure if HKG-SIN-SFO is a valid routing using 172k KF miles), and Cathay isn't offering First at the moment.
SQ2 is still scheduled for next year. But whether it will be cancel or not.
HKG-SIN-SFO is a valid routing as well but no F.
SQ saver F is 104K miles. I saw some seats Available next June or July
Old Aug 3, 2021, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by HarbourGent
Welcome to Flyertalk. Before you transfer the points, you may want to make sure that what you want is available, so that you don't transfer the points only to find that you cannot then use them as you previously hoped.
Slightly off topic, but I have always wondered - what do you do when there is a waiting period for the transfer, which can be up to 10 days in some cases? How do you make a decision on when to transfer and how can you guarantee seats are available before the transfer is made?
Old Aug 3, 2021, 9:50 am
Original Poster

I don't actually have a concrete travel plan yet, but there's currently an offer to get 120k miles from 100k points (20% bonus), which will expire in a week or so.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by acflyertalk
I don't actually have a concrete travel plan yet, but there's currently an offer to get 120k miles from 100k points (20% bonus), which will expire in a week or so.
If you insist, Asia Miles is a better choice.

The problem is mile expiration of each of the programs. AM has recently changed its policy, from 3-year use or lose to 18-month no activity. So in theory, you can keep the miles active as long as you can. On the other hand, KF is still 3-year use or lose, which means that you have to use them all around 3 years of transfer.

Given the current uncertainty (inadmissibility of Hong Kong, limited to no service, etc.), AM is a better choice.

But SQ's F is definitely better than CX F.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by CX HK
Slightly off topic, but I have always wondered - what do you do when there is a waiting period for the transfer, which can be up to 10 days in some cases? How do you make a decision on when to transfer and how can you guarantee seats are available before the transfer is made?
I would take a chance but recognise some risk, however there may be better informed posters who have a surer strategy. I wouldn't care as I could use either CX or SQ miles for something, but it sounds as if the OP would be transferring for one specific purpose, in which case orphaned miles would seem like more of an annoyance.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by CX HK
you will just need to have miles transferred in advance ready to go. the miles , of course, just stay there if seats don't open up. the cost is possibly whatever else you needed to do with the miles.

so points that don't transfer instantly are of slighly less value

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.