Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA downgrade CX elite status?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2021, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

AA downgrade CX elite status?

Just called up AA customer service, trying to select main cabin extra seats on my US domestic flights, using OW sapphire status (MPC gold). Was told that as of Oct 1 2020, complimentary main cabin extra seats are not offered to elite members from CX. Anyone has same experience and knows what is happening? I have been able to select main cabin extra seats, such as front and exit row seats, on a complimentary basis for many years....

Found a page on aa.com describing main cabin extra seat and it does not mention CX specifically
Old Mar 31, 2021, 2:16 pm

It was indeed removed on 1 Oct 2020 but later restored to some airlines (mostly JV partners).

It was discussed in BA forum for example: AA removes free MCE seating perk for BA elites [Update : now restored]
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 2:38 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Unfortunately, OW elites (save for JV partners and AS elites) don’t have access to MCE anymore. You do have access to Flagship Lounges when they are open though.

Now that AS joins OW and its Exit Row is categorized as preferred seats, just fly AS in NA when possible. It’s a much better airline
tentseller likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 1:14 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by raimun
Just called up AA customer service, trying to select main cabin extra seats on my US domestic flights, using OW sapphire status (MPC gold). Was told that as of Oct 1 2020, complimentary main cabin extra seats are not offered to elite members from CX. Anyone has same experience and knows what is happening? I have been able to select main cabin extra seats, such as front and exit row seats, on a complimentary basis for many years....

Found a page on aa.com describing main cabin extra seat and it does not mention CX specifically
I complained to MPO a few weeks ago already. My point was that if AA no longer allows CX élites to select MCE seats, CX should no longer allow AA élites to select exit row seats for free. Unfortunately, CX doesn't seem to care.
CX HK and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
I complained to MPO a few weeks ago already. My point was that if AA no longer allows CX élites to select MCE seats, CX should no longer allow AA élites to select exit row seats for free. Unfortunately, CX doesn't seem to care.
Noooooooooo!!

One of the main reasons I fly CX is that as a QF elite I get to select exit row seats. This does work in CX's favour as they get the revenue over QF every time.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 3:13 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Noooooooooo!!

One of the main reasons I fly CX is that as a QF elite I get to select exit row seats. This does work in CX's favour as they get the revenue over QF every time.
As long as QF continues to allow CX élites to select those "premium" seats on QF Y, I think CX should keep allowing QF élites to have the same benefits as well.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
As long as QF continues to allow CX élites to select those "premium" seats on QF Y, I think CX should keep allowing QF élites to have the same benefits as well.
Is it reciprocal? QF's own elites have to pay hefty fees to select exit seats.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Is it reciprocal? QF's own elites have to pay hefty fees to select exit seats.
Haven't taken QF for a while, so not sure how it works these days, but if QF's own élites have to pay to select exit row, I'm sure CX élites do, too. In this case, I also don't believe CX should allow QF élites to select CX exit row for free (sorry). However, the case with AA is more extreme. AA élites get to select AA and CX exit row for free, while CX élites only get to select CX's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.