Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Asia Miles removing Choice and Tailored Awards from 30 March 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2021, 4:25 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
Original Poster

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member

https://www.asiamiles.com/en/support...iles-plus-cash

https://www.asiamiles.com/en/support...ight/removal/1

Old Mar 16, 2021, 4:32 am
Original Poster

Choice is where I rolled before the pandemic - I can't see any value from AM on Standard.

I'm going to assume Asia Miles will be marked down to something like rewardU conversion price https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...l#post31328653 so HK$0.04 per AM fare offset if applied directly on fares.

I don't see any upside in this. I'm glad I did not participate in Mega Miles in the beginning of the year now - I'm going to convert points to cash (Citi) or coupon (CCB CUP, I don't want to change the cards to cash rebate permanently).
Old Mar 16, 2021, 5:22 am

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by percysmith
Choice is where I rolled before the pandemic - I can't see any value from AM on Standard.

I'm going to assume Asia Miles will be marked down to something like rewardU conversion price https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...l#post31328653 so HK$0.04 per AM fare offset if applied directly on fares.

I don't see any upside in this. I'm glad I did not participate in Mega Miles in the beginning of the year now - I'm going to convert points to cash (Citi) or coupon (CCB CUP, I don't want to change the cards to cash rebate permanently).
I thought Standard Award is the cheapest? For example, I just verified that between HKG and PVG, a one-way Standard Award in Economy costs 10k miles, while a Choice Award in Economy costs 15k miles, not to mention the Tailored Award at 20k. Why do you say that you cannot see any value from AM on Standard?
Old Mar 16, 2021, 5:24 am

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...plus-cash.html

Does the miles conversion rate vary for different flights?Yes. The conversion rate may vary by origin, destination, fare, cabin, date or any combination of these factors.
Here we go...
Old Mar 16, 2021, 5:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
I thought Standard Award is the cheapest? For example, I just verified that between HKG and PVG, a one-way Standard Award in Economy costs 10k miles, while a Choice Award in Economy costs 15k miles, not to mention the Tailored Award at 20k. Why do you say that you cannot see any value from AM on Standard?
Availability - I haven’t redeemed any Standard J for SYD or YVR during school holiday (not public holiday days) ever since Choice was added. But Choice rates was acceptable to me.

Wife and I am the only burners in the family outside of school holidays. We can't get through so many miles.
Old Mar 16, 2021, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Reply1984
I was expecting CX to crimp AM value right after the pandemic (whenever HKSAR rescinds Cap. 599E inbound quarantine requirements), but not now.
Old Mar 16, 2021, 6:00 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by percysmith
I was expecting CX to crimp AM value right after the pandemic (whenever HKSAR rescinds Cap. 599E inbound quarantine requirements), but not now.
Maybe the idea is to put the change in now while no one is really caring about travel so it's all in place in a year's time when travel is back to "normal".
CX HK likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2021, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sxc
Maybe the idea is to put the change in now while no one is really caring about travel so it's all in place in a year's time when travel is back to "normal".
But you lose customers' conversion (which is cash inflow) if they perceive this as devaluation, or at least uncertainty.

Better to have sprung the change immediately after Cap 599E rescission. So, with the current arrangement, are they to be credited for being upfront?
Old Mar 16, 2021, 7:11 am

I can only speak on behalf of myself and some of my friends, but I think spending on Asia Miles cards or conversion of credit card points into miles has already plummeted to record lows. CX probably did not see any substantial risk it would fall any further even if they announced this now.
Old Mar 16, 2021, 12:27 pm

Programs: Thai, Cathay, Lufthansa, Delta, SPG, Hilton, IH, LHW
Well, Amex is bringing in the Explorer....so we can transfer to Emirates! CX throw out must of us 2-3 years before Covid...specially those living outside of HK. Happy I switch to a mix of EK/QR/TK. Impressive how CX/MPO was such a loved brand 10 years ago...and today...no thanks! It's actually look the same for SPG...we love you...to Bonvoy....seriously why do you want me to be loyal....

End of the day...brands should understand....if they are not loyal to us...we should not be loyal to them....simple picture...and loyalty is free to move around!
fakecd likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2021, 1:21 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Reply1984
I'm trying to look at the values at the 2 extremes shown at https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...plus-cash.html. I know it might not mean anything, but at least that would be the only reference point we have.

The values at the 2 extremes are around $1200+59000AM and $2750+11000AM, respectively. If the currency is HKD, the value looks horrible at 0.03HKD/mi. If the currency is USD, 0.03USD/mi also looks too good to be true.
Old Mar 16, 2021, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
If the currency is HKD, the value looks horrible at 0.03HKD/mi. If the currency is USD, 0.03USD/mi also looks too good to be true.
Definitely HKD. I've seen someone recall a polling question in a closed private group and the value they've been given works out to HK$0.05. Better than the HK$0.03 indicated in the CX.com page but we are definitely talking HK dollars here.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2021, 6:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Seems to be an odd time to make the move considering the credit card change as well, but I presume many of us are sitting on 100ks of miles and not much we can do about it, as mentioned it will probably be swept under the carpet. I always preferred standard tickets, but did appreciate the extra options in the choice space that weren't available to non-CX/AsiaMiles travellers if you really did want to travel. The tailored awards were just so expensive, and still didn't have that much availability that I never felt they offered any real value so I won't miss those.

In some ways this makes BA Avios more attractive again, as they also offer cash + miles, and BA should now have (nearly?) the exact same availability as AsiaMiles.

At this point in the pandemic and with travelling restricted the way it is most of this is theoretical discussion, but it could give more flexibility on usage for Cathay and a chance to exit your mileage balance rapidly (at poor value) whilst you switch to other more relevant schemes, which for many in HK will be back to shopping points or cashback as travel has really lost its attraction for a few years.
Old Mar 16, 2021, 7:18 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
It remains to be seen how much "Standard" inventory will continue to be offered. If it gets reduced significantly, then Asia Miles becomes a largely Dynamic Pricing type scheme.
Old Mar 16, 2021, 11:14 pm

Locked in a standard award to SE Asia from the U.S. for Chinese new year while availability is there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.