Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

New regional business class seat revealed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2020, 11:45 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Business Class seat revealed by same Twitter acc, reported by omaat

it appears that they are using the Collins Air Rest seat. A bit surprised with the finishing as it doesn’t look like the traditional green/blue seat covers I’ve been accustomed to see on CX planes (bar KA’s now retired first class)

Last edited by clubeurope; Dec 10, 2020 at 11:52 am Reason: Corrected spelling error
Old Dec 10, 2020, 2:46 pm

A bit more on this: https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...ess-class-seat

And yes, it's the Collins Air Rest, which is already in service with Oman Air's Boeing 737 MAX – so these pics of the Oman Air seat will offer a bit more of a clue on Cathay's version (including that, as expected and in common with the current CX/KA regional business class seat, it lives in and reclines into its own fixed shell).

Old Dec 10, 2020, 4:19 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob

Looks a bit disappointing to me. I hope it’s not another fail - will have to look up some reviews of Oman air seat to see how comfortable it could be.
hessbo and oliver_dvs like this.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 7:54 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Originally Posted by sxc
Looks a bit disappointing to me. I hope it’s not another fail - will have to look up some reviews of Oman air seat to see how comfortable it could be.
Agreed, perhaps they will be rebranding as Premium Economy Plus? Having said that it is definitely looks better than the UK/European/US regional offerings (ignoring AA's A321T and transcon peers).

Though what are the differences between this and the old KA regional business class?

On a personal level I would hope CX picks a more attractive colour scheme than Oman Air.

Now as long as they do not repeat fixed shell seats for economy, though it is about time that someone in the new generation thinks this is a wonderful idea.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 8:23 pm

Programs: CX Life Time,TG,
Looking at the pics I hope that they don't use the A321 on any routes I fly.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 8:30 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Here's a review of the Oman Air seat. The reviewer starts off by saying "this is like a super luxurious premium economy seat...."

Old Dec 10, 2020, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sxc
"this is like a super luxurious premium economy seat...."

https://youtu.be/hEPtR-yd8mg?t=129
i love the shade being thrown
Old Dec 10, 2020, 9:20 pm

In my experience, most (non-flatbed) regional business class is like a good premium economy seat – that's certainly how I generally describe this category.

It can be (and often is) better-appointed than your long-haul premium economy product, because it's 'business class' and thus your top-most cabin on those jets (whereas premium economy always sits below 'proper' business class, and sometimes there's even first class above that).

As a matter of fact, it can also work the other way: Cathay's first-gen premium economy seat was a modified Zodiac/Weber single-aisle business class seat which Korean Air used for regional business class while American and Delta rolled it out as ‘first class’ on some Boeing 737s and 757s.

So yeah, quite some crossover between premium economy and regional business class.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 9:45 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by sxc
Here's a review of the Oman Air seat. The reviewer starts off by saying "this is like a super luxurious premium economy seat...."
To be fair, he is one of the more dramatic travel vloggers. And that's saying something.
nancypants and safari ari like this.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 11:31 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
This seat does seem to have more privacy... but also it looks quite cramped and not as spacious as the old one

Also CX is cutting # of J seats on the A321 in half, even those planes are going on longer regional routes? I remembered that KA A321s have 24J spread across 6 rows... This plane could be a nightmare on regional red-eyes
Old Dec 11, 2020, 4:17 am

Programs: HGP Globalist, SPG P100, Hilton Dia
The bulk head seats are gone too! seems like all seats are identical.... Those fake leg rest is useless for tall people.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 4:42 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
and that is all they can do? good or bad thta SQ doesnt compete with cx

i honestly thought first when i saw photo (without reading headlines) i was like "wow thats a really cool Premium econony/business minus which is it"
Old Dec 11, 2020, 10:34 pm

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by fakecd
and that is all they can do? good or bad thta SQ doesnt compete with cx

i honestly thought first when i saw photo (without reading headlines) i was like "wow thats a really cool Premium econony/business minus which is it"
Good Point fakecd, they couldn't have use the BE Diamond Seat like the SQ 7M8s?

Not really sure what's the major improvement in this seat, other than a small divider?

Feels more like CX only install this seats, just to have a slimmer shell so they can put more seats in the back

Originally Posted by shd9
This seat does seem to have more privacy... but also it looks quite cramped and not as spacious as the old one

Also CX is cutting # of J seats on the A321 in half, even those planes are going on longer regional routes? I remembered that KA A321s have 24J spread across 6 rows... This plane could be a nightmare on regional red-eyes
12J?
24 was probably an overkill except for PVG but they couldn't have done 16?

Longer Regional? I'm going to see this on KTM then, Eff me
At least I never had the pleasure of BLR
Old Dec 12, 2020, 1:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
Good Point fakecd, they couldn't have use the BE Diamond Seat like the SQ 7M8s?

Not really sure what's the major improvement in this seat, other than a small divider?

Feels more like CX only install this seats, just to have a slimmer shell so they can put more seats in the back

12J?
24 was probably an overkill except for PVG but they couldn't have done 16?

Longer Regional? I'm going to see this on KTM then, Eff me
At least I never had the pleasure of BLR
Singapore's installing Diamonds on their 737 max? I'm surprised they didn't go for the Vantage or that new narrow body direct aisle access seat
Old Dec 12, 2020, 2:53 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Maybe I took too many regional J as redeye flights, but I would have killed for some real recline akin to Qantas domestic J or even JAL Class J over this. Not to be.
brunos likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.