FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   Cathay vs ANA vs Japan 1st Class (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/2014293-cathay-vs-ana-vs-japan-1st-class.html)

estnet Mar 25, 2020 9:42 pm

There are lots of review out there - try reading some. For me I prefer the excellent food and style of service on japanese airlines compared to CX but your preference might be different - read the reviews to get a feel for the differences and see what fits you best.

trooper Mar 25, 2020 9:44 pm

I Flew ORD-HND-SYD on NH in F and then J. The flight ORD-HND in F was marvellous... the problem was it was so good that going "back" to J for the SYD flight was....almost painful. (Massive First World Problem I know) Just saying.....

UncleDude Mar 26, 2020 11:43 am

I have just managed a First Class on JL ORD-HND-SYD using AAdavantage miles, however its classed as 2 Sectors Awards unlike QF DFW-SYD having said that I have not seen any QF First Class awards EX USA for about 2 years using AA Miles. Neither AN or CX have First Class in Australia or NZ. ANA are presently using 2 First Class Hard Products, Cabin Service as always is Outstanding.

As other poster have mention you need to Value use of any FF Points, you have, as always find the seats on the required dates.

To people who have remarked on CX viability The Whole ofChina is now Domestic to them and its likely IMHO their HKG Based competition will not last the current Crisis. As The Swire group survived in HKG after almost 4 years of Japanese Occupation and have massive Food and Beverage Interests Remember people will always need to Eat and Drink.

As a former British Prime Minister said during a run-up to an election, a week is a Long Time in Politics as Far as the COVID-19 virus goes ,24 Hours is much the same Although Japan may have been OK 24 Hours ago it isn't Today. Its also likely, Late Starter New Orleans will overtake Seattle and NYC as the biggest number of cases per Capita in a matter of Days.i

36902BRF Mar 26, 2020 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by UncleDude (Post 32234936)
I have not seen any QF First Class awards EX USA for about 2 years using AA Miles.

There were quite a few for late March and early April back when I was looking in early March. Ex-Aus was harder but I saw some of those as well. Was seriously tempted but figured this was going to get worse before it got better and I was right. This was before all the serious lockdowns but I could see those coming.

Jaimito Cartero Mar 26, 2020 12:51 pm

I’ve flown on all 3 F services to SE Asia. I flew NH F LAX-NRT last week, as the only passenger in F. I used 91k Lifemiles to book this 3 segment award. Only the NRT segment was F. Quite enjoyable. Attentive service. Food was quite good, but I’d say JAL is usually a little better.

Booking far in advance, I often find that JL cancels F service on my SE Asia leg. I don’t find the 787 that great to fly on.

CX used to have great food in F, but that’s really declined the last few years. Seats are older in F, but pretty comfortable.

So, I’d rate it JL->NH->CX.

UncleDude Mar 27, 2020 12:43 pm

Missed Original quote in Post

36902BRF Mar 27, 2020 12:45 pm

FYI if considering transferring to VS for the NH "sweet spot" in the near term you may want to consider the linked article. Please note I am NOT saying they are going under but they are seeking government assistance and per the FT article referenced they do seem to be the weakest of the major UK carriers.

https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/0...for-state-aid/

UncleDude Mar 27, 2020 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by 36902BRF (Post 32235155)
There were quite a few for late March and early April back when I was looking in early March. Ex-Aus was harder but I saw some of those as well. Was seriously tempted but figured this was going to get worse before it got better and I was right. This was before all the serious lockdowns but I could see those coming.

Anybody can offer award seats on flights that are unlikely to operate. QF have terminated all International Services.

Howard Long Mar 28, 2020 4:20 am

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero (Post 32235227)
I’ve flown on all 3 F services to SE Asia. I flew NH F LAX-NRT last week, as the only passenger in F. I used 91k Lifemiles to book this 3 segment award. Only the NRT segment was F. Quite enjoyable. Attentive service. Food was quite good, but I’d say JAL is usually a little better.

Booking far in advance, I often find that JL cancels F service on my SE Asia leg. I don’t find the 787 that great to fly on.

CX used to have great food in F, but that’s really declined the last few years. Seats are older in F, but pretty comfortable.

So, I’d rate it JL->NH->CX.

I too have flown all three in F. The deal breaker for me would be the HKG-SYD leg in CX having no F. Between JL and ANA I think I’d probably say JL just takes it. I wouldn't turn my nose up at any of these F products though.

In terms of specific areas: favourite seat is CX, favourite service JL, favourite food JL, favourite wine NH, favourite lounges CX.

edit: if there’s no ANA F TYO-SYD, then yes, JL it has to be.

diverg Apr 4, 2020 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by Howard Long (Post 32240759)
I too have flown all three in F. The deal breaker for me would be the HKG-SYD leg in CX having no F. Between JL and ANA I think I’d probably say JL just takes it. I wouldn't turn my nose up at any of these F products though.

In terms of specific areas: favourite seat is CX, favourite service JL, favourite food JL, favourite wine NH, favourite lounges CX.

edit: if there’s no ANA F TYO-SYD, then yes, JL it has to be.

I may have to the HND-SYD route in business. Who has the better business class in your opinion? JL or ANA? Also how likely is it in F opens up on JL at a later date on this route?