Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Asia Miles Award Booking / Waiting List

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2020, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Dear Forum,

I just registred to learn a bit from your Experience.

Last week I checked flights from FRA to AKL for the 26th of December and they were available for booking. Now I have transferred my Miles and wanted to book. Now the flight on the 26th shows Waiting list and the flight on the 27th is available for booking. We would prefer the 26th for our flight.

What is the smarter way: Book for the 27th and have a secured ticket or is the chance very high that we will get the waiting list approved ?

Thank you for sharing your experience / give me some recommendations. For the flight back there are enough available options.

Kind Regards,
Iggy
Old Feb 11, 2020, 3:40 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Iggy80
Dear Forum,

I just registred to learn a bit from your Experience.

Last week I checked flights from FRA to AKL for the 26th of December and they were available for booking. Now I have transferred my Miles and wanted to book. Now the flight on the 26th shows Waiting list and the flight on the 27th is available for booking. We would prefer the 26th for our flight.

What is the smarter way: Book for the 27th and have a secured ticket or is the chance very high that we will get the waiting list approved ?

Thank you for sharing your experience / give me some recommendations. For the flight back there are enough available options.

Kind Regards,
Iggy
Get the seat on the 27th if you can accept it, or the availability on the 27th may be gone, too. 26DEC is not a "wait-list-friendly" date and CX waitlist is hard to predict. You can keep 27th and wait-list for the 26th. If the 26th becomes available, you can pay service to change (25USD or 1000 miles per sector if online or 40USD or 4000 miles per sector if via phone).
percysmith likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Get the seat on the 27th if you can accept it, or the availability on the 27th may be gone, too. 26DEC is not a "wait-list-friendly" date and CX waitlist is hard to predict. You can keep 27th and wait-list for the 26th. If the 26th becomes available, you can pay service to change (25USD or 1000 miles per sector if online or 40USD or 4000 miles per sector if via phone).
Thanks for your help. I have booked now for the 27th. To wait list I would have to again transfer Amex MRs to Asiamiles and loose some flexibility then. How long would it normally take until the waitilist cleares.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 11:10 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
If you create a separate new booking on waitlist, there’s no extra fee to pay when you issue the ticket, but you would have to pay a (higher) fee to cancel and redeposit the miles of the first booking.

Instead, go to the current booking, and try changing that. If it doesn’t work, call them and add the waitlist for the 26th (but the offline fee would apply if/when that clears).

Oh, and welcome to the FT CX forum!!
Old Feb 12, 2020, 2:53 pm

How long would it normally take until the waitilist cleares.
There's no normality here. Just follow jagmeets 's advice.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jagmeets
If you create a separate new booking on waitlist, there’s no extra fee to pay when you issue the ticket, but you would have to pay a (higher) fee to cancel and redeposit the miles of the first booking.

Instead, go to the current booking, and try changing that. If it doesn’t work, call them and add the waitlist for the 26th (but the offline fee would apply if/when that clears).

Oh, and welcome to the FT CX forum!!
Thx I got my tickets for the 27th!

What is strange is that there is no change flights in my booing - so I can't check if it possible to change the flight to the 26th. Any idea?

Once again I appreciate the warm welcome and the help
Old Feb 12, 2020, 3:11 pm

Thx I got my tickets for the 27th!

What is strange is that there is no change flights in my booing - so I can't check if it possible to change the flight to the 26th. Any idea?

Once again I appreciate the warm welcome and the help
If for any reason you don't have the option online (not sure what you meant by "no change flights" but usually it's in upper left of the "manage booking" page), you need to call, and it is very difficult to call these days. Also, as I mentioned, change fee is higher over the phone.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 3:14 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Try Home Page > (Book A Trip) Flights > Redeem Flights > Flight Awards Rebooking (link on the bottom of this page)

Else,If this doesn’t work, you’ll need to call in (be ready for Long hold times though).

Good Luck!
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 10:44 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Creating a waitlist to rebook on an existing booking is certainly a phone action.

Call in at 2am HKT or wait til the call queue is lower.
ernestnywang likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.