Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The end of CX?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2020, 5:56 am

Programs: CX Diamond (DM)
Originally Posted by boybi
With a lot of cancelled flights, where will CX/KA park their planes? Will HKIA be able to accommodate all the planes?
My guess is HKG is way too expensive to park for more than a few days... I imagine there's simply no space. Wherever they end up, it would need to be a facility with sufficient CX maintenance crew and equipment on hand and that isn't too far from home. Really good question actually... I'm not sure, other than somewhere in China.

Originally Posted by percysmith
Australia, perhaps, where HKers (not just crew) can still can go to and get out.
Too far away.... but maybe. Somewhere with a lot of land so the cost is low.

Ideas anyone?
Old Feb 5, 2020, 6:37 am

Programs: CX Silver
Originally Posted by cmiller11101
My guess is HKG is way too expensive to park for more than a few days... I imagine there's simply no space. Wherever they end up, it would need to be a facility with sufficient CX maintenance crew and equipment on hand and that isn't too far from home. Really good question actually... I'm not sure, other than somewhere in China.

Too far away.... but maybe. Somewhere with a lot of land so the cost is low.

Ideas anyone?
During some previous typhoon experiences I think CX likes to park at TPE - it's 2 hours from HKG, easily mobilizable maintenance, and maybe the cost is not as high as HKG?
Old Feb 5, 2020, 7:13 am

Central Australia - dry climate, cheap. Thats where quite a few 737 MAX aircraft are stored - if medium/long term storage required thats probably the best bet.

Prehaps some aircraft in central australia for more longer term storage, TPE and other closer locations for other aircraft if CX is confident some aircraft will need to be available at shorter notice
Old Feb 5, 2020, 7:16 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by jysim
During some previous typhoon experiences I think CX likes to park at TPE - it's 2 hours from HKG, easily mobilizable maintenance, and maybe the cost is not as high as HKG?
TW just required HKers to be home (or hotel) quarantined https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...l#post32035235 . Not going to be convenient.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 2:10 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
ignore..

Last edited by lcpteck; Feb 6, 2020 at 5:00 am Reason: wrong info
Old Feb 6, 2020, 4:03 am

TW just required HKers to be home (or hotel) quarantined https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...l#post32035235 . Not going to be convenient.
For HK passport holders only - foreign nationals / passport holders flying from Hong Kong to Taiwan are completely banned.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by CX HK
For HK passport holders only - foreign nationals / passport holders flying from Hong Kong to Taiwan are completely banned.
You mean that if I am on, say a Canadian passport, I will not be allowed to go to Taiwan from Hong Kong? What is the logic in this?
Old Feb 6, 2020, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
You mean that if I am on, say a Canadian passport, I will not be allowed to go to Taiwan from Hong Kong? What is the logic in this?
Logic is sadly rather absent from the hysteria surrounding this event. Expect that to get worse before it gets better.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 6:02 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Just a thought, but HK might get knocked down on some of their parking fees in the context of the Coronavirus. It's not like they're needing lots and lots of space for traffic right now...
Old Feb 6, 2020, 6:17 am

Programs: CX Life Time,TG,
Isaan (northeastern Thailand), dry season, should have large airfields that used to be US bases. And Thailand has not restricted travel from Hong Kong.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
The logic is that Taiwan now treats HK as it does mainland China. Other countries have adopted the same approach.
The open border policy followed by the HK Government is part of the equation. Remember that several tens of thousands cross the land borders daily. Shenzhen alone has more than 300 reported cases and thousands commute for work between Shenzhen and HK. Stricter measure will be in place on Saturday, but that's very late. Community infection has started and seems uncontrolled.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 6:33 am

I know someone en route now. So not true.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by brunos
The logic is that Taiwan now treats HK as it does mainland China. Other countries have adopted the same approach.
The open border policy followed by the HK Government is part of the equation. Remember that several tens of thousands cross the land borders daily. Shenzhen alone has more than 300 reported cases and thousands commute for work between Shenzhen and HK. Stricter measure will be in place on Saturday, but that's very late. Community infection has started and seems uncontrolled.
this is making it sound a lot worse than it is. There are so far fewer than half as many total confirmed cases in HK than there are traffic-related injuries in HK every day. And HK’s traffic isn’t even that bad.

I got an SMS today saying that passenger clearance will now only be possible at Airport, Shenzhen Bay and HK-Macau-Zhuhai bridge. So it seems quite a lot of restrictions introduced. But even without those restrictions the infection numbers are very low (as with everywhere outside mainland China). BTW, most countries are not treating HK as part of mainland China for travel restrictions. Although there is quite a bit of fake news floating around about it.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 6:57 am

Not for health reasons.

More a trade restriction, stop us from buying all their masks, alcohol rub, cleansing alcohol, bleach, toilet paper, rice (list of goods we are having runs for to be updated).

Last edited by percysmith; Feb 6, 2020 at 8:06 pm
Old Feb 6, 2020, 7:15 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
I know someone en route now. So not true.
The rule that is supposed to take effect tomorrow (07FEB) states that foreigners (not including Hongkongers and Macanese) who only transited in HKG and MFM are not subject to entry restriction. Only those who entered Mainland China, Hong Kong, or Macao in the past 14 days are barred from entry. However, there were just 2 confirmed cases confirmed in the past couple of hours where the patients only transited through HKG from Italy, so it is expected that a newer measure will be put in place soon to address that.
jerrywu likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.