Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to book different fare classes on the one booking?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2020, 4:13 am
Original Poster

I am planning an economy trip with a friend. He'll buy the economy save fare, but I could use the extra MPO status credits so would like a economy core fare. But I want to book on the same booking so I can get us both extra legroom seats. Is it possible to book different fare classes on the same booking? Clearly it is not possible online, just want to know if it is worth trying to make the booking by phone?
Old Jan 29, 2020, 4:29 am

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
The extra leg room seat benefit is accorded to you as member benefit. Your friend has to pay regardless if he wants the seat.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 7:15 am

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
I don't think so.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 8:02 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by lionelhutz
I am planning an economy trip with a friend. He'll buy the economy save fare, but I could use the extra MPO status credits so would like a economy core fare. But I want to book on the same booking so I can get us both extra legroom seats. Is it possible to book different fare classes on the same booking? Clearly it is not possible online, just want to know if it is worth trying to make the booking by phone?
You cannot, and, as pointed out by CXFlyerBoy , that would not get your friend extra legroom seat for free even if you are in the same PNR. However, I believe (not 100% sure) you can get your friend a standard seat assignment if you guys are in the same PNR. Not all CX fares allow free standard seat assignment before OLCI opens.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 9:16 am

Programs: CX DM/OWE, Marriott Platinum
Doesn't cost anything to call and just ask!
Old Jan 29, 2020, 9:55 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by sparkj
Doesn't cost anything to call and just ask!
FYI, CX call centres are not easy to get thru right now. Had to call several times over the past few days for a friend who has SL, and even with her membership, we needed to wait for 30-40 minutes each time.

CRS (Computerized Reservation System) are set up in a way that requires the entire itinerary (including booking class) to be the same for every single pax in the booking. It is impossible for any airline to book, say, one pax in V class and one pax Q class, for the same flight in the same PNR.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CXFlyerBoy
The extra leg room seat benefit is accorded to you as member benefit. Your friend has to pay regardless if he wants the seat.
You are absolutely correct, I did not know that. My friend can get a regular seat for free (even on an economy save fare that would not normally have free seat selection) but not an extra legroom seat. And extra legroom seats are outrageously expensive! I'm off to Seatguru to find the extra legroom seats that are next to regular seats on each aircraft.

Next question: if I made separate bookings and then rang to tell them he's travelling with me, can I still get free regular seat selection for him? I did something like this last year, although in that case my kids were on the separate booking so they may have allowed it in that case.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Next question: if I made separate bookings and then rang to tell them he's travelling with me, can I still get free regular seat selection for him? I did something like this last year, although in that case my kids were on the separate booking so they may have allowed it in that case.
May have answered my own question - from the Advanced Seat Reservation benefit description: "Member’s travel companion can also enjoy this benefit when travelling with the member in the same booking."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.