Wiki Posts
Search

CX vs JAL F/J Long haul and regional

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2020, 11:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, United Silver, Hertz Presidents
CX vs JAL F/J Long haul and regional

I'm booked this Monday on 841 JFK-HKG (F) and 903 HKG to MNL (J). I jumped through hoops to get myself onto the 777 for the connecting flight thinking it would have the lie flats I saw in a review on YT in 2017. Then I looked here and saw the thread about the regional business, and am horrified. I've looked around here but am not seeing a specific comparison and thought I'd check, as I see availability on JAL and could switch. I've flown to HKG on CX from JFK in F and it was great. That was maybe six years ago.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by olindacat
I'm booked this Monday on 841 JFK-HKG (F) and 903 HKG to MNL (J). I jumped through hoops to get myself onto the 777 for the connecting flight thinking it would have the lie flats I saw in a review on YT in 2017. Then I looked here and saw the thread about the regional business, and am horrified. I've looked around here but am not seeing a specific comparison and thought I'd check, as I see availability on JAL and could switch. I've flown to HKG on CX from JFK in F and it was great. That was maybe six years ago.
All cx long haul
flight use long haul products. Nothing to worry
Old Jan 18, 2020, 12:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by londonexpert
All cx long haul
flight use long haul products. Nothing to worry
It's the seats in the regional HKG-MNL 777, primarily, that I was seeking to avoid. Was also reading the thread on the CX F new food service, and it seems like they are serving Krug on some but not all long haul flights I read they have Louis Roederer on JAL, better food, but that's subjective I know. Also I guess F is going away on CX so this might be worth doing just for the bye bye I suppose. I really don't like the idea of PE seats on the counting flight though, and believe the JAL biz 787-8/9 is a lie-flat regional J.

Last edited by olindacat; Jan 18, 2020 at 5:40 am
Old Jan 18, 2020, 1:32 am

I'm noticing the idea of the seats in the regional HKG-MNL 777, primarily. Was also reading the thread on the CX F new food service, and it seems like they are serving Krug on some but not all long haul flights I read they have Louis Roederer on JAL, better food, but that's subjective I know. Also I guess F is going away on CX so this might be worth doing just for the bye bye I suppose. I really don't like the idea of PE seats on the counting flight though, and believe the JAL biz 787-8/9 is a lie-flat regional J.
I don’t think CX will do away F soon, or else they won’t spend money to push the new F catering. IMO the product will be available on less flights, mainly on hub-to-hub routes though.
Some flights on JAL 787 are still equipped with recliners/angle flat seats.
Fortunately, they make the info available online.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 2:18 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
The JAL flight to MNL - if on a 787 - is almost certainly going to be the old angled-flat she’ll seat, so not fully flat, as that is what they use for regional flights. That said, it is a perfectly comfortable seat and beats the regional CX seat by miles. if on the other hand you get the CX long-haul seat (which is very likely too), that beats the JAL one by a good distance.

Regardless, I would choose whichever timings suit me best for this. Or, choose based on Japanese vs Chinese cuisine.

I have a very high opinion of both airlines, so for me it would be based solely on the connection and timings.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 2:44 am

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
HKG-MNL is less than 2 hours...
Old Jan 18, 2020, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
HKG-MNL is a 90 minute flight. CX regional J isn’t amazing but it’s no more “horrifying” than a typical first class seat on a narrowbody flown by DL/AA/UA out of NYC on a 90 minute flight to ORD. I don’t think I’d be scurrying in terror based on not getting a lie flat for a 90 minute flight.

JL’s lounges are significantly more “meh” than CX (decent but not as nice as Wing/Pier F), so it’s not like trading in a 90 minute flight in a worse seat for worse lounges, a shorter flight in F and a longer flight in a J recliner (Tokyo-Manila is 4 hours not 90 minutes) is all that great a trade... I’d probably pick the best flight timing and schedule... but you do you I guess.
nancypants, SKT-DK and thomas164 like this.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 5:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fromhell
I don’t think CX will do away F soon, or else they won’t spend money to push the new F catering.
Shame as I always thought of CX as having one of the best F cabins, although I always loved LH's ol 747 F was killer. EK A380 suite once was great. Thanks for your Rea. Just feels like one post said 'evolutionary not revolutionary'. I don't do these often so wanted to make the best of it.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 5:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
I have a very high opinion of both airlines, so for me it would be based solely on the connection and timings.
It'll be fine. Only angling for optimal results. Its a vacation so I'll be enjoying the ride, terminals, everything :-)
Old Jan 18, 2020, 5:56 am

Shame as I always thought of CX as having one of the best F cabins, although I always loved LH's ol 747 F was killer. EK A380 suite once was great. Thanks for your Rea. Just feels like one post said 'evolutionary not revolutionary'. I don't do these often so wanted to make the best of it.
It looks like CX903 on Tuesday is operated by a regional 777-300.
Would you want to switch to CX935? It's on A350-1000.
Also, you get more time experiencing F lounges at HKG.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I don’t think I’d be scurrying in terror based on not getting a lie flat for a 90 minute flight.
Ha! I wish I was you (sometimes). When I last flew LGA-FXE I was on an A320. I sat outside the boarding gate for two hours popping meds. When everyone got on board I was unable to get my carcass onto the plane an begged off. An FA coaxed me on. I think I took like 12x dosage and was afraid I'd stop breathing! And I'm a jet broker ha ha! (Go figure.)

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
JL’s lounges are significantly more “meh” than CX (decent but not as nice as Wing/Pier F), so it’s not like trading in a 90 minute flight in a worse seat for worse lounges, a shorter flight in F and a longer flight in a J recliner (Tokyo-Manila is 4 hours not 90 minutes) is all that great a trade...
Very helpful. I might get tanked for the hopper but it's been a long time since I flew to Asia, and am older now, so was figuring I'd me a mess by the time I stepped onto that MNL flight. Might take the JAL flights home so In can compare and contrast. Will post some photos of both here, but return won't be until mid-Feb.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fromhell
It looks like CX903 on Tuesday is operated by a regional 777-300.
Would you want to switch to CX935? It's on A350-1000.
Also, you get more time experiencing F lounges at HKG.
I could try. I saw the 350 on YT but it's very hard to tell if the seats, configuration, etc., is any different. I was on a 330 and changed to the 777 thinking it was a big bird so I'd feel like flying in a barn. 350s are big enough for sure. Is the 350 better?
Old Jan 18, 2020, 9:00 am

I could try. I saw the 350 on YT but it's very hard to tell if the seats, configuration, etc., is any different. I was on a 330 and changed to the 777 thinking it was a big bird so I'd feel like flying in a barn. 350s are big enough for sure. Is the 350 better?
All CX's A350s have long-haul business class seats.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 9:11 am

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
IMO, I'd take the CX flight.

Typically, I try to stay on the primary longhaul aircraft as long as possible, as that's where I will do my sleeping and typically find the best hard and soft product (some exceptions to this rule I've experienced).

In this specific case...I'd be thinking
  • Who has the better longhaul product for lounging and sleeping?
  • Who has the better schedule and price?
  • Who has the better J/F lounge at my departure and transit points?
  • What is the beverage selection (good/interesting non-alcho options are getting more important to me)
  • Do I feel like Cantonese or Japanese? Which will be executed better? (minor consideration)

The equipment on a short run like HKG-MNL would be an item of least concern, unless the airline were flying an all-Y config or something of that nature.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

I'll see about the 350. I guess the CX F&B is a crap shoot. I heard JAL was nice but agree the schlep down to MNL from TYO is farther, hard product in F might be less roomy if I read right. Will still shoot for JAL on way home and report how it goes. Thx!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.