Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Flying from Toronto to Singapore via HK with Cathay...is this risky?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2019, 9:13 am
Original Poster

I bought tickets on my Amex points, given that other tickets were very expensive...but now I'm having second thoughts if this was the right move.

I'm traveling to Singapore end of next week on Cathay, and have a 1h 50m layover in Hong Kong before my next flight (also on Cathay). Now, is this a risk? Has Cathay canceled flights for transiting passengers, given the current situation in HK? Or would it be fine, given that I'm not planning to exit the terminal?

If flights are canceled, would I be entitled to any compensation? I'm trying to just think ahead, and plan for the worst case scenario, just in case...
Old Nov 12, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Transit is fine and almost 2 hours are enough for transit at HKG. I would not worry about it if I were you.
craig44485 and thomas164 like this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 10:34 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
We can't guarantee anything here but let's just say the last time HKG (as in HK airport) got shutdown was August and not all transit pax were affected even then.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 12:59 pm

Programs: CX-DM, BA-GGL, Marriott-TI, HHonors-DM
There are many flights to SIN so even if you miss your connection, it shouldn’t be too much of a delay.
Eagle2000 likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
dont worry... the airport seems to be ok
Were booked to Hong Kong and then to KUL... Thanksgiving weekend... not worried at all
Old Nov 12, 2019, 4:19 pm
JTK

Programs: AAdvantage EP
I'm sitting at the Wing right now. Airport operations have been pretty normal, especially for transit passengers. I have transited through Hong Kong 5 time in the last three weeks.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 5:52 pm

Echoing everyone else here - you will be fine with a 2-hr transit. More than fine. Even in the unlikely scenario that protesters converge on the airport again, chances that you'll be affected are slim (given you won't be exiting the airport landside, and won't run into protesters, who are barred anyway from entering the airport proper).

Even if your incoming/oubound flights were to be affected by delays, you'll be protected by solid IRROPS anyway, given both incoming and outgoing flights are on CX.

If you have CX lounge access, spend your energy planning which lounge you'll visit (most of here would likely recommend the Wing - excellent shower facilities, hot meals, and a place to stretch out and rest before departure ).
Old Nov 12, 2019, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Anyone know the current situation for non-transit passengers? I have a 27 hour connection at HKG next week on different tickets, and plan to stay at the airport Regal.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 7:24 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Anyone know the current situation for non-transit passengers? I have a 27 hour connection at HKG next week on different tickets, and plan to stay at the airport Regal.
No problem either since August.

Not only can you make your flight, going to/from Hong Kong Station should be OK within declared opening times (might not be up to 00:48 last train)

Can't make any guarantees whether you can exit Hong Kong Station on your day, you might well have to head back to airport if there's protests outside.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 7:49 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
You will be fine. I too have been through HKG several times over the past month and no sign of disruption inside the airport. As for the connection time, that is perfectly adequate assuming you are on one ticket. If it is of any comfort, I am doing a 55min connection at HKG later this month and am not worried
Old Nov 12, 2019, 8:11 pm

To add on, weekdays are in general better than weekends (except this week), HK Station is in general more predictable than KL or TY; late night return to Regal should not be an issue, but things could change within days.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Thanks for all your input. I won't be going into the city. By the time I get in, claim bags, check in to hotel, etc., I'll have no interest. The next day, I'll sleep late, then walk back to the airport, check in, and head to one (or more) of the lounges.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 9:05 pm

Thanks for all your input. I won't be going into the city. By the time I get in, claim bags, check in to hotel, etc., I'll have no interest. The next day, I'll sleep late, then walk back to the airport, check in, and head to one (or more) of the lounges.
Then you are essentially a transit pax (especially at Regal), which is most likely business as usual. I personally would be bored staying 27 hours at Regal, but given what's going on right now, I would agree it's the best course of action.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 9:31 pm

Programs: Lowly CX & IHG
The airport island is probably the safest amongst all locations accessible by rail in Hong Kong now. Transit should be unaffected at all. Haven't noticed any cancellation due to commute yet (and even so, same ticket transfers will be well protected). But the situation outside is rapidly changing in the past few days, stay cautious if any transit plan involves getting out of the airport island.
etkuo likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 10:03 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
You'll be fine. Enjoy the trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.