Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Swapping Seats w/ Wife in Business

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2019, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Swapping Seats w/ Wife in Business

My wife, myself, and our 8 month old son will be flying from New York to Hong Kong in a few months and wanted to see if anyone has any experience/thoughts on swapping seats between Business / Premium Economy if we upgrade only one seat. Thought would be we would keep the baby in Premium Economy with one parent at all times with the other parent getting a few hours of sleep on the long flight over there.

I know this is not technically "allowed" but I do not see the huge deal in doing this if we do not disrupt any of the other passengers.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Depends on staff onboard. Some can care less, others will be more strict. Technically you're not allowed to.
craig44485 likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 8:12 am
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
Originally Posted by hbrown352
My wife, myself, and our 8 month old son will be flying from New York to Hong Kong in a few months and wanted to see if anyone has any experience/thoughts on swapping seats between Business / Premium Economy if we upgrade only one seat. Thought would be we would keep the baby in Premium Economy with one parent at all times with the other parent getting a few hours of sleep on the long flight over there.

I know this is not technically "allowed" but I do not see the huge deal in doing this if we do not disrupt any of the other passengers.

My wife and made this our go to plan for Trans-Pacific when our son was young. One would get 4 hrs in Biz, whilst the other settled with him, and then the others would get the flat bed for 8hrs sleep.

Whomever slept the longest had first duty with our son on arrival whilst the other had the first night to sleep.
Kept either of us from getting completely run down as one of us was getting sleep at any given
Old Sep 13, 2019, 8:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Up to the cabin crew whether they permit it as it is against the rules.

Thus, should plan on one or the other sitting in J for the entire flight. If it is permitted, will not likely be permitted until after meal service and the cabin is cleared. Make it clear that it is for one swap and one swap only,
Old Sep 13, 2019, 11:28 am

I have been on flights where this was allowed and flights where people were told no. Both were a huge disruption.

The folks that were allowed to swap immediately ordered drinks and food on each swap, and were generally loud PIA's the entire flight. (They swapped every few hours.)
The folks not allowed through a huge loud fit when told no. But the flight was quiet otherwise.

So I sympathize with the FA's in both cases.

CX FA's are very accommodating. If you make it clear that it is for sleep purposes only and have little disruption to the cabin, I can see FA's caring very little. Also, if you choose a business seat in the last row, the same side, it also makes any disruption minimal.

Please do report back.
wrp96, JordanWalker and Cryofern like this.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: CX MPC DM
I would suggest talking with the ISM or SP after boarding. You'd probably want to avoid an embarrassing scene if you just switch if it's not OK. If the staff is OK with the switch they will probably advise you on the proper time that works for them.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 12:31 pm

Programs: Platinum Pro. .Hilton Honors Gold,

To be brutally honest here. Please don’t switch seats back and forth. It’s tacky and in poor taste. Be a man and decide beforehand if you or your wife will take the business class seat and who will stay with the baby in Economy class.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If all your doing is swapping out for the lie flat, J takes a stroll to the PE cabin (in the Victorian class system prevalent in the air, you can go to any lower cabin), stays there, and PE moves forward to take the J seat. One passenger leaves, one passenger returns. No disturbance, no hassles.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 12:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rickg523
If all your doing is swapping out for the lie flat, J takes a stroll to the PE cabin (in the Victorian class system prevalent in the air, you can go to any lower cabin), stays there, and PE moves forward to take the J seat. One passenger leaves, one passenger returns. No disturbance, no hassles.

This is what we did. Service wasn’t expected. Only a flat bed to lie on
Old Sep 13, 2019, 1:26 pm

I would have the baby up front, both of you will be more comfortable. 8 month old should sleep quite a bit any ways and dont have to be double miserable in the back. Then, if you want to come up from the back, you can just tell the flight attendant you are giving your wife a little break.

Unless you are talking about purchasing a seat for your child as well. If that is the case, I would skip buying a seat for the child and both sit up front and pass the lap infant back and forth.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 1:38 pm

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH

well, if flat bed is what you want, upgrade two, or upgrade one and pay cash for the other.

Trying to game the system is just too risky and makes you look like a lowballer
Old Sep 14, 2019, 12:46 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by CXFlyerBoy
upgrade one and pay cash for the other.
Then you probably won't need the flatbed cos the cash price is equivalent to your first-born...see if CX will accept direct in-kind payment...
belfordrocks and nancypants like this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 1:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CXFlyerBoy
well, if flat bed is what you want, upgrade two, or upgrade one and pay cash for the other.

Trying to game the system is just too risky and makes you look like a lowballer

Not a game mate, it’s what 90% of all traveling parents try and do. Works well as long as no one upsets the Apple cart by being needy.

There was a Chinese couple in First last month that wouldn’t shut up and are so poorly with their cutlery on China the whole cabin was awake. I’d much rather have a sleeping parent in the Seat next to me.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 5:42 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
just buy J infant fare keep one adult and baby at J and other at PEY.

its not allowed and its not fair for other pax.

with current situation i doubt cabin crew will do anything to get attention needlessly from management.. imagine a pax writing to CX to complain there were "seat swaps" and report it, ISM will have a bit of explanation to do.

and if i am fare paying pax and i saw this happen and annoyed me, i will report it CX as a question "is this official policy so i buy 1 J seat next time and keep swapping please confirm". i wont give hard time to swapping pax cuz its not my job to police it, but if those responsible arent policing it, they will have to suffer the consequences
JordanWalker likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 6:14 am
Suspended

Where pray tell are these "rules?".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.