Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Cathay Flights booked through AA (upgrade questions)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2019, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: United States

Hoping I can get some clarity on using AM miles to upgrade on a Cathay Pacific flight but booked through AA.COM.

Looking at booking flights from NYC to Hong Kong & Singapore back to NYC during the Christmas break. The flights I am looking at are:

12/17 JFK-HKG CX845
01/01 SIN-HKG CX714
01/01 HKG-JFK CX830

It seems that if I booked through AA, the flights are significantly cheaper than booking it directly with Cathay. My question is, if I have a lot of AM miles, can I apply the miles to upgrade this flight if booked through AA. Also, what are my chances of getting upgraded during this busy holiday time.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
What are the fare codes of these flights and are they CX flight numbers? Only CX marketed and operated flights are eligible - if you booked on aa, it's most likely they are AA ticketed (AA flight numbers) and thus ineligible for upgrade to begin with.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 12:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by andersonCooper
What are the fare codes of these flights and are they CX flight numbers? Only CX marketed and operated flights are eligible - if you booked on aa, it's most likely they are AA ticketed (AA flight numbers) and thus ineligible for upgrade to begin with.
This is confusing. There's a difference between AA marketed (AA flight number) and AA ticketed (AA ticket stock).
Old Sep 4, 2019, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

It has an AA flight number but it also says "Operated by Cathay Pacific". I just double check and it's an L class ticket.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This is confusing. There's a difference between AA marketed (AA flight number) and AA ticketed (AA ticket stock).
You are correct, meant to say AA marketed, not ticketed. Anyway in OP's case it is the same.

Originally Posted by davehsu84
It has an AA flight number but it also says "Operated by Cathay Pacific". I just double check and it's an L class ticket.
L class is eligible but an AA marketed flight is not.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by andersonCooper
You are correct, meant to say AA marketed, not ticketed. Anyway in OP's case it is the same.

L class is eligible but an AA marketed flight is not.
O dang, I guess this is an AA marketing flight then since it has an AA flight number when booking.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 3:12 pm

Programs: CX MPC DM
AFAIK, it is not possible to upgrade AA/CX codeshare tickets. I met a guy a few months ago while boarding CX841. It was his first time flying CX and was frequent AA traveler, Ex-Plat, with tons of miles. He said he tried every which way with the staff at the lounge to try and upgrade his PEY to J but no dice. I told him he should have bought an R class ticket from CX instead but still need Asia Miles to pay for the upgrade.

AMEX travel often has very good prices on AA/CX codeshare PEY tickets, many of my colleagues have been booking them lately after I stumbled on it last year. I don't remember what the fare class of the tickets (not E,R or W) but definitely can't upgrade with miles, AA or AM. A few of them have gotten op-up with that ticket though.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

The AA code share ticket comes out to be $1400 RT. While the CX ticket would come out to $1,800 RT. Do you guys think it's worth paying the extra $400 through CX with the chance of getting upgraded?

I have plenty of Asia Miles and have enough to book purely on miles. The worry I have is that most Dec-Jan flights on the Asia Miles website is for wait list. I was hoping if I paid for the economy class, I would have a better chance to upgrade my tickets.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by davehsu84
The AA code share ticket comes out to be $1400 RT. While the CX ticket would come out to $1,800 RT. Do you guys think it's worth paying the extra $400 through CX with the chance of getting upgraded?

I have plenty of Asia Miles and have enough to book purely on miles. The worry I have is that most Dec-Jan flights on the Asia Miles website is for wait list. I was hoping if I paid for the economy class, I would have a better chance to upgrade my tickets.
IMO $1400 for Y to SIN is already too expensive. PEY E class is about $1900 - 2000 on CX website.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 8:14 pm

Programs: MP, BR
Originally Posted by synthkeys
AFAIK, it is not possible to upgrade AA/CX codeshare tickets. I met a guy a few months ago while boarding CX841. It was his first time flying CX and was frequent AA traveler, Ex-Plat, with tons of miles. He said he tried every which way with the staff at the lounge to try and upgrade his PEY to J but no dice. I told him he should have bought an R class ticket from CX instead but still need Asia Miles to pay for the upgrade.

AMEX travel often has very good prices on AA/CX codeshare PEY tickets, many of my colleagues have been booking them lately after I stumbled on it last year. I don't remember what the fare class of the tickets (not E,R or W) but definitely can't upgrade with miles, AA or AM. A few of them have gotten op-up with that ticket though.
Interesting about the AMEX travel - is that for US cardholders only?
Old Sep 5, 2019, 8:17 am

Programs: CX MPC DM
Originally Posted by Chromie25
Interesting about the AMEX travel - is that for US cardholders only?
Sorry, I'm not sure about that. I do know there is no requirement to pay with an AMEX card. Many of my colleagues have some US AMEX card that gives them access to the site, then pay with Chase Sapphire.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 8:51 am

I just tried it myself and indeed the price on AA codeshare is very good. Not upgradable for sure, but good price on PEY.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: MP, BR
Sorry, I'm not sure about that. I do know there is no requirement to pay with an AMEX card. Many of my colleagues have some US AMEX card that gives them access to the site, then pay with Chase Sapphire.
Thanks for the info. Sounds like US only as Hong Kong cardholders have different benefits offered in terms of flights ("special" prices with certain airlines but never tried it) and it's done through calling AMEX which I assumed will need to be charged on the AMEX card.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 1:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This would be the AmEx International Airline Program that operates through PTS/CTS for Plat/Centurion cardholders and also now has a website feature. AFAIK you do need to pay with an AmEx card of some sort and must have Plat/Centurion card to use the program. The CX premium economy tickets might have some sort of bulk or consolidator designator which inhibits upgrades. I know my fare codes through this program end in a slack and about four additional letters/numbers. The discounted fares for these are not considered to be published, which means that they cannot be upgraded with miles in at least some FF programs.

There's a thread on this (abbreviated IAP) in the AmEx forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.