Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Should we be supporting or leaving CX in these challenging times?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should we be supporting or leaving CX in these challenging times?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2019, 3:09 am

Civic Party legislator Jeremy Tam has resigned from CX in order to protect the company from attacks, as many pro-China commentators attacked the airline over Tam's connection and employment with CX.

From multiple sources on Twitter.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 7:23 am

Confirmed on Tam, according to Reuters, which has put out the article (link below) I've been waiting for: Interviews with crew and staff and their reactions to what's going on. It's very sad, and now I do feel supporting Cathay is the right thing to do.

https://www.reuters.com/article/hong...-idUSL4N25F1OH
Alawyer likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 7:26 am

They are a good airline so I fly them. Their political stance is of no issue to me. The value they give me is my only basis of choosing them.
Alawyer and 1010101 like this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by sleeper.agent
They are a good airline so I fly them. Their political stance is of no issue to me. The value they give me is my only basis of choosing them.
My feelings exactly.

So, for those who feel differently, I assume that none of you ever flies QR, right? And what about SU, speaking of oppressive regimes. Presumably you're also boycotting SV. EK is hardly based in a free society. Seems to me that WY and VN also belong on that list. ET and MS, too. And if you're not avoiding these carriers, why single out CX?
Sozee likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 10:53 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
My feelings exactly.

So, for those who feel differently, I assume that none of you ever flies QR, right? And what about SU, speaking of oppressive regimes. Presumably you're also boycotting SV. EK is hardly based in a free society. Seems to me that WY and VN also belong on that list. ET and MS, too. And if you're not avoiding these carriers, why single out CX?
EY, MH, TG, TK, and SQ are also qualified according to some kind of freedom indexes immediately available on Wikipedia.
I find it funny when many frustrated fliers’ intuitive action is “switch to SQ” talking about CX recently.
Sozee likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 11:00 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by moreismore

EY, MH, TG, TK, and SQ are also qualified according to some kind of freedom indexes immediately available on Wikipedia.
I find it funny when many frustrated fliers’ intuitive action is “switch to SQ” talking about CX recently.
yeah. also, many people express interest to move to Singapore to obtain more freedom.

likewise, there were many Marco Polo elite who posted their elite card and claimed they would boycott CX if CX fired the pilot who was charged with riot.
i see many of the same people are now supporting CX after the firing.
talk is cheap.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 12:34 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
My feelings exactly.

Well, lucky me, because I have flown none of those carriers and will continue to fly none of those carriers.
Dr. HFH likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 12:53 am

Same.

I fly them because they are a good airline, and one of the few in Asia with a proper safety culture. If that changes, due to politics or any other reason, i'll stop.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 12:59 am
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.

So if Hitler or Pinochet or Gathafi operated a decent airline you'd be down to fly them? #noethics
royng likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by moreismore
Are we talking about the airlines or their home countries?
Old Aug 23, 2019, 2:53 am

Programs: BA Silver
Are we talking about the airlines or their home countries?
Home countries I guess. And this is exactly why those single out CX in the current debate, right?
Old Aug 23, 2019, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by deadinabsentia
So if Hitler or Pinochet or Gathafi operated a decent airline you'd be down to fly them? #noethics
Something you may not even have the luxury to choose...
Old Aug 23, 2019, 4:36 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
CX is stuck between a rock and a hard place

best to boycott the mainland chinese SOE airlines if you want to make a statement
Old Aug 23, 2019, 5:05 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
if there is so much boycott why am i finding it hard to find some Asiamiles award seats...

whether or not you stay or leave, your actions will always have consequences that benefit some and vice versa...
Old Aug 23, 2019, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by deadinabsentia
As long as those airlines are as good or better than CX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.