Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Forbes: CX Collecting Images of Passengers on Aircraft, Monitorin IFE Usage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2019, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), TK Elite (*G), BT VIP, HH D, BW DS

Didn't see this one discussed here yet, and didn't want to post it on the the data theft thread, as this is a different topic.

You all must've got emails recently about CX's commitment to data privacy and transparency. I didn't think much of it, didn't even read the mail. However, someone did! Forbes has an interesting article on CX's updated passenger privacy policy: Cathay Pacific Collecting Images of Passengers on Aircraft, Monitoring In-flight Entertainment Usage

Here are a couple of personal favorite quotes from this article:

"Cathay will “collect and process” personal information from passengers including images from onboard aircraft, use of the in-flight entertainment system, hobbies, and activity at airports"
"The policy also mentions collection of “your images captured via CCTV in our airport lounges and aircraft.”"
“We may also collect information about you that is publicly available online, including your social media profiles,”
"However, the policy warns that “No data transmission…can be guaranteed to be secure” and that Cathay’s safeguards are “commercially reasonable.”"

Now I like personalised services as much as the next guy, but having airlines collect e.g. pictures of me seems a bit too much, and I'm not sure I'm entirely comfortable with that.

What do other CX regulars think?
Old Aug 2, 2019, 6:25 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
My thought: sounds Pathetic, unless that’s where the whole world is/was.

We as an organization admit our inability to be effective, so we’ll use catch alls so that we can monetise anything possible without shame, and not promise anything - so we can’t be liable for anything.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 6:38 am

no more nose picking, making out with seat mates and other potentially embarrassing things for me from now then

but if it means catching them onboard robbers, thieves, drunks, fights and smokers then so be it
Old Aug 2, 2019, 7:06 am

If a US financial institution stated, “No data transmission…can be guaranteed to be secure” and that Cathay’s safeguards are “commercially reasonable.”" , they would not be in business for very long. I hope CX loses a lot of business from high value customers. The mainland China surveillance state is moving into HKG and beyond.
flubber and windscar like this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 7:20 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
I'd like to know how this applies to EU flights and citizens. CX is registered with the ICO so anyone here has the right to request all their data for viewing and for the right to it to be deleted.

With regards to CCTV, any premises that captures and stores images must display prominent signs that it is doing so on the premises. That means CX will need to install this sign as you enter every plane and near the cameras, fwiu. It can't rely on it being in the T&Cs only.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 7:44 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE. AF-Plat
Perhaps that is the good thing about flying J Class.....The IFE have no cameras on them that I can see....
Old Aug 2, 2019, 9:35 am

Sounds like this might just be an extra cautious policy to protect themselves in the wake of the data losses. There are no CCTV cameras on CX aircraft other than those around the flight deck door and forward galley. These images are recorded for obvious reasons...
Old Aug 2, 2019, 9:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Hobbies? This sounds like google stalking unless they just mean keeping a record of who checks skis and golf clubs.

None of their business.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: AS MVPG (R.I.P 75K), DL, HH Gold
Originally Posted by eagle215
Perhaps that is the good thing about flying J Class.....The IFE have no cameras on them that I can see....
What about the cameras you can't see?
Old Aug 2, 2019, 12:29 pm

Come on you spoon fed news reporters! That includes Forbes, etc. You are missing a major issue and I can not believe it has not been written yet. CX knows... CX is..... CX has more
Old Aug 2, 2019, 6:39 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
I think it is far more concerning what Facebook (A company I would not touch with a 100 foot barge pole) and Google knows about you. And people give them their data voluntarily.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
A Chinese hospitality chain recognizes guest faces so that front desk attendants can greet customers by name. - My friend worked at the company that enabled this technology.

The tricky thing is if CX stores these images on servers located in China territory...
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 8:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Plat, HHonors Diamond, DL Gold
CX cannot make profits on fuel hedging, so spying on customers to collect data is their next big thing.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1010101
..... There are no CCTV cameras on CX aircraft other than those around the flight deck door and forward galley........
From a simple google search--->
Old Aug 3, 2019, 7:22 am

Like the article says, they're pre installed but not switched on. Bit of a non issue and all this is probably just CX being extra cautious with the wording.

The only active cameras are the ones used by the flight crew to see what's going on around their door and down the aisles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.