Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What metal & how to upgrade!?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Question What metal & how to upgrade!?

Looking for asnwers for two questions, which are however related. I tried to upgrade one way for a 4 sector flight from PY to J, but Asiamiles.com where I tried to do it throws up an error (surprise, surprise... CX IT!):

"We are unable to process your request, please try again [upgFareSummGeneralError] (CLSAPI_IAWS_72_8215)"

No idea what to make of it, and emailed MP to find out. In the meantime, can anyone tell me what configuration of the 777-ER is in use from PEK-HKG on CX391? Seatguru shows at least two versions, one being the non flat bed J seats, which are not much of an upgrade over PY in my opinion, specially for the short hop.

thanks
Old Jun 28, 2019, 7:50 pm

CX 390 and CX 391 use the four-class long-haul configuration, so J has flat beds.
Look here if you're interested in more details about aircraft configurations scheduled for various destinations: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...-more-bah.html

As for the IT issue, if you don't get some sort of button to click on the error page, probably your only real recourse is to get in touch with AM/MPC, as you have done. If you don't get put on hold, you may even have a better time calling.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:42 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by timesnaps
Looking for asnwers for two questions, which are however related. I tried to upgrade one way for a 4 sector flight from PY to J, but Asiamiles.com where I tried to do it throws up an error (surprise, surprise... CX IT!):
I believe for a one-way upgrade you can only have 2 sectors. I second @Cryofern and suggest you to call.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 1:53 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
I found the CX online upgrade hopeless, most of the time it will not pick up the eligible sectors. I had to call MPC almost 99 out of 100 times to request an upgrade.
timesnaps, blum81 and thomas164 like this.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 9:02 am
Original Poster

thanks all...! duly noted
Old Jun 30, 2019, 1:31 am

Location: Vancouver, Manila, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong
Programs: CX-DM, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Premier
Originally Posted by Ausriver
I found the CX online upgrade hopeless, most of the time it will not pick up the eligible sectors. I had to call MPC almost 99 out of 100 times to request an upgrade.
lol I'm doing that with my upgrades as we speak. been on the line with them for 47mins now.

They've said the upgrade won't work unless all of your flight sectors are in the same class. Mine is PEY from YVR to HKG, and then Y(B fare) from HKG to KUL
Old Jun 30, 2019, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by blum81
lol I'm doing that with my upgrades as we speak. been on the line with them for 47mins now.

They've said the upgrade won't work unless all of your flight sectors are in the same class. Mine is PEY from YVR to HKG, and then Y(B fare) from HKG to KUL
Correct. The only way to upgrade both sectors would be to redeem 2 separate upgrade awards. In fact, unless things changed in the past few months, or else you can't put CX and KA flights in the same upgrade award anyway. I don't understand why AM didn't allow members to redeem upgrade award across CX and KA and / or allow pro-rated upgrade award like they do for flight redemption when they changed the rule last year.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 5:20 am

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
Originally Posted by blum81

Maybe next time you would consider booking J for the intra-asia sector to get around this issue. I booked something similar ages ago ex-LAX when CX had special double (or triple?) miles to promote PEY when it was first introduced so instead of J, it made more sense to book PEY and use AM to upgrade (as I was able to get it confirmed when booking). Back then, fare difference (for J instead of Y for SE Asia destinations) was USD 50 one-way because CX pairs long-haul PEY with B (or H) bucket. I suspect you still have to call because CX website probably still automatically pair PEY with Y instead of J.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 5:33 am
Original Poster

Well... coming back to the original issue. I called them and was told after much holding that I could only upgrade the entire ticket to J class from PY, and in order to do so would have to change one of the dates of the last sector as there was no other available seats on it at present. Sounds like non-sense to me.

Surely its possible to upgrade only one (or more) sectors?! In fact Asiamiles website lets me successfully check the miles required for any possible sector combination. I can even mark them for upgrade and they show as waitlisted, but the last step always gives an error.

All sectors are on booking code R

mmmh...>?!
Old Jul 3, 2019, 1:17 pm

Well... coming back to the original issue. I called them and was told after much holding that I could only upgrade the entire ticket to J class from PY, and in order to do so would have to change one of the dates of the last sector as there was no other available seats on it at present. Sounds like non-sense to me.

Surely its possible to upgrade only one (or more) sectors?! In fact Asiamiles website lets me successfully check the miles required for any possible sector combination. I can even mark them for upgrade and they show as waitlisted, but the last step always gives an error.

All sectors are on booking code R

mmmh...>?!
Doesn't sound right to me. Maybe you got an inexperienced agent?

Oct. last year, I was able to get one SHA-HKG sector upgraded to U out of my TPE-(CX-Q)-x/HKG-(KA-M)-SHA-(KA-M)-x/HKG-(CX-Q)-BKK-(CX-Q)-x/HKG-(CX-Q)-TPE ticket (all sectors in one ticket). A couple of months ago, I was also able to upgrade HKG-JFK to T out of my TPE-(CX-V)-x/HKG-(CX-V)-JFK-(AA-V)-SFO-(AA-V)-JFK//EWR-(CX-V)-x/HKG-(KA-V)-TPE ticket. You can certainly just upgrade part of the ticket using miles.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Exclamation

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Doesn't sound right to me. Maybe you got an inexperienced agent?

Oct. last year, I was able to get one SHA-HKG sector upgraded to U out of my TPE-(CX-Q)-x/HKG-(KA-M)-SHA-(KA-M)-x/HKG-(CX-Q)-BKK-(CX-Q)-x/HKG-(CX-Q)-TPE ticket (all sectors in one ticket). A couple of months ago, I was also able to upgrade HKG-JFK to T out of my TPE-(CX-V)-x/HKG-(CX-V)-JFK-(AA-V)-SFO-(AA-V)-JFK//EWR-(CX-V)-x/HKG-(KA-V)-TPE ticket. You can certainly just upgrade part of the ticket using miles.
thanks, this is the trouble with Cathay. Everything could be so easily managed online, if online functions would work. As it is, much time is wasted with additional calls, posting in forums and what not. Pretty frustrating. Right now I am trying to locate the phone numbers on their re-designed website. Impossible to find....

I need the No for Marco Polo from mainland China (the 'worldwide tollfree numbers' dont work from China! - so much for "worldwide"...). Anyone can post it here please
Old Jul 4, 2019, 12:46 pm

thanks, this is the trouble with Cathay. Everything could be so easily managed online, if online functions would work. As it is, much time is wasted with additional calls, posting in forums and what not. Pretty frustrating. Right now I am trying to locate the phone numbers on their re-designed website. Impossible to find....

I need the No for Marco Polo from mainland China (the 'worldwide tollfree numbers' dont work from China! - so much for "worldwide"...). Anyone can post it here please
Here you go: https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...ore-login.html
timesnaps likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Thanks very much
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 3:53 am
Original Poster

Just a follow up:

Totally frustrating experience with Cathay....

After much holding on the phone (15min +) the agent is barely audible over the crackling IP compressed internet call they employ. Eventually Polly answers and tells me something like they only have waitlist, but cannot put me on it, as there is a issue with my mailing address (turns out there is no house number on it). After asking for a supervisor she comes back to me and says on this occasion they will make an exception (despite her being adament in the first place that its absolutely not possible!)

I am seriously looking to use up the miles and ditch Cathay. They have become a royal pain the the backside over the years, the downward slide going faster and faster! Useless IT, dissappointing service at best - specially on the ground.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.