Wiki Posts
Search

FREE CANCELLATION or NOT?!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2019, 5:41 am
Original Poster

Question FREE CANCELLATION or NOT?!

Totally confused here by the last booking:

Booking was made in Premium Economy Flex, with no fees for re-booking, changes, and cancellations. Yet when the booking is completed the terms show a fee for cancellations and no show non the less (its on the last page of the booking confirmation, and not visible anywhere else)

Terms from the final page of the booking

Fare details on the first section of the booking
:

Penalty

1 - PSGR P1 ADT RULES DISPLAY
FARE COMPONENT 1 ADT BJSBCN CX RHARRYD8 PU 1 S
FCL: RHARRYD8 TRF: 4 RULE: 1710 BK: R
PTC: ADT-ADULT FTC: ZEX-PREMIUM ECONOMY EXCURSION

PE.PENALTIES
BETWEEN CHINA AND AREA 2 FOR RHARRYD8 TYPE FARES

ORIGINATING CHINA
CANCELLATIONS

ANY TIME
CANCELLATIONS PERMITTED FOR CANCEL/REFUND.
CANCELLATIONS PERMITTED FOR NO-SHOW.
NOTE -

1. IN THE EVENT OF NO-SHOW CHARGE BOTH
CANCELLATION FEE AND NO SHOW FEE.
2. CHILD/INFANT WITHOUT SEAT/INFANT WITH SEAT -
NO DISCOUNT APPLIES TO PENALTY FEE.
3. WHEN THIS FARE IS COMBINED WITH ANOTHER FARE -
CHARGE THE HIGHEST PENALTY FEE WITHIN THE
PRICING UNIT.
4. THE LOCAL ADMINISTRATION/SERVICE/HANDLING FEE
MAY APPLY.

CHANGES

ANY TIME
CHANGES PERMITTED FOR REISSUE/REVALIDATION.
CHANGES PERMITTED FOR NO-SHOW.

NOTE -
1. IN THE EVENT OF NO-SHOW CHARGE BOTH CHANGE FEE
AND NO-SHOW FEE.
fairhsa likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 7:31 am

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
you should contact Marco Polo. They should be able to ensure your ticket is as purchased. This is a clear failure to disclose terms.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus - Gold, Marco Polo - Silver
Is the second part of your itinerary in I class?
Old Jun 20, 2019, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hessbo
Is the second part of your itinerary in I class?
No, its R class for the entire trip
Old Jun 20, 2019, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Unless the Terms are just showing wrong, as I just did another dummy booking (in Booking Class K) and there is also a mention in the green grey section of a cancellation fee, BUT in this case its actually mentioned in numbers again further down in the text - under All fare Conditions. (Screen shot attached).

On the Premium Economy booking there are no numbers mentioned - meaning there is no charge?! Anyone know what the standard is to describe there is no charge?!

CANCELLATIONS

ANY TIME
CHARGE CNY 750 FOR CANCEL/REFUND.
CHARGE CNY 700 FOR NO-SHOW.

NOTE -

versus:
CANCELLATIONS

ANY TIME
CANCELLATIONS PERMITTED FOR CANCEL/REFUND.
CANCELLATIONS PERMITTED FOR NO-SHOW.

NOTE -

Last edited by timesnaps; Jun 20, 2019 at 8:22 pm
Old Jun 20, 2019, 9:35 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Yes. If it says cancellations permitted, it means that you can cancel for free.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 11:27 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Assuming the fare options are accurate, the price difference is pretty expensive insurance.1,750 CNY to save 1,000 or 1,050 or 1,800. You'd think CX would encourage such purchases with the generally limited number of cancels/no-shows and changes for the average Joe. It's like paying more than the value of your house to insure your house.

I choose I and D fares vs. straight J fares because the change costs or cancel fees are a fraction of the savings, but this seems like a lot. Maybe the extra tier points or Asia Miles are worth the money?
Old Jun 20, 2019, 11:50 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
Assuming the fare options are accurate, the price difference is pretty expensive insurance.1,750 CNY to save 1,000 or 1,050 or 1,800. You'd think CX would encourage such purchases with the generally limited number of cancels/no-shows and changes for the average Joe. It's like paying more than the value of your house to insure your house.

I choose I and D fares vs. straight J fares because the change costs or cancel fees are a fraction of the savings, but this seems like a lot. Maybe the extra tier points or Asia Miles are worth the money?
It is more like the ability to upgrade worth the money. Also, sometimes plans change multiple times, so it is good to have a ticket that has no cancellation charge
timesnaps likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by ricktoronto

It is likely that the two fares book into different fare buckets, where the availability of the most expensive fare bucket is higher if you desire to change.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shd9
Yes. If it says cancellations permitted, it means that you can cancel for free.
Thats my thinking, but would be good to have this confirmed, specially in the light of the mentioned 850 Cancellation charge on another part of the terms. I think I better call CX.

UPDATE:

for the sake of completeness, I have edited this post. I called CX and they confirmed over the phone that indeed there is no charge for either cancellation or no show on this fare (as per the original comparison in screenshot one). They also asked me to email them the screenshot or confirmation email to: "CXGCC Document Group" <[email protected]>. Needless to say I have heard nothing back from them so far....

Last edited by timesnaps; Jun 28, 2019 at 10:22 am Reason: UPDATE

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.