Wiki Posts
Search

Your call may be record for..

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2019, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Your call may be record for..

I had been lamenting the fall in my English standards to a colleague, and defended myself by blaming the overall downward spiral around me, here in a Singapore.

For a while now, the DM hotline’s recorded message had a heavily accented “Your call may be record for quality & training purposes”, right at the end of the voice prompt sequence.

Sent them an email yesterday. Possibly, this is entirely co-incidental, but credit where due- the recorded message had been changed by the evening.
Isochronous likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 11:31 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, AA Exec Plat, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
They have taken action with your complaint pretty fast... impressive how quickly they changed it - but it's still a horrible recording...
Old May 17, 2019, 12:39 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Thanks!

It was sadly comedic when they changed the recording (or should I say, "the recORD..."), from perfectly fine English to obviously grammatically incorrect English. And she was really emphasizing the last beat, saying it in a rather bizarre cadence "your CALL / may be re-CORD / for quality and training purpose" (pretty sure the plural was also incorrectly left off the end).

Such a contrast to the absolutely lovely MTR English announcements, I think the lady who does those (it's the same lady in English and Cantonese, not sure about Mandarin) is just incredible. Such a good voice in both languages. CX should just pay up for her. Although she doesn't write the MTR scripts she just reads them....and I've actually seen many CX SOPs written out in bizarre, incorrect language as well. So maybe it's hopeless. Years ago SCMP did an article about the MTR lady doing the Cantonese and English announcements.
Old May 17, 2019, 1:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Ah yes, the cadence!

And think that you’re right about the ‘purpose’- think my ears would just get grated enough at the reCORD, that they plugged out!
Old May 17, 2019, 2:06 am

Programs: CX DM, Watsons Wine Burgundy
IKEA: “dis is a staafaassmen...”. If you have spent any considerable time there you will know... I’m completely unsure why they need to preface every page with this. Never heard it before anywhere except ikea HK.
Old May 17, 2019, 9:28 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jagmeets
Ah yes, the cadence!

And think that you’re right about the ‘purpose’- think my ears would just get grated enough at the reCORD, that they plugged out!
the stressed re’cord as if it were reading re’corded, which would have been acceptable (like how it was for the last 10ish years before 22jun)
for some reason they changed the recording with the same reader for no real reason...
QRC3288 likes this.
Old May 17, 2019, 12:29 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

I'd agree that their quick reaction is impressive! The old one sounds like something you'd hear at the Graham Fruit Market

How does the recording sound now?
Old May 20, 2019, 9:42 am

Well, you Diamond kids should consider yourselves lucky that you ever had a good recording in the first place!
(Actually, I'm not sure about that - same deal jagmeets mentioned with decline in personal English standards due to environment, so I guess I just haven't really been paying attention enough to remember for sure...)
Originally Posted by QRC3288
Thanks!

It was sadly comedic when they changed the recording (or should I say, "the recORD..."), from perfectly fine English to obviously grammatically incorrect English. And she was really emphasizing the last beat, saying it in a rather bizarre cadence "your CALL / may be re-CORD / for quality and training purpose" (pretty sure the plural was also incorrectly left off the end).

Such a contrast to the absolutely lovely MTR English announcements, I think the lady who does those (it's the same lady in English and Cantonese, not sure about Mandarin) is just incredible. Such a good voice in both languages. CX should just pay up for her. Although she doesn't write the MTR scripts she just reads them....and I've actually seen many CX SOPs written out in bizarre, incorrect language as well. So maybe it's hopeless. Years ago SCMP did an article about the MTR lady doing the Cantonese and English announcements.
MTR announcement person is HKU faculty: https://web.edu.hku.hk/staff/academic/yycheri
It sounds to me like it's her for all three langagues, but the SCMP article QRC3288 mentions claims otherwise, so...? There are some things in some places (escalator announcements inducing people to stand, not walk, for example) that are clearly a different person for the Mandarin, so possibly it's a mix.
If CX (apparently) listened to jagmeets, why not actually make the suggestion about Chan to CX? It certainly sounds like a good idea to me (I acknowledge the point about bad writing, but Chan does specialize in a usefully relevant field), but I'm sure my level of influence is significantly lower than QRC3288's.
Old May 20, 2019, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Well...when CX can misspell "Pacific" on its plane, the "record" problem is not really a problem.
Old May 20, 2019, 7:07 pm

Programs: Cathay Lifetime Diamond
For me the horribly tortured guttural English vowels of the lithium battery announcement is by far the worst of Cathays recorded messages. I have no problem at all with an American accented announcement although it is perhaps a little strange from a British airline based in Hong Kong. I can't place the accent but perhaps local HK Chinese educated in rural America.
Old May 20, 2019, 10:47 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by oldchinahand
For me the horribly tortured guttural English vowels of the lithium battery announcement is by far the worst of Cathays recorded messages. I have no problem at all with an American accented announcement although it is perhaps a little strange from a British airline based in Hong Kong. I can't place the accent but perhaps local HK Chinese educated in rural America.
English announcements should be made in the Queen's English by someone who has had elocution lessons.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.