Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting at Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2019, 10:15 am

Programs: aa lifetime platinum, ba club, delta sky club, delta sky miles, delta sky club life,kal skypass
thanks ernestnywang, I don't feel gyped now
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 4:42 am

.Thanks Bruno’s. We need to book early to confirm dates fo accommodation at peak period in Hua Hin. Getting there early and trying for earlier flight is good idea as we would only be hanging around apt. Are Cathy likely to be more sympathetic at the airport? My experience talking to their customer service trying to change flights has so far not been great.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Ronel
.Thanks Bruno’s. We need to book early to confirm dates fo accommodation at peak period in Hua Hin. Getting there early and trying for earlier flight is good idea as we would only be hanging around apt. Are Cathy likely to be more sympathetic at the airport? My experience talking to their customer service trying to change flights has so far not been great.

On flight day, the flight/ticket is under airport management.
They have a pretty good view of current delays. There are ten CX flights a day.
Could be that there are weather/ATC related delays affecting most flights, or some specific flights experience delays.
They are flexible if IRROPS. You are a paid J customer connecting to a Longhaul CX flight in HKG. CX much prefer you to make the connection than taking the risk of paying a hotel and/or rebooking you.

CX701 (your ac) departs HKG at 14:55 BKK time. By then they will know if a departure delay is expected. Of course, there could be delays at BKK too, but a primary cause for delay is the availability of the ac in HKG, as many ac on the route are longhaul birds.
My experience with CX is good for longhaul pax like you. Frankly, I would be very surprised if they don't accomodate you on an earlier flight just in case. Of course, that depends on availability.

CX is a very good airline in terms to taking care of its pax, the BKK staff is good and accustomed to dealing with delays on ten daily flights.
If it were me, I would not worry at all.

Note This is ten months from now. I would suggest checking aschedules a couple of month before to see if there is an adjustment in flight times.
murphyjunk likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 1:14 pm

Thanks again, useful information.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 12:55 am

Programs: AA Platinum
I have a bag question as it relates to transiting at HKG.. I have a large duffle bag (not crazy huge but def looks big). I get it on no problem within the US with no issues ever. I'll be flying JFK-HKG-SIN in April (crossing fingers). While it will be easy to board with the bag at Jfk I'm curious what transiting at Hkg is like and are they very keen on checking the exact dimensions and size of a bag? It sort of squishes and folds but to the eye it looks big. Be annoying is all to have to go landside & check the bag instead of just being able to clear transit and hit the lounges. Be nice to not have to deal with baggage claim at Sin. This bag is my only shot at making it with carry on for 10 days in Asia as the normal carry on roller wouldnt be enough. Just curious the transit process at HKG and specific to how closely they look at bag size is all.

Thanks
Old Jul 29, 2021, 3:06 am

Programs: CX Gold, KE Morning Calm, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
I have a bag question as it relates to transiting at HKG.. I have a large duffle bag (not crazy huge but def looks big). I get it on no problem within the US with no issues ever. I'll be flying JFK-HKG-SIN in April (crossing fingers). While it will be easy to board with the bag at Jfk I'm curious what transiting at Hkg is like and are they very keen on checking the exact dimensions and size of a bag? It sort of squishes and folds but to the eye it looks big. Be annoying is all to have to go landside & check the bag instead of just being able to clear transit and hit the lounges. Be nice to not have to deal with baggage claim at Sin. This bag is my only shot at making it with carry on for 10 days in Asia as the normal carry on roller wouldnt be enough. Just curious the transit process at HKG and specific to how closely they look at bag size is all.

Thanks
First, I assume your flight is with CX and the check-in/ boarding procedure at JFK shall be done by the CX staff who will determine if your bag is "small enough" to comply with the hand baggage, if it doesnt comply, they will check-in the baggage at the gate for you and it shall be a through check in to SIN.

If the staff at JFK let you take the hand baggage on board and the CX staff at HKG reject you, they will do the same thing, check-in the baggage at gate for you. There is no need to go to the landside and technically it is not feasible now due to the COVID-19 measure. All passenger enter HK need to go through all those COVID-19 testing procedure (which take hours) and then quarantine for 7 days/ 14 days or 21 days in a hotel which means you will miss your connecting flight for sure. Of coz this policy subject to change based on the Government Policy and the pandemic situation and it is hardly to say now.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 4:50 am

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)

Thanks
Are you on separate tickets?
Old Jul 29, 2021, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by realgaga
Are you on separate tickets?
me

Its the same ticket JFK-SIN. However, coming in to JfK domestically on a separate ticket so I'll be airside at JFK whereas if I check a bag I have to go get it and check it with CX at Jfk. I know this is a very miniscule issue and who knows if April will even happen but was just thinking maybe change things up and dont check a bag for an international trip (thus bring this medium ish bag not a huge one). I get the medium ish one on all the time in the US but it really isnt meant for carry on imo. I guess as the reply above said worst case at Hkg might have to check it at the gate on the way to SIN. I imagine coming out of Sin with how strict they are at the airport I'll end up having to check it anyways at which point I could just use a large bag and pack as much as I want. So bored with no travelling i guess I'm analyzing even the silliest things. Be cool to not have to wait for bags on a 3 country trip but at the same time maybe lugging around my medium bag for all my lounge hopping at Hkg, Sin, & Bkk would be annoying.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Rain187
First, I assume your flight is with CX and the check-in/ boarding procedure at JFK shall be done by the CX staff who will determine if your bag is "small enough" to comply with the hand baggage, if it doesnt comply, they will check-in the baggage at the gate for you and it shall be a through check in to SIN.

If the staff at JFK let you take the hand baggage on board and the CX staff at HKG reject you, they will do the same thing, check-in the baggage at gate for you. There is no need to go to the landside and technically it is not feasible now due to the COVID-19 measure. All passenger enter HK need to go through all those COVID-19 testing procedure (which take hours) and then quarantine for 7 days/ 14 days or 21 days in a hotel which means you will miss your connecting flight for sure. Of coz this policy subject to change based on the Government Policy and the pandemic situation and it is hardly to say now.
Well if this trip happens for me it would be after all of the mess we have now, so who knows. Thx for info though.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 3:41 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
me

Its the same ticket JFK-SIN. However, coming in to JfK domestically on a separate ticket so I'll be airside at JFK whereas if I check a bag I have to go get it and check it with CX at Jfk. I know this is a very miniscule issue and who knows if April will even happen but was just thinking maybe change things up and dont check a bag for an international trip (thus bring this medium ish bag not a huge one). I get the medium ish one on all the time in the US but it really isnt meant for carry on imo. I guess as the reply above said worst case at Hkg might have to check it at the gate on the way to SIN. I imagine coming out of Sin with how strict they are at the airport I'll end up having to check it anyways at which point I could just use a large bag and pack as much as I want. So bored with no travelling i guess I'm analyzing even the silliest things. Be cool to not have to wait for bags on a 3 country trip but at the same time maybe lugging around my medium bag for all my lounge hopping at Hkg, Sin, & Bkk would be annoying.
If you are connecting from AA or AS, you have the option to use a TA and put both tickets in 1 PNR. That way, your bag can be through-checked even if on separate tickets.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
If you are connecting from AA or AS, you have the option to use a TA and put both tickets in 1 PNR. That way, your bag can be through-checked even if on separate tickets.
Thanks. Didnt know that, never had to do this. If I decide to bring the Big bag I will def. do this. My initial mindset and reason for post was I'd love to not have to check a bag in Hk, Sin & Bkk and go carry on. The bag I can pull it off with is def not meant for carry on so just was curious how close they look in Sin & Bkk as to size. I get the bag on all the time in US its an after thought. Its those old 90's Nike duffle bags that are quite wide but have no height and fit great in the overhead bins. I'll just be bummed if I condense my pack and limit what I bring only to end up having to check it after all 3 times in Asia when in that scenario I could have brought a Big bag and packed more.

Not very important stuff I know. but just looking ahead to April.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2021, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know which class you are flying.
But the carry-on tolerance for domestic US flights seldom applies to international flights, especially non-US carriers.
Anyway, you have to do all the paperwork check(very extensive) at CX JFK and they will probably ask you to check the bag.
Old Jul 30, 2021, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by brunos
I don't know which class you are flying.
But the carry-on tolerance for domestic US flights seldom applies to international flights, especially non-US carriers.
Anyway, you have to do all the paperwork check(very extensive) at CX JFK and they will probably ask you to check the bag.
The paperwork you're referring to is due to Covid or just pre covid paperwork? I'll be in F on CX.. If this trip ever happens. Maybe best to just check, i can just bring a larger bag, not have to cut down on packing, and not have to deal with the bag while lounge hopping at HKG, SIN & BKK. I dont know how some people can do 2 weeks with a small roller & back pack and nothing else. Wish I could, would make things easier.
Old Jul 30, 2021, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The paperwork you're referring to is due to Covid or just pre covid paperwork? I'll be in F on CX.. If this trip ever happens. Maybe best to just check, i can just bring a larger bag, not have to cut down on packing, and not have to deal with the bag while lounge hopping at HKG, SIN & BKK. I dont know how some people can do 2 weeks with a small roller & back pack and nothing else. Wish I could, would make things easier.
CX will carefully check at JFK if you are allowed entry into Singapore (currently you probably cannot) and if you have the proper health documents. Currently you would need a PCR test and have to serve a stay home notice.
IMO, CX won't allow a carry-on that looks like twice the maximum size. Remember that CX F has very limited onboard storage. They removed the overhead bin, so you are left with a small closet for you bag and clothes, plus under the foot cushion. Checking in a bag at JFK to SIN would be my preferred alternative. I am unsure that AA/AS would check it through from the west coast, on two separate tickets and the risk of being not allowed to board at JFK. Covid times are different.

As you guess that is a very iffy trip in April given how covid is exploding in Asia.

In any case
happiest_at_40000 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.