Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting at Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2019, 5:28 pm

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
Originally Posted by roberto99
Please note that the length of HKG terminal is almost a mile long. Walking this distance takes some PAX a lot of time.
At a brisk walk using the moving walkways from the furthest gate (70) to the near gates (under 20) it takes about 10 minutes. Perhaps 20 at a dawdle or if for some reason you avoid the moving walkways. But the train takes only 2 minutes, so why would people in a hurry walk? I would say that the worst connection - say from Gate 70 to Gate 508 or similar - would be a 2-5 min walk + 2-4 min train + 2-3 min walk + 2-6 min bus + 1-2 min walk. So adding that up, with slow walking and worst connections - 20 mins. And considerably less than that if you walk fast and have good connections.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 2:16 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
because heading east from the terminal (the corridor at the direction from gate 36 to 20) no longer has a train
Old Apr 22, 2019, 6:03 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by kaka
because heading east from the terminal (the corridor at the direction from gate 36 to 20) no longer has a train
Arrival or Departure ?
Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:25 am

Programs: aa lifetime platinum, ba club, delta sky club, delta sky miles, delta sky club life,kal skypass
thanks for all the good replies.

first time I've had this connection ( business to coach) on this route, so I was not sure how it would work

I was surprised on a AA first class flight san/rdl that my card would not get me into the lounge in clt
and me wondering if the rules changed for int. flights also.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:57 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by murphyjunk

first time I've had this connection ( business to coach) on this route, so I was not sure how it would work

I was surprised on a AA first class flight san/rdl that my card would not get me into the lounge in clt
That was an error. A (non-AA) OW Sapphire card gets you into business class lounges on any AA flight.Specifically the Admirals Club at CLT.
https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges?location=CLT
Old Apr 22, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: aa lifetime platinum, ba club, delta sky club, delta sky miles, delta sky club life,kal skypass
same situation at the lounge out bound in san. they must have been coordinating their errors that day
Old Apr 22, 2019, 9:54 am

Think I have made big mistake

Booked couple weeks ago Amsterdam/Bangkok in J.
Ams 14/1. CX 270 arrive HK 06:55. Depart HKK 15/1. CX 705 08:35. To BKK. 1:40 transfer
BKK. 13/2. CX 702.arrive HK 22:50. Depart HKK to AMS CX 271 00:25. 1:40 transfer

After booking! Checked and found that both the flight from AMS into Hong Kong and the flight from Bangkok to Hong Kong on the way home are both flights with regular delays. Not too concerned with the outbound flight as flights between HKK and BKK are very regular and a short break in the lounge would not be a problem. However the flight home could be a major problem. On a separate ticket we have a flight from AMS to Manchester 3 hrs after our flight is due to arrive. If we miss the flight from HKK major problems. I have tried phoning customer services on two occasions to request a change to an earlier flight from Bangkok, explaining that we are both in our 70s and running through the airport would not be possible. This was only possible with a payment of around £2000, nearly half of what we originally paid. We were informed however not to worry because Cathay will look after us, 50 mins is plenty.
I know. My mistake and a warning to others to check the reliability of flights to arrive on time.
You live and learn.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Departure of the HKG->AMS flight is often delayed 1-1.5 hours, otherwise the arrival in AMS would be during night curfew and the airplane does have to go into the hold before AMS. The same for the arrival in HKG, often much earlier than scheduled. The A350 seems to fly a lot faster than the previously used 777. I have seen reported speeds of 1024 km / 637 kts (I assume airspeed).

Boarding in HKG forAMS often seems to be delayed 30-60 minutes. So, in general, you have an extra 30+ minutes HKG transfer time. Sometimes, the flight HKG->AMS is delayed for 60+ minutes to accommodate passengers arriving from SH out of Asia.

Anyway, as long as you fly both BKK->HKG and HKG->AMS with CX, then your connection is protected and CX will do everything to accommodate you, either by delaying the LH HKG outbound (probably to EU) or rebooking you. Rebooking can often be difficult, since the flights tend to be full, so CX seems to prefer to delay the LH outbound.

If you are (both) mobility reduced, you can ask CX for wheelchair assistance, code WCHR. It's free, just contact CX 48+ hours upfront. Best do this by email. The CX website gives the details for your local office to arrange this. The handler is the airport, though you have to contact CX to obtain. It'll give you priority at security and you are through in 3-4 minutes.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 1:55 pm

Thanks

Thanks Cambo that helps ease the concerns. We don’t need the wheelchairs fortunately, but running through the terminal chasing an airport guide might be just be a bit beyond us.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: CX Gold
I have a similar situation as the OP. CX260 connecting to KA375 with connecting time of 1hr 15min. And most of the time, KA375 boards in the 500 gates (bus gates). KA375 does not fly everyday. What happens if I miss the connection? Will they rebook me to MNL?
Old Apr 22, 2019, 3:25 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by murphyjunk

Which airline do you have your sapphire status from? If you mean your AA PLT, then there was not a mistake. Only non-AA sapphires and emeralds are allowed to lounges in "domestic" (including Canada and Mexico except MEX) itineraries.
murphyjunk likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 8:21 pm

Programs: CX Diamond; OZ Diamond;QF
A few years ago was flying LHR-HKG-MEL. The flight from LHR was delayed due to snow leaving about 15 minutes to make a connection. The connection was something like Gate 4 to Gate 66 (about as far apart in the Main Terminal at HKIA as is possible). There were a couple of us on the flight to MEL: we were met at the arrival gate by CX staff members and whisked on the lower (arrival) deck to the departure gate by one of those golf trolley/carts they have at the airport. I forget where we went up to the departure deck/floor but we definitely didn't have to wait in line at a Transfer point: it was very quick and very efficient and took about ten minutes from leaving the plane to arriving at the next one.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 8:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cambo
Arrival or Departure ?
departures

it did not cross my mind someone would walk 36-20 arrivals-side yet its doable

assumptions are bad and i apologize.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 9:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ronel
Thanks Cambo that helps ease the concerns. We don’t need the wheelchairs fortunately, but running through the terminal chasing an airport guide might be just be a bit beyond us.
since you have a connection AMSMAN, i would recommend you checking your BKKHKG flight regularly on the day you fly.
if you see delays, there is 2 things u can try at bkk airport-
a) tell them of your connecting flight HKGAMS and try to get on an earlier BKKHKG flight ex BKK, or b) tell them of your HKGAMS and AMSMAN if see they could reroute you BKKAMS or BKKxxxMAN.

either of which requires a delay of some sort and you going to the airport ahead of time.

also check weather conditions in HKG to see if they have already anticipated bad weather.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Ronel
Booked couple weeks ago Amsterdam/Bangkok in J.
Ams 14/1. CX 270 arrive HK 06:55. Depart HKK 15/1. CX 705 08:35. To BKK. 1:40 transfer
BKK. 13/2. CX 702.arrive HK 22:50. Depart HKK to AMS CX 271 00:25. 1:40 transfer

After booking! Checked and found that both the flight from AMS into Hong Kong and the flight from Bangkok to Hong Kong on the way home are both flights with regular delays. Not too concerned with the outbound flight as flights between HKK and BKK are very regular and a short break in the lounge would not be a problem. However the flight home could be a major problem. On a separate ticket we have a flight from AMS to Manchester 3 hrs after our flight is due to arrive. If we miss the flight from HKK major problems. I have tried phoning customer services on two occasions to request a change to an earlier flight from Bangkok, explaining that we are both in our 70s and running through the airport would not be possible. This was only possible with a payment of around £2000, nearly half of what we originally paid. We were informed however not to worry because Cathay will look after us, 50 mins is plenty.
I know. My mistake and a warning to others to check the reliability of flights to arrive on time.
You live and learn.
You do book early.

As you said, the outbound should be no cause of concern.
You should be fine for the inbound too, but the cost of a long delay on CX702 (departing 19:10) is high.. CX708 departs BKK at 17:40 (there are other flights at 16:30 and 16:40).. I would suggest you plan to arrive at airport by 16:30 and try to get on CX708 after checking if it's more or less on time. Just check the departing time from HKG of all these flights. CX will put you on an earlier flight if there is spae available.
kaka likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.