FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   HKG Pier dining — what a let down! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/1964231-hkg-pier-dining-what-let-down.html)

FlyPointyEnd Apr 25, 2019 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by londonexpert (Post 31035422)
Major problem is people are treating these places like a Michlin Star Restaurant and have unreasonable expectation.

Sure - CX did cut compared to 20 years ago (Remember the Wing back then still had an Elemis Spa (pay for) ).
But I personally don't find it so bad that is inedible.

Like I said in a recent IG story, CX's biggest competition if her former self. You don't even need to compare it 20 years ago, when The Pier F reopened a few years ago the meals were really better, portion-wise and all...I don't think people have Michelin Star expectations, the problem is like most of us here, we have seen what CX can actually offer.

triplefives Apr 25, 2019 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd (Post 31037821)
Like I said in a recent IG story, CX's biggest competition if her former self. You don't even need to compare it 20 years ago, when The Pier F reopened a few years ago the meals were really better, portion-wise and all...I don't think people have Michelin Star expectations, the problem is like most of us here, we have seen what CX can actually offer.

​​​​​​​That's a really good point. If I may to it, the reason why people feel cheated is when they feel they didn't get what they paid for. No one ex-HKG would be complaining if CX's prices were actually somewhat more competitive.

moondog Apr 25, 2019 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by triplefives (Post 31038055)
That's a really good point. If I may to it, the reason why people feel cheated is when they feel they didn't get what they paid for. No one ex-HKG would be complaining if CX's prices were actually somewhat more competitive.

I really miss Popeye's! I can eat lounge food all over Asia, but those biscuits are well worth $5.

thomas164 Apr 25, 2019 9:32 pm

I was really looking forward to my Pier J/Wing J experience next week, but after reading the reviews and comments here, I think I would just head to the airport an hour later than planned, rather than hopping around different lounges. What a shame CX is offering such a poor lounge experience nowadays.

moondog Apr 25, 2019 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by thomas164 (Post 31038134)
I was really looking forward to my Pier J/Wing J experience next week, but after reading the reviews and comments here, I think I would just head to the airport an hour later than planned, rather than hopping around different lounges. What a shame CX is offering such a poor lounge experience nowadays.

As I mentioned several posts up, the Cabin might still be okay (though they switched caterers, so I'm not sure). They don't have showers or cabanas, but you don't need either if you are departing from HK.

FlyPointyEnd Apr 25, 2019 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 31038154)
As I mentioned several posts up, the Cabin might still be okay (though they switched caterers, so I'm not sure). They don't have showers or cabanas, but you don't need either if you are departing from HK.

The Cabin has been closed for over a year already. I believe all lounges are operated by Sodexo already.

kaka Apr 26, 2019 1:42 am

Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd (Post 31038211)
The Cabin has been closed for over a year already. I believe all lounges are operated by Sodexo already.

oh no im surprised to find that out~

cathay seems to have spoiled the lounge experience for all of us

synthkeys Apr 26, 2019 10:54 am

I think Pier J, despite the changes is still rather good and a pleasant place to stay for an hour or two before a flight. But my priorities are having a nice space to relax and never had any expectations on food quality, heck it's still an airport lounge. I especially enjoy getting a pot of tea and finding a quiet place which is usually possible. I never liked Wing J very much because of the crowd.

In addition to the Pier F food being underwhelming, I'm disappointed in the dining room. It's a little shabby looking compared to the rest of the Pier F lounge and the seating is not very comfortable. Those padded benches seem like they need refurbishing. Overall, I still prefer Pier J due to the size. When I'm in Pier F I feel like I'm constantly searching around for a seat with a little bit of privacy. Yes, I've used a day room and I really appreciate it, but I'd really prefer to have my meal in there :p.

DeathSlam Apr 26, 2019 11:55 am

It's not really a poor experience. It's just that folks who experienced what was previously an outstanding product are upset when it becomes more normal. My Pier F experience many years ago was probably the best lounge experience I've ever had. I was in Wing J in March and it was crowded and difficult to find a seat. Yet I still sat there at the bar eating my noodles and dim sum, drinking champagne and looking out through the glass to the tarmac. If I wasn't so jaded I would have thought it was boss. Certainly beats lounges where there is zero atmosphere, a few crusty sandwiches and a few self serve beer options. I wanted to go lounge hopping and try some of the priority pass and Amex lounges, but when I looked inside them I decided The Wing was a much better option.
So I wouldn't give up on CX lounge hopping just yet :)

thatflyer Apr 26, 2019 12:03 pm

T

wooohh. Hold on here.

Whilst i too complained about the F CX lounge in HK let’s not get to the point to say it is not worth going to.

If you would spend any time in any lounge my choice would always be in a CX lounge (with perhaps Sydney Qantas F lounge the exception - but generally CX is my place of choice).

It is miles better than any BA lounge.

In fact given the choice I would pick a Gatwick CX business lounge over any lounge in Gatwick or Heathrow business or first. I actually prefer the CX business lounge in gatwick over the first!

So please do go to it. The food is still good (not as good as before but still good) selection of drinks is good and the showers are great!

Visconti Apr 26, 2019 12:21 pm

Ah, I was there last week, and it was fine. I mean, it isn't world class stuff, but it's better than, oh, 95% of the lounges I've been to. Maybe I'm easily content (or, don't really have it offered in North American lounges) culinary wise, but I look forward to the won-ton & don don noodles, which I prefer over the fancier stuff. Matter fact, sometimes I order 2 bowls at a time, and don't even care if it looks bad.

PS - only bad experience was (last year?) tried a Sichuan fish dish that was so spicy, it numbed my taste buds for about 24 hours.

Cambo Apr 26, 2019 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by Visconti (Post 31040214)
PS - only bad experience was (last year?) tried a Sichuan fish dish that was so spicy, it numbed my taste buds for about 24 hours.

Hmmmm, you order Sichuan fish and are surprised the Sichuan fish is extremely spicy. You have ever been in Sichuan province ?

Cambo Apr 26, 2019 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by synthkeys (Post 31039905)
I think Pier J, despite the changes is still rather good and a pleasant place to stay for an hour or two before a flight. But my priorities are having a nice space to relax and never had any expectations on food quality, heck it's still an airport lounge. I especially enjoy getting a pot of tea and finding a quiet place which is usually possible. I never liked Wing J very much because of the crowd.

Yep, The Pier J has all what a very good lounge should have.

In addition to the Pier F food being underwhelming, I'm disappointed in the dining room. It's a little shabby looking compared to the rest of the Pier F lounge and the seating is not very comfortable. Those padded benches seem like they need refurbishing.....

Yeah, the atmosphere and general dressing in the Pier F restaurant area is quite underwhelming, rather depressing so to say. This is not First class.

Overall, I still prefer Pier J due to the size. When I'm in Pier F I feel like I'm constantly searching around for a seat with a little bit of privacy. Yes, I've used a day room and I really appreciate it, but I'd really prefer to have my meal in there :p.

The extra services in the Pier F are nice, though I have to say, I do value the general comfort and atmosphere in the Pier J significantly higher. Some more low-profile dressing up of the Pier F and introduction of seating alike the leather ones along the Pier J windows would make an immediate difference.

Cambo Apr 26, 2019 1:10 pm

Don't let you discourage by all the negative critics of "grumpy old men". I have seen a lot of lounges and CX in HKG is world-class. It changed, though is still world leading, all the other brand lounges did decline to, just read the other FF Forums. Everybody complains. Even the ME glamour ones are just glamour, not that much of a real value and comfort.

Visconti Apr 26, 2019 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by Cambo (Post 31040313)
Hmmmm, you order Sichuan fish and are surprised the Sichuan fish is extremely spicy. You have ever been in Sichuan province ?

They warned me, but I didn't think it would be that spicy! No, never been, but have had the cuisine, of course.