Wiki Posts
Search

Can children fly adult tickets?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2019, 4:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Can children fly adult tickets?

My daughter just turned 10 and got another year or so to be able to fly on children's ticket, which is normally 10-20% cheaper. However it also came with quite a lot of restrictions, i.e. unable to do online check in with some airlines, unable to purchase through Business plus, unable to get op-ups etc.

If I bought an adult ticket for her, can she still take the flight?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:32 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
yes

but how are childs fares more restrictive (they are normally more flexible in that change fees are often ways).

the way it normally works is that you have an underlying adult fare (say a V fare), but you get a discount off that for a child
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:26 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Ausriver
My daughter just turned 10 and got another year or so to be able to fly on children's ticket, which is normally 10-20% cheaper. However it also came with quite a lot of restrictions, i.e. unable to do online check in with some airlines, unable to purchase through Business plus, unable to get op-ups etc.

If I bought an adult ticket for her, can she still take the flight?
Originally Posted by ermen
yes

but how are childs fares more restrictive (they are normally more flexible in that change fees are often ways).

the way it normally works is that you have an underlying adult fare (say a V fare), but you get a discount off that for a child

I second everything @ermen said. The only extra restriction you may have is that the child discount might not apply to some fares, but in this case you are just paying the adult fare. Regarding not able to OLCI or buy from Business Plus (a TA can do it and attach your BCODE), I thought the benefit (child discount) outweighs the cost? As to no op-up, I am not sure whether purchasing an adult ticket will make a child op-up eligible. I also wanted to point out that, if your daughter just turned 10, she got almost 2 years to enjoy the child discount.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

yes

Thanks for the info.

It is more restrictive to me, to start with, I can only book adult tickets through our company's account with CX's business plus, which we could have points, apply discount voucher, also using upgrade vouchers.

It is also harder to book an individual child's ticket. I some times have nested flights and when my daughter flies with me, I will need to call CX to make a booking and this became a little hard especially when I'm not at the country that she's departing from.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
But can you buy a solo adult ticket for a child?
At some point of time, you will have to enter some age information, don't you? And CX requires that a minor below 12 be accompanied by parent or travel as UM.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 4:59 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by brunos
At some point of time, you will have to enter some age information, don't you? And CX requires that a minor below 12 be accompanied by parent or travel as UM.
UM needs to buy an adult ticket but as long as there's an adult accompanying the child, the adult can be in a separate PNR. Just need to add OSI (Other Service Information) notes in the PNR.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:12 pm

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
I miss the days when child tickets was 50% discount on CX!!
Old Mar 23, 2019, 2:45 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Originally Posted by brunos
you can buy an adult ticket and put in a fake DOB for your child.

maybe not the same, but last time I was doing HKG-CMB positioning flight in J. Needed to bring a daughter so redeemed and adult AM ticket (i.e. with adult taxes) in Y and OLCI.
Got flagged at the gate to do a passport / visa check presumably. But otherwise was let through obviously swapped my J ticket with the neighbour in Y.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 5:21 pm

obviously swapped my J ticket with the neighbour in Y.
With such luck, your neighbour must’ve rushed to buy a lottery ticket on arrival!
Old Mar 24, 2019, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.