Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Does MPC status actually help for Redemption waitlist?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX MPC Gold, Mariott Titanium, United 1K

So there was a thread a while ago on Cathay wanting to fly empty flights rather than release the seats for redemption, but I was just wondering if you had a higher MPC status, would it help with wait listing redemption flights? I may just be unlucky but I feel my chances have been the same when I started at MPC green to MPC gold.

Side question - Are ex HKG flights during CNY mainly all blocked for waitlist / is there any hope of the flights clearing?
Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:48 am

Programs: CX GO, AC Aeroplan 25K, AMEX PLAT, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Amb
Lately I have seen CX not allowing waitlists on redemption upgrades (saw it on both Y to PEY and PEY to J on different dates between myself and my brother). Selling loads were at one point J9 and still no waitlisting allowed for some reasons. In the past I have done upgrade waitlists even if J0.

I hope this is not becoming the norm. I am wondering whether other FT-ers have similiar experience lately.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 3:11 am

Programs: Marco Polo Club, KF
Status definitely helps with redemption upgrades and in particular DM level. I find it is common to be declined waitlist for flights even as you say when there appears to be plenty of availability say 1-2 weeks out but for seats to be made available for those same flights at or after check-in at the airport. MPC elites are given high priority for available seats at that stage in my experience.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by etkuo
Lately I have seen CX not allowing waitlists on redemption upgrades (saw it on both Y to PEY and PEY to J on different dates between myself and my brother). Selling loads were at one point J9 and still no waitlisting allowed for some reasons. In the past I have done upgrade waitlists even if J0.

I hope this is not becoming the norm. I am wondering whether other FT-ers have similiar experience lately.
I encountered that for my flight a few days ago. When I called on 21 December, it was J9 but the MPC agent said that the R->U waitlist was closed. It became F0..J0..Y0 early January. In the end I received an op-up.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by Arbeysix
Status definitely helps with redemption upgrades and in particular DM level. I find it is common to be declined waitlist for flights even as you say when there appears to be plenty of availability say 1-2 weeks out but for seats to be made available for those same flights at or after check-in at the airport. MPC elites are given high priority for available seats at that stage in my experience.
Correct, MPC status helps. Many years ago, MPC often opened up availability for DMs (at least for upgrades) if there was revenue availability, but that changed about 10 years ago. It is not as easy now. I am currently GO, and the did not even allow me on waitlist for upgrade on a flight with J9 availability.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 4:25 pm

Programs: CX MPC DM
I've never been rejected from waitlisting a PEY->J upgrade (R->U) as a CX GO. But I've never had success clearing the waitlist although was able to do instant upgrade. Just this week, on 1/8, I booked R class ticket on CX841 for 1/11. They wouldn't confirm the upgrade and waitlist was just expiring as T-4. EF showed J9 C9 D9 I0. Next day, I checked EF and it was showing I9, so they must've just opened up the discount tickets as J class was less than half full. I called up MPC and they were able to confirm my upgrade.

My return flight is on 2/1, close to the Chinese New Year. I'm holding an R class ticket and waitlisted for upgrade. Even though EF is showing I9, I'm pretty sure they are holding out for revenue tickets so not too confident on clearing. I may rearrange my return flight to a different day thats a little more open. I'm worried that Friday before New Year will fill up fast.

I'm hoping that I get an upgrade to DM after my departure. Back in November I had asked for an extension as I was sitting at 985CP and my year was ending that month. I knew I'd have some travel in December and January. They kindly gave me 3 month extension and said I would zero out at the end of the month and call them when I get 215CP before 2/29.. My arriving flight will put me over, so there's a chance I could get upgraded to DM while on the waitlist when they possibly open up availability closer to the flight (fingers crossed).

Last edited by synthkeys; Jan 10, 2019 at 4:27 pm Reason: Fix some typos
Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:45 pm

Programs: CX GO, AC Aeroplan 25K, AMEX PLAT, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by synthkeys
I've never been rejected from waitlisting a PEY->J upgrade (R->U) as a CX GO.
Me neither, up until this month.

I used to be able to do R->U waitlists at any loads (down to J0) and up to T-4 days.

This month around I am more than 3 weeks out with J9 at one point and they kept telling me R->U waitlists are closed.

If seems to recall seeing J Choice Awards available at some point too but R->U waitlists were still closed.

I really hope this is not becoming the norm. I have always used my AM for R->U upgrades (despite the miles increase since last Jun).
Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:58 pm

Programs: CX Gold
This might be OT, but what are the chances of upgrading with miles for HKG-FRA from J to F in April for 2 pax? I'm just silver and my wife was just downgraded to green.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 12:42 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
[QUOTE=Jason Chan;30635628]So there was a thread a while ago on Cathay wanting to fly empty flights rather than release the seats for redemption, but I was just wondering if you had a higher MPC status, would it help with wait listing redemption flights? I may just be unlucky but I feel my chances have been the same when I started at MPC green to MPC gold.

You are head of the queue for any tickets released into redemption should CX ever feel like it (and recently, they rarely do)
But at GO CX will not open seats for you (compared to DM)

Originally Posted by Jason Chan
Side question - Are ex HKG flights during CNY mainly all blocked for waitlist / is there any hope of the flights clearing?
Not a system limitation - look at CSX:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.