Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

50 points short of tier upgrade - should i go for it before next long haul flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

50 points short of tier upgrade - should i go for it before next long haul flight?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2018, 4:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: asia miles

at 250, just shy of silver. Flying HKG to LHR over christmas, so that will tip me over

but would it be a better idea to take a short business class flight for 50 points before then to get silver benefits? Lounge access main one i'm thinking

If so, anyone have good timetable recommendations for Friday evening, Sunday evening return from HKG for 50 points?

thanks
Old Nov 20, 2018, 6:36 am

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Originally Posted by calcio1
at 250, just shy of silver. Flying HKG to LHR over christmas, so that will tip me over

but would it be a better idea to take a short business class flight for 50 points before then to get silver benefits? Lounge access main one i'm thinking

If so, anyone have good timetable recommendations for Friday evening, Sunday evening return from HKG for 50 points?

thanks
Might be worth taking the train up to Guangzhou and starting your journey there. CAN-HKG-TPE-HKG(-CAN) should give you more than 50 club points and probably be cheaper than HKG-TPE-HKG (which only nets you 40 club points).

EDITL: In J that is.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 6:40 am

Programs: SAS EuroBonus Gold, Qatar Privilege Club Gold
I heard it got you a bigger chance for op-up in green. Don't think worth a MR although you are sure you will reach 300, just matter of time.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by calcio1

thanks
If you are looking for lounge access, I suppose your LHR trip is in Y or W. If that's the case, it matters which class you booked. If you are travelling on W, R, E, Y, B, H, or K class, the outbound will take you to SL, so you will have access to the very good CX lounge at LHR on your way back. If you are on M, L, or V class, I see the dilemma, as you will just be 5 points short after your outbound journey. If you are on S, N, or Q class, then you will not become SL until you are back anyway.

If you are in M, L, or V class, my suggestion would be to up-fare yourself to K class or to add a CX-codeshare or BA flight (L class or above) within the UK or Europe for the extra 5 points.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:51 pm

Programs: CX ows, DL E+
Not sure if relevant, but CX bumped me to Silver in Sept, after I flew a few legs in MH J as I was just 5 points short

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.