Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

First Class Upgrade from Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2018, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club

I am booked LHR-HKG-PVG Return in J. First time travelling with Cathay. Am I likely to be able to purchase an upgrade to F at LHR or HKG if there is availability. If so, how much likely to cost per sector? I am crediting to BA Exec club. Do you know if Tier Points and Miles would still be based on business if upgraded?
Old Oct 11, 2018, 10:19 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by CaithnessTraveller
I am booked LHR-HKG-PVG Return in J. First time travelling with Cathay. Am I likely to be able to purchase an upgrade to F at LHR or HKG if there is availability. If so, how much likely to cost per sector? I am crediting to BA Exec club. Do you know if Tier Points and Miles would still be based on business if upgraded?
There is no special deal last minute price if that's what you're asking.

If you wish to upgrade, first you must be on a cash ticket. You can't uofrade an award ticket. Second, the cost will be the fare difference. Depending on your J class sub fare class, I reckon that will be anywhere between 3-5k USD per sector. I'm not familiar with LHR to PVG pricing, but my last trip to LHR F from HKG was 110k HKD IIRC, approx 13k USD. To give you an idea. I'm not totally familiar with J class fares from LHR. But the cheaper it is the more likely your F upgrade will cost more.

If you do upgrade with cash as described, yes you get the upgraded fare class points. When I've done last minute F upgrades for cash usually it books to the A sub fare class. Which is the cheaper one. I have no clue if BA treats F and A differently. That's probably a question for the BA forum. CX treats them the same for crediting purposes.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 3:29 am

Programs: CX DM/OWE, Marriott Titanium, Avis Preferred, National EE
I have never been offered an option to upgrade at the airport for CX. Sorry... I guess you can try use miles?
Old Oct 12, 2018, 4:16 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by randomeejit
I have never been offered an option to upgrade at the airport for CX. Sorry... I guess you can try use miles?
True. The OP can also attempt to use miles. Although it's worth pointing out, since the OP is crediting to BA, that only Asia Miles can be used to upgrade CX tickets. No other points currency is accepted for Instant Upgrades (which is the technical term CX gives their Asia Miles point upgrades).
OneWorldLoyalist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.