Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wrong livery... CATHAY PACIIC

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2018, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

One of the 777 just finished repaint with new livery in XMN, but they "typo" brand name after the aircraft ferried back to HKG^
Old Sep 18, 2018, 8:53 pm

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by rickywk
One of the 777 just finished repaint with new livery in XMN, but they "typo" brand name after the aircraft ferried back to HKG^
HNO, with CATHAY PACIIC titles.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 1:14 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by rickywk
Originally Posted by henryc41

HNO, with CATHAY PACIIC titles.

wait, what??? they plane has a typo on it? Does anyone have a picture?
Old Sep 19, 2018, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by QRC3288
wait, what??? they plane has a typo on it? Does anyone have a picture?
Old Sep 19, 2018, 1:45 am

WOW...
Old Sep 19, 2018, 2:19 am

How on earth does anyone make a mistake like that?

And some people in another thread were trying to say rote learning is fine in aviation!
Old Sep 19, 2018, 2:24 am

Makes me wonder how many people looked at it and said the plane was good to go.
KeepDiscovering and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 3:05 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
My guess is that none of the people who looked at it read English. It was in Xiamen. Asking Chinese to proof read English is like asking me to proof read Chinese - it's all just meaningless squiggles to me.

I'm surprised that the pilots who flew it back from Xiamen didn't notice and leave it there for a repaint.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 3:13 am

How will the repaint work?

Just curious for trivia purposes. But the mistake means the space is currently too large between "Cathay_Paciic" (comparing against B-HNK, a correctly-painted B777-300). That's where space from the missing "f" is allocated. Aka, the gap isn't at the end, meaning the final "c" is in the correct position on the incorrectly-painted bird. I hope this makes sense.

But the covering in the top right facebook photo makes it look like only the "fic" part (missing the "f") will be repainted. If so, I guess this means B-HNO will have a larger space between Cathay_Pacific and the other planes? Or are they just covering it up to spare the embarrassment for now, and will repaint the whole word "Pacific" with spacing to align with the other birds?
Old Sep 19, 2018, 3:25 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by QRC3288
Just curious for trivia purposes. But the mistake means the space is currently too large between "Cathay_Paciic" (comparing against B-HNK, a correctly-painted B777-300). That's where space from the missing "f" is allocated. Aka, the gap isn't at the end, meaning the final "c" is in the correct position on the incorrectly-painted bird. I hope this makes sense.

But the covering in the top right facebook photo makes it look like only the "fic" part (missing the "f") will be repainted. If so, I guess this means B-HNO will have a larger space between Cathay_Pacific and the other planes? Or are they just covering it up to spare the embarrassment for now, and will repaint the whole word "Pacific" with spacing to align with the other birds?
Latter, probably going to be redone entirely once back in XMN.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 3:39 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Marco Polo, Skywards, Etihad Guest, IHG, Aeroplan
I guess they just don't give a F
Alawyer, kaka, tentseller and 8 others like this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 3:51 am

Originally Posted by christep
My guess is that none of the people who looked at it read English. It was in Xiamen. Asking Chinese to proof read English is like asking me to proof read Chinese - it's all just meaningless squiggles to me.

I'm surprised that the pilots who flew it back from Xiamen didn't notice and leave it there for a repaint.
The crew would have boarded from the other side and on the walk around aren't really looking up there, plus the ferry flight was at night. No surprises they missed it.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 4:09 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
It’s probably not up to the crew whether to fly it back or not. And flight operations probably initially thought that it was more important that the aircraft be in the right position than for the paint job to be perfect.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 5:04 am

Programs: SQ, SK, QR
Originally Posted by rienhart87
I guess they just don't give a F
The plane doesn't have F - what's the point of putting it on the livery?
SKT-DK and sscywong like this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:26 am

B-HNO went to XMN for getting the new livery recently and came back this morning on 19/Sep.
Check out the photo for the "NEW" airline new - CATHAY PACIIC. This is probably one of the funniest incidents that Ihave never thought of.

Thumbs up to CX PR handling this event smoothly!

(Link got removed due to being a new member.. can someone help me post that instead? It's on CX Facebook page anyway)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.