Wiki Posts
Search

HKG-PEK or PEK-HKG in KA F

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2018, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MPC SL
HKG-PEK or PEK-HKG in KA F

Looking to redeem one way in F and one way in Y on this route.

Is there any difference between the flights in HKG-PEK or PEK-HKG?

I understand flying HKG-PEK in F will give me access to the lounges in Hong Kong. Besides that, anything else I should consider when making the decision?

Thank you in advance!
Old Jul 20, 2018, 9:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Is flying both ways in biz an option? If not, my vote is for HK-bj by a considerable margin. Catering ex-PEK has been on a steady decline ever since the rebranding.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
Is flying both ways in biz an option? If not, my vote is for HK-bj by a considerable margin. Catering ex-PEK has been on a steady decline ever since the rebranding.

Yes I can either do both ways in J or a combination of F and Y. Just thought I would try the F since I visit the F lounges in HK too.

And the regional J doesnt sound that exciting to me...
Old Jul 20, 2018, 9:53 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by imnewhere
Yes I can either do both ways in J or a combination of F and Y. Just thought I would try the F since I visit the F lounges in HK too.

And the regional J doesnt sound that exciting to me...
Ex-HKG, you should try to fly CX F to PEK, which is running this season. It is a much better hard product than KA. The breakfast service on board is lame (same as longhaul CX J, just with better plating). But I really like the extra space given how wide CX F is. I can read, take notes, do work and still eat my breakfast / drink coffee. I last did the CX flight a few months ago.

I haven't flown KA F to PEK this year. But I have flown KA F on the return recently, and to/from PVG. I can't fully remember but you basically get a amuse bouche, full lunch meal, and excellent service on the early afternoon return. I think excluding amuse bouche and dessert there were three courses: appetizer, soup and main. But just remember it's really the CX longhaul J seats in KA F. Personally I still find F worth it, the KA crews are great and I hate the regional J seats. But just fyi.

​​​​​i still think CX is the easy choice if timing works, even though the soft product sucks because you just get so much space to work and eat at the same time. At least these are my considerations. The hard product is very comfortable and I can bang through work plus drink water / coffee, and get up out of my seat to use the restroom without any contortions. The seat is huge. I really appreciate that on the short flights. Of course CX F to/from PEK is only once daily so the timings have to work, and therefore more often than not I'm on KA.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by QRC3288
Ex-HKG, you should try to fly CX F to PEK, which is running this season. It is a much better hard product than KA. The breakfast service on board is lame (same as longhaul CX J, just with better plating). But I really like the extra space given how wide CX F is. I can read, take notes, do work and still eat my breakfast / drink coffee. I last did the CX flight a few months ago.

I haven't flown KA F to PEK this year. But I have flown KA F on the return recently, and to/from PVG. I can't fully remember but you basically get a amuse bouche, full lunch meal, and excellent service on the early afternoon return. I think excluding amuse bouche and dessert there were three courses: appetizer, soup and main. But just remember it's really the CX longhaul J seats in KA F. Personally I still find F worth it, the KA crews are great and I hate the regional J seats. But just fyi.

​​​​​i still think CX is the easy choice if timing works, even though the soft product sucks because you just get so much space to work and eat at the same time. At least these are my considerations. The hard product is very comfortable and I can bang through work plus drink water / coffee, and get up out of my seat to use the restroom without any contortions. The seat is huge. I really appreciate that on the short flights. Of course CX F to/from PEK is only once daily so the timings have to work, and therefore more often than not I'm on KA.
Thanks for the ideas. Seems like CX F is only available for the morning flight, so the afternoon/evening KA flights might be better so I can hop around lounges at HKG before jumping on the flight.

Any specific afternoon/evening flights that are better or worse? Or is there a specific flight that tends to be less full, which probably translates to better service?

Old Jul 20, 2018, 10:40 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by imnewhere

Thanks for the ideas. Seems like CX F is only available for the morning flight, so the afternoon/evening KA flights might be better so I can hop around lounges at HKG before jumping on the flight.

Any specific afternoon/evening flights that are better or worse? Or is there a specific flight that tends to be less full, which probably translates to better service?

No idea. And flights get backed up / delayed often enough to/from China, that your final loading could look very different from what's actually booked. I would just book the time you want.

The later in the day you go to PEK, the more you increase your odds of a delay.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 6:32 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
i see you have asked about F lounge access on same trip on lounge thread. just my 2 cents HK F lounge isnt something THAT god of a sanctury such that you must do a mixed F/Y to sample

if i were you i just stick to both J... cuz due to likely delay you face anyhow sitting in J vs Y during delay or ATC circling is so much more comfortable
Old Jul 21, 2018, 7:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by fakecd
if i were you i just stick to both J... cuz due to likely delay you face anyhow sitting in J vs Y during delay or ATC circling is so much more comfortable
This is what I was getting at in post 2. I'm not a fan of the biz seats, but they are certainly better than economy seats, and aren't too far short of cirrus seats when the mission is sitting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.