Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

The World’s Top 10 Airlines of 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2018, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marco Polo Club; Asia Miles

https://www.worldairlineawards.com/w...airlines-2018/

BR has caught up..... LH, HU, etc at her tail......
Majority on the list are Star Alliance

Within five years, will CX be off the list????? I missed the good old days where CX & HKIA are the world's best
Old Jul 17, 2018, 7:14 pm

Well, it is reflective of the current airline world order, and it's a good thing - perhaps it'll give a wake up call to management (both CX and HKIA).
royng likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 8:15 pm

isn't it common knowledge that Skytrax ranking is proportional to how much airlines pay skytrax?
how many here have even seen or completed a skytrax survey?

'once in a life time' flyers' opinions aren't indicative of a carriers performance, as they have no base line to compare to and their expectations are influenced by their excitement.
But it does seem skytrax and airlines are targeting those type of travellers when sending out survey invites, if and when they actually do for the sake of it.

That's not to say CX and HKIA haven't been deteriorating.
I'm just saying skytrax rankings are largely baseless and should be taken with a grain of salt
remember LH got 5 star for a JCL seat design when they claim star ratings are based on product commonality and standardisation

But Hong Kong and the industry in general isn't going for 'the best' anymore, it's about doing enough to get away with it. Which makes sense. Pax are paying 'just enough' to get to where they need to be, thus the rise of LCC and HKA alikes.
Skytrax ranking isn't going to make people pay more for their travel, there's the rationale to pay skytrax less just to stay in the top 10.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 8:50 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by jckl
how many here have even seen or completed a skytrax survey?
I haven't. Don't you have to log on to airlinequality.com or something?
Old Jul 17, 2018, 8:50 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
isn't it common knowledge that Skytrax ranking is proportional to how much airlines pay skytrax?
The only observation to be made from the ranking is that Cathay does not pay Skytrax. This is not a criticism as I agree Cathay should pay them nothing.
royng and NetJets Germany like this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 8:52 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Club, KF
That's not to say CX and HKIA haven't been deteriorating. I'm just saying skytrax rankings are largely baseless and should be taken with a grain of salt remember LH got 5 star for a JCL seat design when they claim star ratings are based on product commonality and standardisation.
Agree that it needs to be taken with a large grain of salt (while also reflecting a genuine deterioration at CX). One thing I have always found bizarre about Skytrax is that there is seemingly no attempt at all to integrate safety record into the results.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 8:35 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
how about the transfer quality? i cannot see how HU can score anything there. their staff cannot communicate with anyone
royng, Isochronous and clubeurope like this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: CX, BA
I see no reason why JL is not one of the 10 best airlines. LH, HU and TG are better than JAL, huh?

No surprise to me though as this is an organization which gives recognition to a J seat which does not exist.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I will put it this way.

CX's deterioration of service is well-observed. So the drop in ranking in any lists is expected and is not a surprise. On the other hand, Skytrax's credibility has been under criticism for years.

Bottom - who cares about Skytrax? But CX gets what it is deserved.
frankyguy, rickywk and infinitium like this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by garykung
I will put it this way.

CX's deterioration of service is well-observed. So the drop in ranking in any lists is expected and is not a surprise. On the other hand, Skytrax's credibility has been under criticism for years.

Bottom - who cares about Skytrax? But CX gets what it is deserved.
Together with HKIA, they got what it is deserved
Old Jul 18, 2018, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by rickywk
Together with HKIA, they got what it is deserved
While OT, I don't believe it is the case at all.

HKIA has been below best 3 for years, but remains as top 10. In fact, this year, HKIA's ranking has been improved (from 5th to 4th).

But FWIW - the massive number of Mainland travelers have a negative impact to HKIA's image.
Isochronous likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 9:39 pm

But FWIW - the massive number of Mainland travelers have a negative impact to HKIA's image.
the clientele has got nothing to do with AAHK trying to run a low cost shopping mall disguised as an airport...they've got their priorities all wrong...

gate benches got cushions removed so pax would rather walk around, T2 is essentially a shopping mall with check-in desks, smelly toilets that are 10 years past their expiry date, slow baggage delivery coz GHAs have the worst wages for shift working manual labor in HK...

It is CX's problem as well, they and AAHK are in it together to cut cost at every corner, whilst charging travellers for '3rd runway construction', 'baggage delivery', ever increasing airport tax etc. It's rather disgusting how the government promotes the duopoly at HKG, whist endorsing AAHK and CX blatantly taking advantage of consumers. Have they not got any sense of subtlety?
rickywk likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 11:37 pm

HKIA top priority is shopping mall, duty free and food hall/hell business. They don't @#%&ing care baggage delivery waiting time, crazy toilet environment and lack of apron shuttle buses.

I do agree CX is one of the victim of HKIA, CX can play important roles to push HKIA harder but CX didn't.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 11:06 am

While OT, I don't believe it is the case at all.

HKIA has been below best 3 for years, but remains as top 10. In fact, this year, HKIA's ranking has been improved (from 5th to 4th).

I dont really see a problem with coming 4th, at that level its largely subjective. To my mind HKG and HND are both better than SIN. Swimming pools and gardens impress some but for me the shine comes off when you're being herded through the godawful gate security.

Likewise with CX. Any airline in the top 5 or 10 will be roughly equal for most passengers, it just depends on who has the shinier new cabins and who pays Skytrax the most advertising money.

These rankings are only really accurate when you're comparing Cathay to say, United Airlines.
iansh likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 7:12 pm

Programs: GFF Plat, CX DM, SQ TPPS, AS 75K
Originally Posted by 1010101
These rankings are only really accurate when you're comparing Cathay to say, United Airlines.
this is a good point... when I fly domestically in the US it also reminds me of the broader context

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.