Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay F vs. Qatar QSuites

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2018, 2:09 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Wine list (as part of catering budget) is separated into 3 bands at CX for long haul F. Only the top band ports (JFK and LHR) get Lynch Bages.
Old May 29, 2018, 9:29 pm

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
How does taste of the fine wines compare in air vs on the ground? I'm a light drinker to begin with and the higher altitude seemingly magnifies the effects so I generally stay away from alcohol.
Old May 29, 2018, 9:50 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by triplefives
How does taste of the fine wines compare in air vs on the ground? I'm a light drinker to begin with and the higher altitude seemingly magnifies the effects so I generally stay away from alcohol.
various literature i've read says the taster is impaired at altitude, mostly due to the higher-altitude environment.

some folks have gone a bit further and said certain fruit forward, high alcohol types of wine taste better than they would otherwise be on the ground.

bottom line is lots of impairments on board. High altitude, not-great stemware, stemware often isn't cleaned properly so there's residue or soapy leftovers which impact the taste, no time for any of the wines to breathe. And some of the Lynch Bages CX's serves are very very very young, and if I was drinking on the ground I'd be decanting for a long while before drinking. They're really not ready to drink as CX serves them but it's basically for bling factor.

My main point to some posts above is there just isn't any curation to the CX F wine lists (and J list is beyond bad.....). Even though CX F has a few decent wines on there, like the Krug NV or Bages or whatnot. My feeling is that CX just plops things on there which sound bling-y and cut everywhere else without much thought into making a proper wine list.
Old May 29, 2018, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
There is no doubt that CX F is F and priced at F. So comparison with a J product, priced at J, is a bit misleading.
Everyone is different and these are just my personal views.
I prefer marginally QR J food to CX F. Their budget might be lower, but food is more original and plenty of choices. CX F food is truly disappointing if you are a frequent flyer.
I don't drink bubbly, so not sensitive to the blingy Krug. But wines are very important to me. I was looking at my menus from August to December 2017 (8 flights on QR, 3 flights on CX F.
On CX F I had a Branaire Ducru 2008 and a Chablis Grand Cu 2013, all other wines were mediocre. On QR I had either Smith Haut Lafitte 2011 or Brane Cantenac 2012, and a Chablis 1er cru. But also a lovely Chianti Riserva 2012 (also one on CX F). Not saying that QR J one are better, they might be a notch below CX F, but not much, and that is J.
And if you compare to CX J, or AF J, or BA J, the difference is WOW.
Old May 31, 2018, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just to add to my previous post. I flew QR J last night from HKG to CDG.
It definitely feels as F in terms of service, food, wine, cutlery, presentation. Some wonderful dishes beautifully presented. I had a lovely main of lobster medallion with scallops and prawn. Very original on the spicy side; better than typical CX F.
And service is fast, efficient (unlike CX F which is very slow) and stylish.
Champagne was Pommery (two notches below Krug, but I don't like bubbles when flying). Chateau Lynch Moussas 2012, a nice Grand Cru Classe, below Lynch Bages but we don;t get Lynch Bages anymore on that CX route. Also a delightful Primitivo 2012. white wines were poor but a stunning Alvear dessert wine 1927 vintage (yes 1927)
G-CIVC and HaikalS like this.
Old May 31, 2018, 11:26 pm

Even the Lynch Bages on Cathay are questionable at best. They stock the worst vintage from Lynch Bages, probably for a really good price.
You never see a great Lynch Bages vintage on CX ever!
Old Jun 1, 2018, 3:54 am

I really think we just need a pinned announcement on the top

'any cabin of CX is WORSE than all other airlines in any of their cabins in any comparison"

should reduce the number of CX bashing threads on here....
Old Jun 2, 2018, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Wine list (as part of catering budget) is separated into 3 bands at CX for long haul F. Only the top band ports (JFK and LHR) get Lynch Bages.
Out of curiosity, which ports belong to which remaining two bands?
Old Jun 3, 2018, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
If the bands are by distance, presumably BOS would be included in the top two.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 7:15 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
I guess that the top bands are defined by revenue not distance. JFK and LHR are where they get the bankers spending absurd amounts of money (because they can just fleece their customers and they don't care) on full fare F.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by christep
I guess that the top bands are defined by revenue not distance. JFK and LHR are where they get the bankers spending absurd amounts of money (because they can just fleece their customers and they don't care) on full fare F.
Very few banks, asset managers or insurance companies now allow F travel. At least not big banks (HK family banks might be another story).
Old Jun 3, 2018, 3:57 pm

So far the only group of people I know who purchase revenue international first class tickets are people from Hollywood: the entertainment industry.
I'm a bit surprised LAX is not a top-tier band for CX. (only JFK and LHR are the top-tier bands, according to a poster above.)
Old Jun 3, 2018, 4:25 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
1 - JFK(/YVR) LHR
2 - CDG FRA ORD BOS
3 - LAX SFO MXP ZRH

I would predict that (progressively along the next decade), this is also the 'order' of ports where CX will phase out F class/reduce capacity gradually.

Originally Posted by agjil
So far the only group of people I know who purchase revenue international first class tickets are people from Hollywood: the entertainment industry.
I'm a bit surprised LAX is not a top-tier band for CX. (only JFK and LHR are the top-tier bands, according to a poster above.)
In the future, there will be additional F capacity reduction for LAX. There may be a market for it, but not as big of a market per se.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 4:51 pm

1 - JFK(/YVR) LHR
2 - CDG FRA ORD BOS
3 - LAX SFO MXP ZRH

I would predict that (progressively along the next decade), this is also the 'order' of ports where CX will phase out F class/reduce capacity gradually.

In the future, there will be additional F capacity reduction for LAX. There may be a market for it, but not as big of a market per se.
Thanks for the info, I find it quite interesting.
I'm really surprised ORD and BOS beat LAX and SFO.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 8:57 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
1 - JFK(/YVR) LHR
2 - CDG FRA ORD BOS
3 - LAX SFO MXP ZRH

ahh- so atleast ORD retains big bad Boeing’s with F
Bless your soul!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.