Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Cabin crew don't care about GO anymore

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2018, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold

Maybe this is already a known fact, but just had some very good conservation with flight crew (won't say which route in case some Cathay management are lurking here). I made the comment that I've noticed on their paper that they tape on the galley, in the old days I remembered they write down every elite member: DM/GO and their respective seat number. But on the last few flights, I've noticed it's only DM and EMD (don't remember seeing OW EMD being highlighted before). They've confirmed with me that the old training routine is to treat DM/GO well, but the new standard is to pamper DM and EMD, but ignore the GO.

Another reason if you can't make DM with Cathay, there's no point trying.
kaka, fairhsa and Zerothman like this.
Old May 9, 2018, 11:44 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Probably because some people complained to AA BA and other OW members that CX treats OWE worse than MPC own members thus asking those airlines to treat CX DM bad... (Source: The comment section of an older post in fb HK*** group) And that guy very proudly announced there that after his complaint CX backed down and treat OWE well

I really want to tell that selfish guy to [Redacted] as I never fell how BA treats CX DM well at all (didn't have chance to fly AA yet... last time flew QR was in J so don't know if my CX DM status made any difference)

Also BA program is becoming more and more well-known in HK thanks to credit cards promo as well as some other tutorials... I really doubt if CX goes on treat OWE same as DM, plus other programs have lifetime status offer but not CX more and more people will simply move away from MPC

Last edited by sscywong; May 9, 2018 at 11:45 am Reason: Typo
Old May 9, 2018, 11:52 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Anyway... I don't see they care about DM much more nowadays.... Just flew some DM heavy routes round-trip recently (HKG-PEK/PVG/SIN)… No matter I was in J or in Y the only "extra care" I had was the 5 second ISM greeting...

No water (not saying the DM water, not even a Bon****, i.e. simply same as a normal passenger), no meal reservation (so no eat first as well)...
Old May 9, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
CX did not care about DMs (even in paid J) the last few years I was DM. I have been ignored as GO even in paid J the past 1.5 years as a GO. I don't even know if I can make SL this year. Well, I would not expect much...
Old May 9, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I've found that flying CX as OWE, that CX generally treats me better than my own home program (AA). AA doesn't treat me poorly, by any means, but CX always makes me feel appreciated. And they're incredibly consistent from one flight to the next. The same cannot be said for AA. Even with the cutbacks at CX, I'd still go out of my way to fly with them.
Old May 9, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by swingaling
I've found that flying CX as OWE, that CX generally treats me better than my own home program (AA). AA doesn't treat me poorly, by any means, but CX always makes me feel appreciated. And they're incredibly consistent from one flight to the next. The same cannot be said for AA. Even with the cutbacks at CX, I'd still go out of my way to fly with them.
And this is exactly why we have the monthly/quarterly restrictions to CX lounges proposal threads and semi-annually CX leaving OW threads.
Old May 9, 2018, 6:36 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by sscywong
Probably because some people complained to AA BA and other OW members that CX treats OWE worse than MPC own members thus asking those airlines to treat CX DM bad... (Source: The comment section of an older post in fb HK*** group) And that guy very proudly announced there that after his complaint CX backed down and treat OWE well

I really want to tell that selfish guy to [Redacted] as I never fell how BA treats CX DM well at all (didn't have chance to fly AA yet... last time flew QR was in J so don't know if my CX DM status made any difference)

Also BA program is becoming more and more well-known in HK thanks to credit cards promo as well as some other tutorials... I really doubt if CX goes on treat OWE same as DM, plus other programs have lifetime status offer but not CX more and more people will simply move away from MPC
Wow, I didn't see that post on HK*** group....anyway I think CX should always prioritize it's own members before others. On QR status doesn't seem to make any difference even if you're QR Platinum, I find a lot on QR is dependent on the crew.
royng likes this.
Old May 9, 2018, 6:37 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
Maybe this is already a known fact, but just had some very good conservation with flight crew (won't say which route in case some Cathay management are lurking here). I made the comment that I've noticed on their paper that they tape on the galley, in the old days I remembered they write down every elite member: DM/GO and their respective seat number. But on the last few flights, I've noticed it's only DM and EMD (don't remember seeing OW EMD being highlighted before). They've confirmed with me that the old training routine is to treat DM/GO well, but the new standard is to pamper DM and EMD, but ignore the GO.

Another reason if you can't make DM with Cathay, there's no point trying.
For the seat chart I have seen crews write up to AM (Asiamiles) on the corner...so I doubt this is the policy.
Old May 9, 2018, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by andersonCooper
And this is exactly why we have the monthly/quarterly restrictions to CX lounges proposal threads and semi-annually CX leaving OW threads.
This isn't unique to CX. AY treats me better than AA, even on cheapo intra-Europe Y fares. They always personally greet me and offer me a free newspaper; basically the same treatment they give their own Platinum members.

What you're seeing here is a whole lot of sour grapes from hub captives who know that MPC is a stingy program and dislike that other programs (AA, BA) have sweet spots that can be exploited. Let's not forget that MPC GO/DM can access every single AA lounge in the US for free when traveling here. AA doesn't even grant this benefit to its own elites. Yet, I don't see a bunch of threads on the AA forum looking for restrictions on lounge access to non-AA elites.

Ultimately, I spend at least as much with CX as I do with AA, so why shouldn't I get lounge access? And frankly, it's a pretty cheap price for CX to pay to ensure some level of loyalty from me. I'd wager any lounge access restrictions would hurt CX more than it would help.
Old May 9, 2018, 7:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
there you go
i think this is why cx treats us better because we value them better. Mpo will fly them and complains a lot😂
swingaling likes this.
Old May 9, 2018, 7:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, CX MPC Gold, Avis preferred plus, MyWaitrose card
As a data point I have noticed that since switching crediting flights from BAEC (where I am Gold/Emerald) to MPC (where I am Gold/Sapphire) about two months ago, the 'cabin crew greeting' no longer occurs on every flight. I assume this is mainly down to numbers (e.g. flights with loads of Golds/Sapphires they probably only have time to greet the Sapphires).

I also haven't had a single op'up since switching to MPC, whereas the rate was about 30% when I had my BAEC number in the booking.

Doesn't really bother me to be honest, the whole greeting thing gets a bit grating after a while (as I am normally already watching something on the IFE), although it is nice when flying Y when they bring you a pre-departure Cathay Delight!

However, in contrast I have never had a single op'up or cabin crew greeting with BA!
Old May 9, 2018, 7:46 pm

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
I'm DM and Hubby is QF Gold - he gets a little niceness occasionally (he got a bulkhead seat on his last long haul flight, which is frankly more useful than a greeting!) but on the whole they ignore him and are nice to me. I get greeted on every flight, water on flights if in Economy, approx 50% upgrade rate (but I fly very high upgradable routes, so this may be anomalous). IMHO CX DM is very valuable.
Old May 9, 2018, 7:50 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Club, KF
I also find the greeting is indeed inconsistent however can be genuinely very warm when given. I have certainly felt valued as GO/DM and this is much appreciated, particularly when many of us go out of our way to stay loyal connecting via HKG when we need not do so. Opup rates (particularly PE to J) are high for me on short regional routes and again that is highly appreciated. I personally think that the CX soft product remains strong and there are many crew who do the company proud day in day out.
Old May 9, 2018, 8:08 pm

I'm pretty happy with how I get treated as a GO. I'm still getting greetings on most flights (although it probably depends on how many DMs are aboard), I'm getting op-ups and instant upgrades pretty often, I get invited to MPO events, I get priority seat access. Actually one of the best benefits of GO is getting through faster on Cathay's phone line. I used to spend ages on hold listening to their hold music, now I generally get put straight through.
Old May 9, 2018, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
This isn't unique to CX. AY treats me better than AA, even on cheapo intra-Europe Y fares. They always personally greet me and offer me a free newspaper; basically the same treatment they give their own Platinum members.

What you're seeing here is a whole lot of sour grapes from hub captives who know that MPC is a stingy program and dislike that other programs (AA, BA) have sweet spots that can be exploited. Let's not forget that MPC GO/DM can access every single AA lounge in the US for free when traveling here. AA doesn't even grant this benefit to its own elites. Yet, I don't see a bunch of threads on the AA forum looking for restrictions on lounge access to non-AA elites.

Ultimately, I spend at least as much with CX as I do with AA, so why shouldn't I get lounge access? And frankly, it's a pretty cheap price for CX to pay to ensure some level of loyalty from me. I'd wager any lounge access restrictions would hurt CX more than it would help.
As an AA EXP, I 100% agree with you CX is way more consistent than AA, and I pay my own dine way more to CX than to AA.

But things are fundamentally different with CX MPC.

1) It's way easier to attain AA EXP than it does to CX DM (~50% spending difference), so it makes sense to eliminate general access to AA lounges; While AA's "lounges" are wide-spread across a big country, CX's main customers are based out of a single city with 5 lounges - even for a program with status harder to attain, it's reasonable not to eliminate access. When designing loyalty program, you want to be either exclusive (CX, Marriott ambassador), or general (AA/BA, "you are an elite! you are also an elite!") access, but the benefits should follow accordingly (Former comes with more while latter is almost none, see how AA boarding priority has Ruby the same group with some credit card holder);
2) MPC's main problem is that OW benefits basically overlap or provides more than what MPC has to offer itself (lifetime status for instance), which makes getting DM almost pointless if you just want to be greeted/not to be ignored/getting a bottle of water as mentioned above. In contrast, OWE does not get UDU on AA domestic, which is the most valuable benefits most EXP value. Nobody looks for lounges access (especially most of which are awful without real food) restrictions as a result. If AA changes the UDU rule to all OWE prioritized by first come first serve (similar to lounges access), see how many similar posts will appear on AA forum.

Not starting another salty MPC-only lounge/CX leaving OW post as I am no longer with MPC and I certainly don't want CX to place such restrictions or leave OW(F/J-only lounge is welcome if only CX is ok forgoing lounge revenues from partners), but just saying it is what it is at the moment - MPC GO/DM needs better tangible benefits than its OW equivalent, not by reducing OW treatments, but by enhancing its own.
kaka, QRC3288, kawaii and 1 others like this.

Last edited by andersonCooper; May 9, 2018 at 9:15 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.