Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chances of being re-accomodated?

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2018, 11:34 pm
Original Poster

Chances of being re-accomodated?

In a bit of a situation here... I'm on 2 separate tickets on Cathay 1)MEL to HKG (issued by AS) and 2)HKG to BOM (issued by BA). Now there's a storm going to hit Melbourne on the day I have to depart which may cause me to misconnect (connecting time is 2 hours). What should I do? Go as is and hope that CX accommodates me on my second flight if I get delayed? Or proactively change my second flight to the next day to be safe?
Old May 8, 2018, 11:45 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by i_gtgo
In a bit of a situation here... I'm on 2 separate tickets on Cathay 1)MEL to HKG (issued by AS) and 2)HKG to BOM (issued by BA). Now there's a storm going to hit Melbourne on the day I have to depart which may cause me to misconnect (connecting time is 2 hours). What should I do? Go as is and hope that CX accommodates me on my second flight if I get delayed? Or proactively change my second flight to the next day to be safe?
Hard to say. Comes down to you. They certainly don't owe you anything if you misconnect, although they probably will help out get rebooked on their metal. I can't see them shelling out for another carrier given the low value of the tickets you're on, and the fact they owe you nothing if you misconnect. You certainly won't be given a hotel or food vouchers or whatnot. Really comes down to you.
Old May 8, 2018, 11:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Well, there’s no chance of a misconnect as you never had a connection. If you no show for flight 2 you are at the mercy of CX. They certainly won’t put you on another carrier but they might take pity and put you in a later flight. I would change my flight if I were you.
QRC3288 likes this.
Old May 9, 2018, 12:36 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
My experience is different. I missed my CX-CX connection on separate bookings. Baggage was checked through. CX gave me a hotel in HKG and put me on the flight the next day.

Albeit a few years ago.
Old May 9, 2018, 12:39 am

Programs: MP, BR
Originally Posted by sxc
My experience is different. I missed my CX-CX connection on separate bookings. Baggage was checked through. CX gave me a hotel in HKG and put me on the flight the next day.

Albeit a few years ago.
But were the tickets issued by CX? It might have made a difference compared to the OP's case.
Old May 9, 2018, 12:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
To be clear, I’m not saying they won’t, just that they don’t have to. And everyone has a different risk tolerance and comfort zone.
Old May 9, 2018, 12:44 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Chromie25
But were the tickets issued by CX? It might have made a difference compared to the OP's case.
They were issued by CX through travel agents. But this doesn’t matter when it comes to how CX deals with IRROPS.
Old May 9, 2018, 2:09 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
CX-CX protection is stock neutral!
Old May 9, 2018, 2:37 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by i_gtgo
go to the airport and see if they can accomodate you on an earlier flight. much better than asking for info here and get given experience that isnt exactly yours.
my experience is they have some leeway to put you on another flight operated by CX. Assuming you dont want to get to BOm late, get on an earlier flight (and that you wont be left into a later suspense).
Old May 9, 2018, 4:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sxc

Albeit a few years ago.
Sounds promising. Thing is BA is as stubborn as a mule. When I told them that the storm might cause a misconnect and the fact that they've blocked out awards for the next few days, they didn't care and said bad luck! But I too have a feeling that CX will try and accommodate due to the bad weather. At the end of the day the pax are only missing their flight due to another CX flight.
Old May 9, 2018, 6:32 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
No documented logic, but I think that the OP will be very fine.

Short version:
CX, even during the nadir of its baggage through check policy, was protecting CX/KA-CX/KA connections even across separate tickets. Things are better now.

Long version: IIRC, when CX blindly followed other oneworld carriers to the no through check policy, there was a pointed exemption for intra-group connections across separate tickets. Unfortunately, the cxagents links seem to all have been updated to the current version (https://www.cxagents.com/cxa/gc/en_HK/ln2) which, perhaps deliberately, omits any reference to travel disruption / protection - but I remember this since that took care of most of my cross-booking connections then.
OK - found it - the now changed policy ( http://www.cxagentsusa.com/support/b...cketing-policy)
"The oneworld ticketing and disruption policy" With effect from 01 Jun 2016, all oneworld....example D.

Interestingly, the current version (https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...e-tickets.html), Section 3, is sufficiently vague on disruption, choosing to refer to the Conditions of Carriage instead- which, surprisingly, define a "CONNECTING FLIGHT” as "means a subsequent flight providing onward travel on the same ticket, on a different ticket or on a conjunction ticket.". After that section 10.2 takes over and I would expect them to protect the OP through to BOM.

I am no lawyer, but would have no qualms in pulling the 'per your conditions of carriage..please check with HQ' line on any agent/station manager.
(& now, I am curious as to what other airlines' CoC say about connections - given the 'you have no connection since its on separate bookings/tickets/PNRs' line that keeps coming up on such queries on the BA/AA/Oneworld forums..
percysmith likes this.
Old May 9, 2018, 6:52 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by jagmeets
OK - found it - the now changed policy ( CXAgents USA - Support - Booking and ticketing policy)
"The oneworld ticketing and disruption policy" With effect from 01 Jun 2016, all oneworld....example D.
The table you quoted D from looks like the old cxagents table...anything meaningful changed?
Old May 9, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
No clue..but it’s unlikely that they were protecting CX-CX across bookings then, and not, now.
Old May 11, 2018, 6:53 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Looks like you should have made your connection okay? No disruption on the MEL flights yesterday for CX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.