Wiki Posts
Search

CX vs KA on HKG-PVG route

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2018, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
CX vs KA on HKG-PVG route

I'm looking at a long haul flight into HKG on CX in F. I would connect on to PVG I guess in J since I don't think the regional would have F. My question is I can book either KA or CX flight as my connection for the regional leg. Other than looking at departure times is there any reason to select one over the other?
Old Apr 4, 2018, 10:54 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
I think this has been asked before, there are some KA flights to PVG which has F i believe....you might want to look into connecting to one of those.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 11:34 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Red259
I'm looking at a long haul flight into HKG on CX in F. I would connect on to PVG I guess in J since I don't think the regional would have F. My question is I can book either KA or CX flight as my connection for the regional leg. Other than looking at departure times is there any reason to select one over the other?
There are a few threads on this, I recommend searching a bit because there's significantly more content here than a few posts will provide. That said:

*In the past I think most regulars in J and F would've pointed you to KA. Its catering offerings were historically superior to CX (far superior, in the case of PEK and PVG just as recently as 2-3 years ago), and I found service better at handling the occasional weird issues that happen with China flights (extreme delays being # 1 ).
*But CX, with the "rebrand" of KA, has essentially killed KA catering so that it's almost down to CX's levels. KA still uses a separate caterer but I fail to discern much difference between the two anymore.

*All regional hard products are aligned now across CX and KA. However, some KA flights have an F cabin, which confusingly is the same as CX long-haul J hard product. Even more confusingly, sometimes KA will sell F to PVG, and other times that cabin is flying but is sold as J.

*Long story short, I'd be agnostic...and go scheduling first. But if I had a little flexibility, I'd narrow it down to CX or a KA widebody (eliminating the KA narrowbodies, see below).

*If you book KA, I'd *probably* recommend sticking with a widebody config (A330) because the narrowbodies, except for a blue-moon on the A321, go out of the "Dragon Island" which is just an extra pain in the butt because you gotta take a bus out. It's not too terrible but it adds about 5-10 minutes to the time to get to your gate and you have to ride a bus for a few minutes, sometimes crammed in pretty tight. "Dragon Island" is our name for the remote terminal which is currently only accessible by bus, and is where most of HKG's (very few) narrow-body flights are relegated to. Virtually all KA A320 and A321 flights go from there. KA has a ton of flights to PVG each day and some are A330s other are A320/A321 so check. Sometime in the next few years a bridge is being built between the main terminal and Dragon Island but until then the bus is the only way to access it. My guess is Dragon Island will become a lot better experience once the bus is eliminated, I hate the damn bus.

*CX offers a mix of regional and long-haul birds to PVG. Usually either 33E, 33K, 33P, but sometimes also 77H, 773Z and 772Z.

*You can find our fleet guide here with details (including what all the airplane codes above mean), comparing the KA and CX fleet types. Cathay Pacific / Cathay Dragon Fleet, Route and Configuration Guide
CBR922 and infinitium like this.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by QRC3288
There are a few threads on this, I recommend searching a bit because there's significantly more content here than a few posts will provide. That said:

*In the past I think most regulars in J and F would've pointed you to KA. Its catering offerings were historically superior to CX (far superior, in the case of PEK and PVG just as recently as 2-3 years ago), and I found service better at handling the occasional weird issues that happen with China flights (extreme delays being # 1 ).
*But CX, with the "rebrand" of KA, has essentially killed KA catering so that it's almost down to CX's levels. KA still uses a separate caterer but I fail to discern much difference between the two anymore.

*All regional hard products are aligned now across CX and KA. However, some KA flights have an F cabin, which confusingly is the same as CX long-haul J hard product. Even more confusingly, sometimes KA will sell F to PVG, and other times that cabin is flying but is sold as J.

*Long story short, I'd be agnostic...and go scheduling first. But if I had a little flexibility, I'd narrow it down to CX or a KA widebody (eliminating the KA narrowbodies, see below).

*If you book KA, I'd *probably* recommend sticking with a widebody config (A330) because the narrowbodies, except for a blue-moon on the A321, go out of the "Dragon Island" which is just an extra pain in the butt because you gotta take a bus out. It's not too terrible but it adds about 5-10 minutes to the time to get to your gate and you have to ride a bus for a few minutes, sometimes crammed in pretty tight. "Dragon Island" is our name for the remote terminal which is currently only accessible by bus, and is where most of HKG's (very few) narrow-body flights are relegated to. Virtually all KA A320 and A321 flights go from there. KA has a ton of flights to PVG each day and some are A330s other are A320/A321 so check. Sometime in the next few years a bridge is being built between the main terminal and Dragon Island but until then the bus is the only way to access it. My guess is Dragon Island will become a lot better experience once the bus is eliminated, I hate the damn bus.

*CX offers a mix of regional and long-haul birds to PVG. Usually either 33E, 33K, 33P, but sometimes also 77H, 773Z and 772Z.

*You can find our fleet guide here with details (including what all the airplane codes above mean), comparing the KA and CX fleet types. Cathay Pacific / Cathay Dragon Fleet, Route and Configuration Guide
Thanks I ended up booking with CX on the hope that I might get the long haul product on the route.More importantly by doing so it buys me an extra hour in the lounges although I am only there for breakfast so I'm not sure how impressive that will be. Since its only HKG to PVG and I will be able to eat in the lounge I'm not that worried about onboard catering. The flight isn't that long and I got a sense about the whole "Dragon Island" thing, which seemed like it would be one more potential hassle.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 11:48 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
KA operates on two airways while CX only operates on one between HKG-PVG, this could be a huge advantage for flying KA during flow control days.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Another point to note is that obviously if you booked in KA's F or A class you get the miles and tier points associated with that, even if the hard product is the same as CX's long-haul J.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Another point to note is that obviously if you booked in KA's F or A class you get the miles and tier points associated with that, even if the hard product is the same as CX's long-haul J.
Its an award flight so point earning on the flight isn't a factor this flight but good to know for future.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 8:38 pm

More importantly by doing so it buys me an extra hour in the lounges although I am only there for breakfast so I'm not sure how impressive that will be.
The Eggs Benedict in Pier F are gooood
Old Apr 5, 2018, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gpia

I'll keep an eye out for them.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 9:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold

last time i had them they were good for prenants. so seems like they managed to mess that up.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 2:37 am

Programs: CX DM, BA Gold
I fly HKG-PVG/SHA a lot in a mix of J/Y. Just a few thoughts:

1) For CX, this route, as most of its regional routes gets equipment swapped a lot, sometimes very close to departure. The morning CX flight (looks like what you are on) is the mostly likely to be on the LH product.

2) Depending on your destination in Shanghai, KA does give you two choices. SHA is a lot less affected by ATC for this route although it seems they have downgraded the daily flight to A321 now (it has been A333 for years).

3) J catering on KA is very similar to CX although KA does offer some monthly special menus (but not for breakfast). You'd be better offer just eat at the lounge. For future reference, Y catering, KA is way better than CX.

4) It is a short flight (plus the likely-than-not long taxi at PVG) so even a regional J product is not end of the world. (try to avoid those A320s and sometimes even the morning A333s can leave from a bus gate).

5) For breakfast, Pier F offers a lot more choices than Wing F.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by kaka
last time i had them they were good for prenants. so seems like they managed to mess that up.
Mine always had a beautifully liquid center. Maybe you appeared pregnant and they were being considerate
kaka likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 6:32 pm

Mine always had a beautifully liquid center. Maybe you appeared pregnant and they were being considerate
Just had this past week, and they were two soft/semi-hard-boiled eggs! Had to send the dish back for a redo.
kaka likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 8:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold

i usually look like a caveman so its a bit hard.....
Old Apr 6, 2018, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
Just had this past week, and they were two soft/semi-hard-boiled eggs! Had to send the dish back for a redo.
Wow. Did they poach them the second time then?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.