Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HK Airlines + HK Express for SALE

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2018, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by marcommm
That is one big reason CX should do so, isn't it
YES, therefore, I hope HNA will not sell them to CX.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Aus106080
YES, therefore, I hope HNA will not sell them to CX.
what if CX is the highest bidder

what if CA wants some return on its 30% investment in CX instead of the stupid loss making price war. gaining nothing for either party...

am sure this one was one the points of the CX-CA partnership from Swire's perspective, get the big boys in China on your side for HK matters....

am confident QR would also be pushing Swire to gain slot control at HKG- it just makes business sense ( am so glad QR is a shareholder now because it drastically reduces the threat of a CA takeover)

CX competes with more airlines at HKG than SQ does at SIN
are SQ fares over priced?
I highly doubt CX will be overpriced

although Hogg reckons CX fares will go up later this year so maybe some behind the scenes deal has informally occured?
Old Mar 31, 2018, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by Kachjc
what if CX is the highest bidder

what if CA wants some return on its 30% investment in CX instead of the stupid loss making price war. gaining nothing for either party...

am sure this one was one the points of the CX-CA partnership from Swire's perspective, get the big boys in China on your side for HK matters....

am confident QR would also be pushing Swire to gain slot control at HKG- it just makes business sense ( am so glad QR is a shareholder now because it drastically reduces the threat of a CA takeover)

CX competes with more airlines at HKG than SQ does at SIN
are SQ fares over priced?
I highly doubt CX will be overpriced

although Hogg reckons CX fares will go up later this year so maybe some behind the scenes deal has informally occured?
But HNA still can choose the buyer even CX maybe the highest bidder.
HNA can use HX stake as a part of cooperation with other airlines which will help HNA for their longhaul growth.
It depends on how HNA view this transaction.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 11:04 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

The last thing we need in HK is another Cathay monopoly
Old Mar 31, 2018, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I doubt CX has the money to do so.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by garykung
I doubt CX has the money to do so.
you may want to check their Balance sheet....
Old Mar 31, 2018, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by clubeurope
The last thing we need in HK is another Cathay monopoly
when 100 plus airlines compete against you
when there is a mega airport just across the border

and you still call it a monopoly

an economics 101 textbook needs to be chucked at you....
Old Mar 31, 2018, 11:48 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

when 100 plus airlines compete against you
when there is a mega airport just across the border

and you still call it a monopoly

an economics 101 textbook needs to be chucked at you....
I am referring to the market of Hong Kong based airlines, and no, a monopoly isn't necessarily a pure monopoly.

Bear in mind that a monopoly would imply one company dominating the market, but not necessarily the only firm in the market, at least in practice.

If CX buys Hong Kong Airlines and Hong Kong Express, all the passenger airlines in HK will be owned by CX, thus giving CX a monopoly power over the Hong Kong air routes. Given the many, considerably more favourable slots owned, CX would thus gain an ability to charge a premium over routes covered non-stop.

Given the barriers of entry that CX will be able to impose (owning majority of slots in slot-limited airport, having more non-stop flights, having the most desirable real-estate (lounges, gate slots in main terminal), and the having the most desirable time slots) CX does get the opportunity to deter other airlines from entering the market and expecting high revenue and/or profit from the route, and thus is in monopoly of the local airline market. Thus, the assumption would be that, CX will then be able to make abnormal profits. All of these are assumptions of a monopoly.

With HX charging much cheaper prices in HK right now, CX can't do that.

And no, CAN and SZX are not considered perfect substitutes to Hong Kong and many people are less likely to fly there and connect by other means to HK than for them to fly non-stop.

Thanks for your offer, but no, you can keep the economics book for yourself.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 12:04 am

We need a local conglomerate to take charge. Perhaps this can be Li Jr's first major acquisition after his fathers retirement?
Old Apr 1, 2018, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by bart simpson
If CX really buys shares of HX, I guess we can all start to say goodbye to cheap ex-HKG tickets.
I haven't even said hello to cheap ex-HKG tickets yet.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by clubeurope
I am referring to the market of Hong Kong based airlines, and no, a monopoly isn't necessarily a pure monopoly.

Bear in mind that a monopoly would imply one company dominating the market, but not necessarily the only firm in the market, at least in practice.

If CX buys Hong Kong Airlines and Hong Kong Express, all the passenger airlines in HK will be owned by CX, thus giving CX a monopoly power over the Hong Kong air routes. Given the many, considerably more favourable slots owned, CX would thus gain an ability to charge a premium over routes covered non-stop.

Given the barriers of entry that CX will be able to impose (owning majority of slots in slot-limited airport, having more non-stop flights, having the most desirable real-estate (lounges, gate slots in main terminal), and the having the most desirable time slots) CX does get the opportunity to deter other airlines from entering the market and expecting high revenue and/or profit from the route, and thus is in monopoly of the local airline market. Thus, the assumption would be that, CX will then be able to make abnormal profits. All of these are assumptions of a monopoly.

With HX charging much cheaper prices in HK right now, CX can't do that.

And no, CAN and SZX are not considered perfect substitutes to Hong Kong and many people are less likely to fly there and connect by other means to HK than for them to fly non-stop.

Thanks for your offer, but no, you can keep the economics book for yourself.
you still need the book...
try Mankiv's blog

the market is the HK aviation market
not the "local" market
what next
Coke has a monopoly in the Mc Donalds market?!!

the only logical statement you made was barriers to entry
- which will be sorted with the third runway
Old Apr 2, 2018, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
you may want to check their Balance sheet....
About USD$2B.

First - it is certain that CX will use all the cash for the M&A if even happened.

Second - I doubt HX is only worth that little.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 12:47 am

About USD$2B.

First - it is certain that CX will use all the cash for the M&A if even happened.

CX is not hard to obtain extra capital to do so, like bonds issuance, right issue etc.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by CX HK
We need a local conglomerate to take charge. Perhaps this can be Li Jr's first major acquisition after his fathers retirement?
Doubt he is that stupid...
Old Apr 2, 2018, 3:40 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
About USD$2B.

it depends how much junk hna is pricing into their deal- probably loads of junk and maybe not even a plane you’ll get.
anyone smart will not do a deal w them even if its free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.