Wiki Posts
Search

Giving lai see to cabin crew

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2018, 10:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kawaii
It was always my habit to give out Starbucks cards - in the States, I would use that as small denomination Christmas gifts for service industry folks and in Asia, I think it is more acceptable than giving lai see (IMO). Although I would love to see the ICAC case of the HKD20 lai see.
if cx said no then its a no. Be it 1, 20, 101, or 1000.
chocolates are ok nonetheess. (I read over on the ba thread, saying why best is to get stuff on inflight duty free, is that of open food safety precaution.)

technically speaking a random customer onboard is not far different from a stranger
jerrywu likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 12:46 am

Programs: SPG PLT, HH Gold
I would think a small gift such as chocolates would be more culturally appropriate as well.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 1:46 am

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
Originally Posted by hkskyline
I will report anyone giving cash/red packets to a flight attendant as it may construe a bribe for a different/enhanced service. Don't think the ICAC will look upon this lightly either.

I haven't seen anyone done so either. Don't think it is customary for flight attendants, unlike security guards or the tea lady at work.
Wow what a stingy attitude! Having said that, Lai See is intended for people you actually know, not random strangers. Its NOT A TIP and it's certainly not a bribe. That seems to be a complete mis-understanding of the custom. It's about expressing good luck/prosperity for the new year, thus the amount does not need to be large for it to be a nice gesture. If you are in HK during CNY, then every man and his dog is handing out envelopes to people around them and nobody minds. There are housing estates that ostensibly "bans" Lai See - which are typically ignored by everyone. I probably would not give to flight attendants on the basis that I don't know them (individually) - but I do know the check in staff really well in Manila, and were I flying there on CNY (I'm not), I would certainly consider giving them something.
Isochronous and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 1:50 am

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
Originally Posted by FlyTheFriendlyMonkey
I would think a small gift such as chocolates would be more culturally appropriate as well.
That's you imposing your culture on Hong Kong people. The standard is cash. Ideally crisp new notes in an envelope with some good wishes on it. Yes, I HATE giving people money because it's totally outside my culture. We Aussies don't even tip. But lai see is cash.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by fairhsa
Wow what a stingy attitude! Having said that, Lai See is intended for people you actually know, not random strangers. Its NOT A TIP and it's certainly not a bribe. That seems to be a complete mis-understanding of the custom. It's about expressing good luck/prosperity for the new year, thus the amount does not need to be large for it to be a nice gesture. If you are in HK during CNY, then every man and his dog is handing out envelopes to people around them and nobody minds. There are housing estates that ostensibly "bans" Lai See - which are typically ignored by everyone. I probably would not give to flight attendants on the basis that I don't know them (individually) - but I do know the check in staff really well in Manila, and were I flying there on CNY (I'm not), I would certainly consider giving them something.
Did you read ICAC's guidance?

Hong Kong ICAC - Law Enforcement - Anti-corruption Laws - Aspects of Prevention of Bribery Ordinance (POBO)

An employee of a private sector company must obtain permission from his employer for accepting any gift offered by the customer, supplier, etc. Custom is not a reasonable excuse for accepting an advantage.

A lai see can easily be construed as a bribe if there are circumstances where the passenger giving it may have received additional service, which can be quite easily proven on a flight. The guidance also says cleaning workers accept an "advantage" when receiving a lai see.

Just because others risk themselves breaking the law is not as excuse everyone else can do so as well. It's not a matter of stinginess, but the law.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 8:09 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Oh FFS! You clearly have no clue whatsoever how HK (or even Chinese in general) society works.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 11:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by christep
Oh FFS! You clearly have no clue whatsoever how HK (or even Chinese in general) society works.
most employers wpould end up allowing staff to take laisees for at least a couple of days a year (or at the most extreme case, stephan chan). but I'm pretty sure CX *isnt* one of them.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 11:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by hkskyline
Did you read ICAC's guidance?

Hong Kong ICAC - Law Enforcement - Anti-corruption Laws - Aspects of Prevention of Bribery Ordinance (POBO)

An employee of a private sector company must obtain permission from his employer for accepting any gift offered by the customer, supplier, etc. Custom is not a reasonable excuse for accepting an advantage.

A lai see can easily be construed as a bribe if there are circumstances where the passenger giving it may have received additional service, which can be quite easily proven on a flight. The guidance also says cleaning workers accept an "advantage" when receiving a lai see.

Just because others risk themselves breaking the law is not as excuse everyone else can do so as well. It's not a matter of stinginess, but the law.
now you are over-reading it without knowing CX's stance. However, I'd like to hear if anyone had given laisees to CX Crew.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 12:20 pm

Wow someone better call the ICAC on all the grandmas giving lai see at dim sum! Let's not forget those foreigners who are always tipping everywhere they go!
kaka likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by kaka
now you are over-reading it without knowing CX's stance. However, I'd like to hear if anyone had given laisees to CX Crew.
Someone already alluded to company policy banning receipt of cash gifts, which is a typical anti-bribery policy requirement for multinational firms.

I tend to agree a positive letter to the firm would do the FAs far more good : http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...8/24/tip-crew/
kaka likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 4:09 pm

Programs: Marriott AmBE ; AA EXP; Amtrak Select Executive; Hertz PC
what happens if I give lai see AFTER the flight is over and I'm getting off the plane so they have no chance of giving me "special" treatment? i doubt the FAs would remember me anyways. The law is law but there is a reason why we have lawyers, because everything is up for interpretation. Nothing is ever black and white especially law......
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 4:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dunno282
what happens if I give lai see AFTER the flight is over and I'm getting off the plane so they have no chance of giving me "special" treatment? i doubt the FAs would remember me anyways. The law is law but there is a reason why we have lawyers, because everything is up for interpretation. Nothing is ever black and white especially law......
it doesnt really matter re when you give. Cx pretty much said no to cash gifts in any form. But i feel the cx crew having better integrity than those who rules hk to a point they dont take laisees.

but yeh- had anyone took laisee would derserve some reporting to cx or icac. (I just think taking it to cx would be sufficient)
Old Feb 16, 2018, 5:38 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by dunno282
You may not be criminally liable at that point because you will not be receiving any advantage, but the FAs can still be in trouble.
kaka likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 7:40 pm

Programs: MPC, HH & others
Originally Posted by flubber
Thanks everyone. Got it - no lai see packets for the cabin crew!
@Carfield - thanks for the tip. Chocolates always go well

My ex used to work as a FA for Cathay for over a decade. They can get into trouble for accepting or consuming any gifts if a pax reports it.
I was told that often some other FA possibly junior could tip off management as well.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 6:59 am

Programs: CX AY DL
Some notoriety we've gained here folks https://www.facebook.com/cxsecret/posts/1645491652195735 which a comment seems to suggest gifts under ~USD20 are acceptable

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.