Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Silver Priority Baggage Checkin Privilege

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Silver Priority Baggage Checkin Privilege

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2017, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, CX MPC Silver
Question Silver Priority Baggage Checkin Privilege

Hi, I am a Silver Member, and I should enjoy priority baggage upon check-in, it also states that my travel companion will also receive priority check-in and baggage. I have a friend travelling on the same date but on a different flight to the same destination (LHR), can this friend enjoy the aforementioned priority baggage? I am taking the CX 237 and the friend is taking CX 255. The flights are only 20 mins apart. Also, if that is not possible, is it possible to move this friend to my flight? This friend has no status (CXAM) and travelling in Y class, while I am (Silver/Ruby) am travelling in I class. Thank you very much!

William
Old Dec 22, 2017, 12:24 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
Originally Posted by william0910
Hi, I am a Silver Member, and I should enjoy priority baggage upon check-in, it also states that my travel companion will also receive priority check-in and baggage. I have a friend travelling on the same date but on a different flight to the same destination (LHR), can this friend enjoy the aforementioned priority baggage? I am taking the CX 237 and the friend is taking CX 255. The flights are only 20 mins apart. Also, if that is not possible, is it possible to move this friend to my flight? This friend has no status (CXAM) and travelling in Y class, while I am (Silver/Ruby) am travelling in I class. Thank you very much!

William
​​​​​​
To begin with, I would be mentally prepared to have this friend stating in the original flight as CX has zero obligation to move him unless it serves them a benefit (I. E. oversold).

You will be fine with your friend travelling together for priory checkin. If the line isn't huge they would process your friend on the other flight too!

I would be surprised if OWR gets priority baggage.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
CX's own Ruby members (Silvers) get priority baggage on CX. However, my understanding of how it works, esp ex-HKG, is that the "priority" is coded into the bag tag barcode, i.e. the blue/red "priority" tag is more of a flashy indicator than an actual means for baggage handlers to identify priority vs. non-priority bags. Since your friend is on a different flight altogether, he/she will not get the same priority barcode as you. You may be able to get the agent to apply a tag to his bag, but I wouldn't expect it to deliver any real benefit.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 12:47 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by william0910

William
Not exactly the same situation, but once I was travelling on TPE-x/HKG-SIN while my friend on TPE-x/HKG-LAX. We had the same TPE-HKG flight. The check-in counter gave my friend priority bag to LAX, too. However, as cysyuen mentioned, this is not an entitlement and you should not count on it.

Originally Posted by cysyuen
​​​​​​I would be surprised if OWR gets priority baggage.
CX's own Ruby (Silver) gets J priority bag on CX or KA.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 3:38 am

Programs: CX, Hyatt
As mentioned, it is not entitled. However, rules around priority baggage are generally loosely enforced. To be clear I personally do not encourage this, but chances are if the agent is in good mood and you ask nicely, he/she will probably look the other way and do it for you not because of your status, but as a favor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.