Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Help with deciphering AA fare rules on JL metal, for CX MPC accrual?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood

Sorry if this is a dumb query, but I'm not used to doing this buying tickets on a different carriers' website. Buying a pair of biz tickets on AA's website, for JAL and CX metal flights. I will be crediting to CX MPC.

Itinerary starts in Taiwan, and has stopovers in Tokyo. American booking code seems to be this code "DNE08YN0".

Pretty cheap tickets, for the record - less than $4k USD each.

Does anyone know if I will accrue MPC CP and Asia Miles for these tickets?
Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:33 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
IIRC the first letter of the fare basis is usually the booking class in this case "D". But you are probably best to search the AA forum to be certain here.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by QRC3288
Does anyone know if I will accrue MPC CP and Asia Miles for these tickets?
One thing we'd have to know is whether the flight numbers are AA, JL or CX?
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:52 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Let us say the tickets are AA coded (if CX/JL code you definitely will earn class D).

I wouldnt see a reason why you would not earn points on a revenue business class flight with OW partner code operated by a OW carrier (havent had this experience personally on CXAM, but on my BAEC program I earned on MH code operated by JL)

In fact are there any OW partner code + operated revenue business tickets that do not earn any points on the major programs?
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:56 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ermen

In fact are there any OW partner code + operated revenue business tickets that do not earn any points on the major programs?
I think some of the YUP AA fares cause a problem when crediting to CX. They either earn as economy, or some discount economy.

In this case, if it is an AA code, and it is D class, then it will credit to CX accordingly (it doesn't matter that it is JL metal).
Old Dec 11, 2017, 10:28 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Let us say the tickets are AA coded (if CX/JL code you definitely will earn class D).

I wouldnt see a reason why you would not earn points on a revenue business class flight with OW partner code operated by a OW carrier (havent had this experience personally on CXAM, but on my BAEC program I earned on MH code operated by JL)

Don’t know if it’s still the case but certainly in the past, some discounted J fares on MH didn’t earn for BAEC.

S
Old Dec 12, 2017, 12:09 am
Original Poster

Looks like the way the tickets came out (all purchased from AA), the sectors have different codes. They are:

Sector 1: JLxxx
Sector 2: AA8xxx ("operated by Japan Airlines")
Sector 3: AA8xxx ("operated by Japan Airlines")
Sector 4: CXxxx

It looks like these are all "D" fare tickets.
Thanks for the help
Old Dec 12, 2017, 4:50 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Looks like the way the tickets came out (all purchased from AA), the sectors have different codes. They are:

Sector 1: JLxxx
Sector 2: AA8xxx ("operated by Japan Airlines")
Sector 3: AA8xxx ("operated by Japan Airlines")
Sector 4: CXxxx

It looks like these are all "D" fare tickets.
Thanks for the help
Yup, check aa.com for the fare bucket (booking class), and within oneworld marketing carrier prevails (meaning you will earn the AA rate for the JL flights, although it likely doesn't matter).
Old Dec 13, 2017, 9:56 am

Data point, my fare basis ILE08QN0, I Class AA flight took place on 6th Dec., was credited to MPC club points and Asia Miles on 13th Dec.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by jerrywu
Data point, my fare basis ILE08QN0, I Class AA flight took place on 6th Dec., was credited to MPC club points and Asia Miles on 13th Dec.
AA flights almost always get credited on Wednesday next week.
jerrywu likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

First follow up

Flown 2 of the sectors so far.

2nd sector (AA flight #) credited very quickly. It credited as "American Airlines Domestic Business" (whatever that means, this was a flight from HND-USA on JL metal), and gave me 75 points. And the miles posted on Wednesday, like the poster above said AA flights do.

The first sector, which was a JAL flight # and JAL metal (although purchased via AA) farther back, hasn't yet credited.

Just for info purposes.
Hottub Cowboy likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 7:11 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Did you get the club points you were expecting?
Old Dec 29, 2017, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sxc
Did you get the club points you were expecting?
Yup, I did. 75 is what I was expecting.

I'll report back if/when the JAL and CX sectors post. I have one of each without the AA flight number (but bought via AA). Flew the JAL sector already which hasn't posted, have the CX sector next week.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 9:39 pm

The first sector, which was a JAL flight # and JAL metal (although purchased via AA) farther back, hasn't yet credited.
JL recently switched to Amadeus. Not sure if it makes crediting more automatic and quick or if it might mess things up.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Final Results

For anyone reading this in the future and curious, here's the final result.

Situation
Book biz fares for two pax on AA website, included JL and CX metal, and JL, CX and AA flight numbers.
Longest flights of sector were two round-trip JAL flights from Tokyo to USA.
4 sectors total, D fare by AA's reckoning (string of digits/letters started with "D").
Total cost after some changes ended up being a bit under $9k USD for two tickets.
Both passengers crediting to MPC.

Result
JL metal / JL flight # (1 sector): Credited as anticipated, 25 CP. On MPC statement as "Japan Airlines (Business Class)". ~1 week to credit.
JL metal / AA flight # (2 sectors to/from USA): Credited as anticipated, 75 CP each. On MPC statement as "American Airlines (AA Domestic Business)" (lol). Credited Wednesday following flight in both cases.
CX metal / CX flight # (1 sector): Credited as anticipated, 30 CP. On MPC statement as "Cathay Pacific Airways (Business Class)". 1 day to credit.

Based on what ernestnywang says above about AA flights crediting on Wednesday, it seems like in this case the flight # was the determining factor. Even though I bought all sectors via AA. The AA flight codes were credited in the way ernestnywang mentioned, while the others weren't.
ernestnywang likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.