Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Business vs. First

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2003, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Delta
Cathay Business vs. First

I want to find out about these two services since I am currently scheuled to fly business in May JFK-YVY-HKG-DPS-HKG-YVR-JFK for my honeymoon. I had heard fantastic things about CX and am using AA miles for these tickets. I don't normally travel business so this is a treat for us both but I had debated shelling out for first. Ultimately, I decided on business because the extra 70,000 miles for the two tickets would have come pretty close to cleaning out my AA mileage account. Unfortunately, I just found this board and now I'm reading all these incredible things about how you should consider trading your 1st born child or sell a kidney for the chance to experience CX first class.

Is the difference worth the extra miles? (it seems like it is, now.)

What are the major differences between these two?

Do we have access to all the same lounges in YVR, HKG, and JFK?

Is it possible to upgrade the tickets that I currently have, either with miles, or upgrade credits?

Lastly, and probably most importantly, having already ticketed this trip. Is it too late to try and go for first? I think that I would have to return the current tickets that I have and then pay a change fee $100 pp, and then reticket in first if available. Does this sound about right?

I'd appreciate any and all input. I realize now that this trip was exactly what I'd been saving all these miles for and now I'm kicking myself that I didn't go first class originally.
Old Jan 14, 2003, 2:10 pm

im suprised you were able to get TWO seats in j on the same flight! i have been trying for weeks to get award j seats on cx
Old Jan 14, 2003, 2:30 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
F is much nicer and the 70K miles is a bargain, but it is very hard to get 2 F seats on the same flight ... console yourself with the thought that you wouldn't have been able to get the dates you want to fly in F. Also HKG-DPS doesn't offer F service (it is 2 class). You have F lounge access if you are Emerald (AA EXP), otherwise it is only J lounge access. There is a substantial difference between the J and F lounge, but the J lounge is very nice (esp. compared to US lounges). It is impossible to upgrade award tickets, you would have to redeposit and re-issue. Be happy with what you have, it is still a great trip, and next time spend the miles for CX F. Or spend the dollars and enjoy the experience. While in Bali splurge for a night at one of the great hotels there (Four Seasons or Aman), it will cost USD500 to 1000 for a day but worth it.
Old Jan 14, 2003, 2:58 pm
R&R

I went for the FC trip of a lifetime and still have my kidneys! It was very nice without the usual jetlag after the return flight. And the knit lounge pjs are wonderful, once you get home!

The champagne and cavier were a nice touch. Found the seats a little uncomfortable in the fully flat position, but perfect with the back elevated slightly and duvet covers for a restful sleep.

I went back to sit in the Business class seat, since I don't really need all the attention of FC. The seat seemed small and the cabin felt tight. But even more interesting were all the newspapers (and trash) on the floor. Looked more like a 'pen'! FC looked immaculate on arrival! Different breed of passenger upfront, I assume.
I was told the food was simiiliar in BC.

If you are not used to FC and are younger, I would say that BC would be acceptable and save the FC experience for your 'Golden years'. Unless you want to splurge.

There were 3-4 empty seats in each direction LAX-HKG. Very quiet sleepy group. The A343 from Bangkok had only 2-3 in FC. The FA have time to visit with you and make sure, that you are taken care of with meals and other comforts.

Old Jan 14, 2003, 3:04 pm

to answer your question about lounges you will be able to use the first class lounge in hkg wich is very nice only if you travel in first or are ow emerald
Old Jan 14, 2003, 4:29 pm

Keep your current tickets. Especially if you usually fly coach, Cathay business class will be a great treat, and you'll have a great time. (Not sure that the same can be said for Hong Kong weather in May, but that's a different issue.)
Old Jan 14, 2003, 4:57 pm

First class only has 12 seats so it is more like a private club. The main difference in food is you get to choose when you want to eat and they offer better selections (Lobster, soup, eggs to order. . . ).

When I fly in first and walk back to the business cabin, I think to myself "my this cabin looks so cramped and crowded--how dreadful". When I fly in business and walk back to coach, I think the same thing and then come to the realization that business class is a pretty nice cabin to fly in.
Old Jan 14, 2003, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Delta
Thanks for all the input. Sounds like I should be satisfied with what I have currently and concentrate on making my stay in both locations memorable (to say the least). One thing that I forgot to mention; we are in the upper deck since I think its a bit more intimate and I just like being up there. Will this have any impact on the quality of service, cabin appearence (less foot traffic?), etc. Also, in reading other posts that CX is gradually converting to a new business class and I know that others have posted when and which aircraft will be converted. By May can I reasonably expect that most 747's (especially the JFK-HKG equipment)will be upgraded?

Incidently, I did call American and with some juggling of times and routes I was able to find two FC seats for the trip. Unfortunately my travel dates are just not that flexible and the times just cut things too close. I also found out that it was 90K extra miles rather than 70K to go to FC.

On a slightly different subject, my trip will have a stop in YVR which as far as I can tell will happen at ~2-3 AM given time changes. What exactly do we do during this time? Do we have to disembark and go through customs? Does everyone normally just stay on the plane and sleep or are there lounges available?

On the subject of HKG weather, this being our first trip there I'm not really too concerned...HKG is still HKG even if its raining, muggy, etc. I was in Thailand, Vietnam, and Laos in July and August and while hot; I didn't think it was unbearable. Definitely much more pleasant than mowing lawns in DC in August with 95% humidity; but then again...what isn't.

Westward Bound
AvMax8

[This message has been edited by AvMax8 (edited 01-14-2003).]
Old Jan 14, 2003, 5:26 pm

I took HKG-JFK last week.

At YVR, all of us deplaned and stayed in a waiting lounge with beverages and some snack. It is a regular pre-departure area but secluded. It was not CX's lounge. I flew this route a few years ago. At that time, I could get into CX's lounge but this time it was apparently not allowed.

The aircraft we flew had the new business class. I was in Y and it was a long trip! JFK-HKG is even longer. Flying businesss, I am sure, will be fine.
Old Jan 14, 2003, 6:12 pm

for JFK-HKG, @ YVR you wouldn't have to deplane.. just sit and wait for an hour while more pax come on board at YVR but for HKG-JFK i believe you do have to deplane.
Old Jan 14, 2003, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA EXPLT, BA Gold, Shang Elite
weathr in hkg is probably like that of SC. a bit cooler than FL in winter, more humid.

summer is like BKK
Old Jan 14, 2003, 6:58 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Tango:
First class only has 12 seats so it is more like a private club. </font>
the a340-600 only have EIGHT seats makes it harder to claim an award but nicer once you are there
Old Jan 14, 2003, 7:22 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
This is a simple answer...

If you have the miles then fly FC on CX. It is out of this world, amazing and is the only way to fly on such long distances. While I cannot compare with J having never been in J on CX...I will confirm that F on CX was like no other F I have flown.

Good luck getting the seats if you decide on F.
Old Jan 14, 2003, 8:10 pm

the top deck far surpasses the lower deck its almost as good as f, as far as the fa's attention and service go
Old Jan 14, 2003, 10:21 pm

I take the YVR to HKG flight on average of once to twice a month. I have never seen people who are heading to Hong Kong get off the plane. In the old days when people did get off the plane, they would always let the reboard first but since nobody is getting off, they no longer make that call.

People are required to get off on in YVR on the way to JFK due to security reasons. Everbody waits in a secure boarding lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.