Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

How strict are ex-JFK excess baggage fees

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2017, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Location: JFK 🇺🇸 (mostly); YVR 🇨🇦 (a bit less); HKG 🇭🇰 (even less)
Programs: Marco Polo GR 😂😂; HHonors Gold; Ritz Carlton Gold

How strict are the ex-JFK baggage fees?

I need to check in an additional piece of luggage this time ex-JFK in F; any chance of getting the additional checked bag fee waived?
Old Nov 7, 2017, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA, BA Avios, AMEX Plat
All depends on the day and agent. You may have luck if it's 3 bags but still under the weight allowance.. be prepared to pay for it though.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by hl176
I need to check in an additional piece of luggage this time ex-JFK in F; any chance of getting the additional checked bag fee waived?
Not really. Excess weight is easier to deal with than excess baggage.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 12:11 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by hl176
How strict are the ex-JFK baggage fees?

I've had experience both ways with Cathay (C class, DM statu) at JFK.

1) 3 bags, but each was weighting at 75 pounds, passed.

2) 4 bags, but combined weight is *only* 200 pounds. I actually had my credit card out ready to pay a fee, but the agent promptly called her supervisor, passed.

I'm not sure about the staffing now since it's been awhile, but when BA staff was doing Cathay flights, I had nothing but great and friendly experiences.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
I'm not sure about the staffing now since it's been awhile, but when BA staff was doing Cathay flights, I had nothing but great and friendly experiences.
Yeah the BA staff at JFK are the best. I think they don't have an incentive to charge anything for CX. When they give out extra lounge passes for my travel companion, I think they might even benefit themselves, as I don't know if that means CX will pay extra to BA for the lounge.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Yeah the BA staff at JFK are the best. I think they don't have an incentive to charge anything for CX. When they give out extra lounge passes for my travel companion, I think they might even benefit themselves, as I don't know if that means CX will pay extra to BA for the lounge.
It's been years since BA handled CX at JFK.

They're now handled by WFS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.