Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Reversing first name last name order on Cathay - via an agent

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2017, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Executive Club

Hi
I made a group booking (7 people) on Cathay Pacific flying London to Taipei and booked via GoToGate. To my horror I realised I had written one name in the incorrect order (surname is listed as first name and visa versa)

I've phoned GoToGate who initially said Cathay wouldn't let them change the name and I would have to pay a large cancellation fee. I then phoned Cathay who said they would change it, but only if the agent contacted them. The agent say they will contact Cathay but they expect to be denied permission (GoToGate do not seem to have very good customer service in general it seems)

My question is - in the worst case scenario and I cannot change the order of the names - will the person be denied boarding by Cathay Pacific. Or is it likely this will be overlooked?
Thank you!
Old Nov 4, 2017, 6:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. Do a three-way call with the TA and CX. That way, this all gets done with you on the phone and you can then go online and verify that it was done.

2. Names in the wrong order are very common. Especially because across different culture, name order may be different. So long as both names are correct, you won't have any trouble, but still want this corrected so as to save time.

For example:

OK Harry Smith vs. Smith Harry
BAD Harry Smith vs. Tom Smith
danco35 likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 7:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
You’ve double posted this in the online TA forum as well.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
This will not cause any issues at check-in. It happens every day; airport staff is used to deal with it. Leave it as it is. You are will not be allowed to change the names with cancelling/rebooking - you don't want to do that.

No need to worry - you will be fine.
danco35 likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
it's not a problem
danco35 likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Has happened to me several times. Only issue is when airline agents try to find me in their computer. I have to tell them to look under [given name as on passport], not [family name as on passport]. Sometimes wastes a whole fifteen seconds.
danco35 likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 1:00 pm

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
Yes agree with above. It happened to me and check in agent couldn't find the reservation until I told him to check using last name first/first name last. Found it no problem and checked in without any further problem.
danco35 likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 8:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Please follow the redirect as we send this to our CX forum.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Nov 5, 2017, 2:29 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, CX MPO DM
Agree with previous kind posters that there should be no problem checking in.
My situation is somewhat a permanent mismatch - if that helps.
Passport is First Middle / Last. But MP account (and therefore, all tickets) is First / Middle Last. Agents usually get it right on second try when they try to locate the reservation.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 4:20 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by landingpoint
Agree with previous kind posters that there should be no problem checking in.
My situation is somewhat a permanent mismatch - if that helps.
Passport is First Middle / Last. But MP account (and therefore, all tickets) is First / Middle Last. Agents usually get it right on second try when they try to locate the reservation.
I'd seriously recommend that you request MPO to change your name.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Your problem isn't airline, your problem is customs. Airline, as a business entity, probably will be more lenient (as many posters here seems to be able to overcome this problem). However, the custom agent may or may not be as lenient.

Taipei is a friendly nation and you might get away with it. But keep in mind you're taking a risk.

I would do all I can to change it, if not, pray as you land in Taipei.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 9:02 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
Your problem isn't airline, your problem is customs. Airline, as a business entity, probably will be more lenient (as many posters here seems to be able to overcome this problem). However, the custom agent may or may not be as lenient.

Taipei is a friendly nation and you might get away with it. But keep in mind you're taking a risk.

Not wanting to be a stickler for detail, but I think you mean the "immigration" officer / agent, not the "customs" officer.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My impression is that an immigration officer couldn't care less how your name is stated on the BP; as long as you have your passport the imm. officer will be satisfied. Often the officer will not even look at the boarding pass.

Likewise, customs doesn't deal with or have an interest in your BP.

Rest assured that as long as you are able to get a BP from the check-in agent (which all the replies so far seem to agree will not turn out to be problem) the rest will be fine. No need to stress about this.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Advice like this is not helpful to the OP. It should be apparent from the replies above that there is almost zero risk with switched last and first names in the ticket.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 12:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K

Customs agents will not care at all (neither will immigration officers). Your recommendations are wrong and not helpful to the OP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.