Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Is it me or is it really getting warmer in the cabin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2017, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

Last 4 to 5 sectors, traveling on CX B777-300ER and A350, I find the cabin in the front EY rows, window seat very warm. I sense no airflow, no hint of chillness and very warm over the areas of my body in contact with the seat.

I asked the Cabin crew to lower the cabin temperature if possible and I got relief only in 2 of the 5 flights. I understand you may not get chilled air when you are on the ground but we are talking when aircraft is airborne.

My airline pilot friend told me that it is my right as a passenger to demand for lower temperature. My aircraft engineer friend told me that it's all part of fuel saving.

I can take poor inflight food, poor service, in-service delays but how to withstand several hours flying in a restricted EY seat, feeling uncomfortably warm?

(Audio)
Old Oct 25, 2017, 9:36 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Audio
Last 4 to 5 sectors, traveling on CX B777-300ER and A350, I find the cabin in the front EY rows, window seat very warm. I sense no airflow, no hint of chillness and very warm over the areas of my body in contact with the seat.

I asked the Cabin crew to lower the cabin temperature if possible and I got relief only in 2 of the 5 flights. I understand you may not get chilled air when you are on the ground but we are talking when aircraft is airborne.

My airline pilot friend told me that it is my right as a passenger to demand for lower temperature. My aircraft engineer friend told me that it's all part of fuel saving.

I can take poor inflight food, poor service, in-service delays but how to withstand several hours flying in a restricted EY seat, feeling uncomfortably warm?

(Audio)
I haven't flown in EY in a while, but I've done roughly 10 CX 77W segments in the last few months in F and J. Haven't had any issues...cabin set to 21-23 C each time. I'm pretty obsessed with the temperature and generally ask each flight.

Anecdotally, I just asked a friend who works as an ISM. She hasn't been instructed anything new. Maybe there's something with the specific area you're sitting in or for whatever reason Y is turned up hotter. Or you just got unlucky. I don't think anything has changed company-wide.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 9:53 pm

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Yes, it's your right to ask for lower temperature... But my experience is window seat during daytime will get warmer while at night will be cooler

Also different people have different sense of temperature... While temperature can be set zone by zone, there's no one single temperature that everyone is happy

But honestly I doubt the fuel saving effect by lowering the temperature... It's pressurized and warmed anyway.... And believe it or not, cabin crew like cooler temperature as they are working hard... Usually they will try to get it cooler instead of warmer to avoid getting completely sweat...
Old Oct 25, 2017, 11:35 pm

Programs: Frantic Hilton/Marriott runs
For daytime flights, I always find this website useful to determine which side of the craft will be facing the sun (ie much warmer by the window)
Old Oct 25, 2017, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

I never have the issue with the sun shining on either side of the plane. This is because I will lower the shades and I am no longer selecting seats base on the direction the sun will be shining on any more. It never affect me.

Incidentally,all the times I felt uncomfortably warm, it was night outside the window.

The experience is so bad now, I am planning to bring a thermometer to measure the air temperature whenever I fly.

(Audio)
Old Oct 26, 2017, 8:10 am

Another warm cabin thread from JAL forum
Old Oct 26, 2017, 9:03 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Actually I never really noticed it until recently, but my CX CMB-HKG flight was warmer than usual.

Will continue to monitor.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:18 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Really irritates me that CX didn't install personal air vents. Asian airlines always keep the cabins too damn hot for my tastes which is fine, just have the decency to install personal air vents too. AA wins this one for sure.
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 3:02 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by no1cub17
Really irritates me that CX didn't install personal air vents. Asian airlines always keep the cabins too damn hot for my tastes which is fine, just have the decency to install personal air vents too. AA wins this one for sure.
Agree. On my recent flights I have minor DVT symptoms, and told ISM who was really concerned, and then lowered the temp.

AA domestic varies though, sometimes freezing sometimes too hot.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 3:39 am

I haven't noticed it on CX and the fuel saving would not be noticeable. The aircraft engine bleed air is set by a different control, temperate setting has nothing to do with it, and at altitude most of the hot bleed air is cooled by heat exchangers anyway and then mixed with hot air to regulate the temperature. Air cycle packs don't have much work to do.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 5:28 am
Original Poster

Been on another 3 more return flights, short haul, no issues.

Went from HKG->LAX CX884 15 Nov 2017, no issue.

Then it happened..... LAX->HKG CX885 23 Nov 2017.....

Feeling warm at Seat 33A PEY......meausre the temperature just to make sure it is not me....

Told the cabin crew and 20 min later.

Thank you, crew of CX885 23 Nov 2017. .....It's not me!!!

(Audio)
Old Nov 26, 2017, 6:20 am
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
CX and KA have changed the passenger count when the lower the pack flow (Air Con Levels) this year to save fuel.
There is a "low" option that was used when fewer people were travelling.
Now its is almost always "low" flow.

For example.. on a A321, there are 172 seats. If there are less than 160 people aboard, it goes to low.
It saves approx. 0.4 % of the fuel. Thats significant.

However, like increasing seats, its simple one more way Swire is worsening the product.

They are literally taking air away from its customers.

How this hasn't been reported or a been made a bigger issue, I will never know.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 7:45 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
And....it happened to me too

Well, time for me to backtrack from my post above. Just had a very similar experience as audio. This post is disjointed but at least in my flight a few days ago, my anecdote lines up with those critical posts above.

J class minicabin, CX884.

I finally fall asleep about 5 hours into flight, but wake up after 30 minutes asleep, sweating. Check my travel thermometer: 25.3 C (78 F). I call over the crew and ask what is my zone set to, they check and confirm 23 C. So there was a clear 2+ degree Celsius difference between the setting and the actual temp at my seat!

I eventually asked them to turn it down twice. The first time they bumped it down to 22, and the cabin temperature actually increased, to 25.5 C at my seat. It then hovered between 24.5 and 25.5 when the minicabin J temp was clearly set at 22.

Bizarrely, when I put my thermometer in the overhead bin, it read a dead-even 22.0! This lined up perfectly with where the crew had set the temp in my zone. So somehow the overhead bin was the proper temperature, but my seat was totally out of whack. And the greatest variance in temperature at my seat would occur when crew or pax moved through the cabin. It seemed airflow could've had something to do with it. I'll add this was a superb crew. The BCs and FP ran back and forth to my seat while we were working this out.

After it became apparent the reduction to 22 C wasn't having the desired effect at my seat, the ISM came over to deal with me. She said she would set lower again, this time to 21, and if that didn't work she would talk with the cockpit crew to see if they could do anything about the air conditioning settings malfunctioning.

I am not sure if the ISM did this, but after setting my zone to 21 C, eventually my seat was hovering between 21.9 and 22.5 C depending on when I checked.

I hadn't experienced this until now. Fwiw, F was full, J was ~10+ empty seats, and the crew said Y wasn't full either.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 7:53 pm

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by deadinabsentia
CX and KA have changed the passenger count when the lower the pack flow (Air Con Levels) this year to save fuel.
There is a "low" option that was used when fewer people were travelling.
Now its is almost always "low" flow.

For example.. on a A321, there are 172 seats. If there are less than 160 people aboard, it goes to low.
It saves approx. 0.4 % of the fuel. Thats significant.

However, like increasing seats, its simple one more way Swire is worsening the product.

They are literally taking air away from its customers.

How this hasn't been reported or a been made a bigger issue, I will never know.
Well I was on KA734 yesterday which was packed. It was stifling on boarding and so I complained and was told things would get better when we took off. The temperature did get reduced after take off, but it took at least 15 mins to get to normal. Don't know why but this thread suggests the aircraft's air con was on the "low" setting in spite of being full in J and Y. However my flight from HKG to KUL was half empty and was freezing to the extent where I had to pull on my jumper - and I am usually one of the last to wear a jumper.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Why didn't CX install air vents?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.