Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX 777s

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2017, 12:34 am
Original Poster

CX 777s

I am aware that CX is the launch customer for the 777-9x but these will not be entering service before 2021. In the interim, does anyone know if CX is planning to refresh/update their existing 777-300s, in particular the IFE? The screen resolution in particular is a joke compared to the hi-def available on CX's own A350 and competitors and the cabins.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 12:40 am

In which cabin?

I think you're exaggerating how much of a "joke" they are, at least in Y. I believe AC and others are still installing the same system up until very recently.

In Y CX is going 3-4-3 and putting in either 10 or 11" HD screens. J, I'd be surprised if they bother upgrading FB2 to FB2+ especially considering all the problems they're having with the A350 seat.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 12:45 am
Original Poster

Business Class. I don't know about Economy but in business class the screen resolution is horrible and more often than not the screens are horribly scratched. I am not talking about the IFE content but just the resolution.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 1:09 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by samuelo
Business Class. I don't know about Economy but in business class the screen resolution is horrible and more often than not the screens are horribly scratched. I am not talking about the IFE content but just the resolution.
I don't find the resolution to be as bad as you seem to suggest. It's the content, including the airshow, that can be quite low-res.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 1:10 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
B-KPW is the only 77W with refreshed IFE system flying now
F has a new screen, bigger and higher res, new additional screen on the (new) remote
J has the upgraded software, but same screens and remotes
PEY has 'new' screens, slim and black rather than grey (and overheating). It is the same one as those on some later frames
Y has just the new system
Old Oct 16, 2017, 1:33 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
perhaps you could be a bit more specific? CX has 4 types of 777 configurations (77H, 77G, 772Z and 773Z) across 3 different variants (777-300ER, 777-200, 777-300).

772Z and 773Z have the awful regional configuration.

77H and 77G have the pretty darn good Cirrus configuration, although agreed IFE screen is a little outdated.

But honestly, if you're going to complain at least make it well-rounded...I also fly nearly all the competition. CX has a top-5 system with StudioCX in terms of interface and variety, especially if you care about English or Chinese-language TV and movies. I agree the resolution is a downside but really, people can always find reasons to complain. JAL, for example has a huge screen in J and F but that system is buggy (I can't recall who, but at least one or two other carriers use it), and the offerings are definitely far inferior for a native English and Chinese speaker.

and...here is the list we keep maintained of all CX configurations.
Cathay Pacific / Cathay Dragon Fleet, Route and Configuration Guide
Old Oct 16, 2017, 5:30 am

fly SQ
their long haul aircraft ,some of them have the same system CX had in 2004 and no powerpoints!

not a single plane on CX OR KA have such a useless dated system

Can't believe people think CX is behind when it comes to entertainment
in fact it was the first airline that had tvs in all cabins and on all planes
Old Oct 16, 2017, 5:40 am

Programs: CX AY DL
if you are referring to the regional 773s in Y then I completely agree with OP. the last trip I had on it from NRT the avod selection was ~10 channels to rotate from on a really fuzzy screen... reminds me of the KLM 74C Y system.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 5:59 am

Programs: Executive Club
Originally Posted by samuelo
I am aware that CX is the launch customer for the 777-9x but these will not be entering service before 2021. In the interim, does anyone know if CX is planning to refresh/update their existing 777-300s, in particular the IFE? The screen resolution in particular is a joke compared to the hi-def available on CX's own A350 and competitors and the cabins.

Cathay isn't the launch customer for the 777x Emirates is, Cathay were one of the first to order the 777X but aren't the launch customer. Historically CX hasn't done well with being launch customers and tends to shy away from it (early operator of the A346 disaster)

with the deferal of some A350-1000 frames and reduction in the order to save money to pay for KAs A321 order don't be surprised to see CX delay their 777x program. Which would suite them as early build frames tend to be overweight and it delays the final payment for the airframes, which is something cx is looking to do (save cash)
Old Oct 16, 2017, 6:10 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by fishball
if you are referring to the regional 773s in Y then I completely agree with OP. the last trip I had on it from NRT the avod selection was ~10 channels to rotate from on a really fuzzy screen... reminds me of the KLM 74C Y system.
Then I think your last flight was circa 2007?
Old Oct 16, 2017, 8:54 am

Programs: CX AY DL
Originally Posted by sxc
Then I think your last flight was circa 2007?
nope just checked it was 2013
Old Oct 16, 2017, 10:11 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Originally Posted by fishball
nope just checked it was 2013
Yes, in 2013 there were still old old economy seat that only offered fixed TV channel... See the old FAQ

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/15321351-post8.html

But such seat is no longer available in CX fleet
Old Oct 16, 2017, 9:19 pm

Programs: CX Gold, QF Bronze
is the new IFE on 77W = the one on A350-900?
Any Plans to install Wi-Fi on 77W likewise on A350-900?
Old Oct 16, 2017, 9:21 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by derek2010
is the new IFE on 77W = the one on A350-900?
Any Plans to install Wi-Fi on 77W likewise on A350-900?
you might want to read the whole thread first as the first question was already answered.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 2:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by

But honestly, if you're going to complain at least make it well-rounded...I also fly nearly [I
all[/I] the competition. CX has a top-5 system with StudioCX in terms of interface and variety, especially if you care about English or Chinese-language TV and movies. I agree the resolution is a downside but really, people can always find reasons to complain. JAL, for example has a huge screen in J and F but that system is buggy (I can't recall who, but at least one or two other carriers use it), and the offerings are definitely far inferior for a native English and Chinese speaker.
I have recently flown on CX A350, QR 787, 777 and A380, Etihad's A380, Turkish Airlines 777-300ER and all of these aircraft have better screen resolution than CX 777s. The configuration doesn't matter. The screen in business class is like watching a CRT TV when the world has moved to 4K.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.